Other clubs' transfers

Dave

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6160294,00.html

Skysports.com understands Manchester City have tabled a big money offer for Aston Villa winger James Milner.

The England international enjoyed a sparkling 2009/10 campaign, considerably raising his profile.

Reports in January speculated that a number of top clubs were keeping tabs on the talented 24-year-old, with it widely believed that there is still more to come from him in the future.

City have now made the first move, with it believed that Roberto Mancini is willing to part with around £20million to take the reigning PFA Young Player of the Year to Eastlands.

His stock keeps rising, shame we (the club) were so short sighted (including many of the fans)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6159931,00.html

Skysports.com understands Wigan Athletic have turned down a bid from Birmingham City for Charles N'Zogbia.

Reports emerged on Monday that the Blues had tabled an £8million bid for the French winger after Alex McLeish identified the 23-year-old as his prime summer target.

Wigan now value him at £15m, apparently.

Skysports.com understands Manchester City have tabled a big money offer for Aston Villa winger James Milner.

The England international enjoyed a sparkling 2009/10 campaign, considerably raising his profile.

Reports in January speculated that a number of top clubs were keeping tabs on the talented 24-year-old, with it widely believed that there is still more to come from him in the future.

City have now made the first move, with it believed that Roberto Mancini is willing to part with around £20million to take the reigning PFA Young Player of the Year to Eastlands.

His stock keeps rising, shame we (the club) were so short sighted (including many of the fans)

he would never had made it so well with us, aside from the instability due to constant board and managerial changes lets face it we've not exactly got a track record of coaching the best out of players have we? i remember brummie saying he thought villas coaches would get a lot out of milner when they signed him and he's right, that shits not just happening by accident and our players mostly regress for that exact reason imo

Milner hasn't improved that much under Villa though - his touch and passing range are slightly better, but it's not a great deal better. He's simply found a better position more suited to the type of player that he is, and has done this in a stable team under a stable manager that was already challenging for 4th spot before he got there. It's surely understandable that he'd put in better performances because he's in a better team?

Regarding improvements under Villa's coaching, when he was on the wing for them he performed no differently than he did for us. The stats might be better, but again that's down to being in a better team. Ultimately, he was the same for them as he was for us, and their much hyped coaching actually didn't make much of a difference to his game.

he would never had made it so well with us, aside from the instability due to constant board and managerial changes lets face it we've not exactly got a track record of coaching the best out of players have we? i remember brummie saying he thought villas coaches would get a lot out of milner when they signed him and he's right, that shits not just happening by accident and our players mostly regress for that exact reason imo

yeah spot on. Take Duff for example, i know he is significantly older than Milner but i still think this applies. I know his poor spell at Newcastle may well have been partly due to him not being fully committed to the cause, but a large part of it has to go down how he was coached here and how he was told to play. If you look at his impressive season at Fulham, you cant put it all down to him suddenly becoming inspired and motivated again, it has a lot to do with the way he has been coached at Fulham and the structures he has been put in that suit him quite well. In Milners case, from what i understand we insisted on using him as a winger, and now Villa have stuck him in the middle and he is flourishing. I believe this is a big reason as to why high quality players fail to sustain their form when moving on to another club.

yeah spot on. Take Duff for example, i know he is significantly older than Milner but i still think this applies. I know his poor spell at Newcastle may well have been partly due to him not being fully committed to the cause, but a large part of it has to go down how he was coached here and how he was told to play. If you look at his impressive season at Fulham, you cant put it all down to him suddenly becoming inspired and motivated again, it has a lot to do with the way he has been coached at Fulham and the structures he has been put in that suit him quite well. In Milners case, from what i understand we insisted on using him as a winger, and now Villa have stuck him in the middle and he is flourishing. I believe this is a big reason as to why high quality players fail to sustain their form when moving on to another club.

i remember souness played milner in the middle / behind the striker in 1 or 2 pre-season friendlies and thought he'd do a job there for us...lo and behold he was hoy'd out onto the wing or never played once the season started

why would he not be fully comitted to the cause but is at fulham ? more likely it's poor tactics making everyone look bad and leading onto a lack of confidence in themselves and their teammates.

why would he not be fully comitted to the cause but is at fulham ? more likely it's poor tactics making everyone look bad and leading onto a lack of confidence in themselves and their teammates.

that shit snowballs too, after SBR things basically got progressively worse season on season, manager by manager, until it all culminated in relegation

obvious really

Duff hasn't been that good for Fulham anyways in the games I've seen. Just isn't injured all the time.

It didn't stop so many people calling him shit.

I've previously mentioned the stability and coaching problems regarding Taylor's development (and Milner's so i agree entirely) apparently (those on here) reckon it wasn't a factor in his development, and he is just shit as well, and when he fuks off to another club and shines we will just have to sit back and look at our best young players blossoming elsewhere.

Zoggy & Milner should be lesson learned, we sold them for £18m, wigan now want £15m for Zoggy, and Villa £25m for Milner, it makes my heart bleed considering our financial situation.

Guest palnese

What about Arshavin?

I think he's made it quite clear he would like to play for Barca at some stage of his career.

It's pretty much now or never for him.

I'm suprised there was no "Milner, the former Newcastle player, is..." - there usually is! :laugh:

In fact one of these days, I'm expecting the papers to go as a far as "Fabregas, who has never played for Newcastle, moves to Camp Nou on the back of signing a 5-year deal" :lol:

Guest kingdawson

Fabregas is off to Barca.

Great news....but where's this from?

SSN, they reckon he's told Wenger he wants to leave.

Brilliant stuff.