Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Arsenal have £16.9m bid rejected for 2 Dinamo Zagreb youngsters

Dinamo Zagreb claim they have rejected an offer from Arsenal for prized assets Sime Vrsaljko and Mateo Kovacic.

Full-back Vrsaljko, 18, is considered one of the best defensive prospects in European football and has most of the Premier League and Europe's elite chasing him.

16-year-old Kovacic is a highly-rated midfielder, and Dinamo have revealed that Arsenal sent a delegation to Croatia to try and do a deal for the pair earlier this month.

But club vice-president Zdvravko Mamic has stated that he has shunned a €20million (£16.9million) offer from Arsenal.

"Ten days ago we had an special visit in Zagreb," Mamic told Sportski Zurnal.

"Here were people from Arsenal and they were ready to pay 20 million Euros for Vrsaljko and Kovacic.

"But they are to stay in Dinamo, Arsenal just wanted to buy them for the future. But my answer was sharp, I said 'no' in one second."

Mamic admits he is gambling on the pair becoming even more valuable in the future.

"While I have space and no problems at our bank account I can take a risk," he continued.

"Yes, I know I'm playing with luck but so far I am winning. I believe it will be the same in the future."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6526667,00.html

Guest Stephen927

It's strange, for both Wenger and Fergusons obvious qualities at spotting quality players, neither can spot a quality keeper.

I keep thinking Akinfeev would be perfect for them. He's still young but very experienced, he's got a Russian friend there already in Arshavin and he said he aims to be out of Russia by the age of 24. He's now 24.

Having said that, Wenger offered a massive wage rise to Szczesny, so maybe he's promoting him.

Guest kingdawson

If we got Reina we would win the league, i'm sure Hodgson couldn't say no for £20m and he'd go get Schwarzer. Both are happy.

Pardon me? If you had Reina you're still not good enough to win the league.

Your cb's are rather weak for a title winning team. Squillaci and Kocsincy have been ok (Squillaci has actually been better than i remember him at Sevilla tbh). Vermaelen is good and Djorou is meh but all in all not good enough imo.

There's also the fact that Gael Clichy has been out of form for a while and Denilsen is shitter than s*** Btw what the hell's up with Arshavin? he looked the business when he first arrived.

If we got Reina we would win the league, i'm sure Hodgson couldn't say no for £20m and he'd go get Schwarzer. Both are happy.

Pardon me? If you had Reina you're still not good enough to win the league.

Your cb's are rather weak for a title winning team. Squillaci and Kocsincy have been ok (Squillaci has actually been better than i remember him at Sevilla tbh). Vermaelen is good and Djorou is meh but all in all not good enough imo.

There's also the fact that Gael Clichy has been out of form for a while and Denilsen is shitter than s*** Btw what the hell's up with Arshavin? he looked the business when he first arrived.

If we had Reina i firmly believe this season we would have won the league, Djourou is better than Kos and Squillaci has been decent, Vermaelen is a big miss, we'll be stronger once he is back.

What I've never understood about Man Utd and Arsenal's goalkeeping problems, is the fact that so many mid-table teams have been able to keep hold of great, solid 'keepers over the years. Given, Schwarzer, Friedel, Van der Sar, before finally moving to Man Utd, are the ones that immediately spring to mind. For all the other players the top 4 have stolen from the mid-table clubs, surely they could've nabbed a few strong 'keepers that were a long-term prospect along the way?