Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Very short-term thinking there, because you cannot buy being a part of the PL, on a regular basis, if you get my meaning. It's like the promised land.

They're doing what they need to in order to try and stay afloat and rid the club of the "yo-yo" image of recent years.

Obviously if they go down after spending that much then it is an unmitigated disaster for all concerned down there, but if they do stay up and become a regular big club in the PL - like ourselves *smug* - then it'll have been worth it.

See your point Rich, but i just disagree. For seventy million pounds, i know i'd expect a little more than 'Premiership stability'. A lot of teams have survived without spending anywhere near that amount of dosh.

It's obviously what needed to be done, though, as it just about kept them up last season. This season they've spent money on what you'd expect to be "better" players which should kick them on another level.

Who else has come up recently and remained stable like? Reading managed a season and then went back down, after being runaway winners of the Championship, Birmingham and Derby both sunk last season while Sunderland stayed up. Watford and Sheff Utd both went down the year before when Reading did brilliantly, Birmingham and West Brom the season before after 4 seasons and 2 seasons up respectively (hardly stable). And so it goes on.

Wigan were the last team to come up and put together any kind of stability, and they've had to spend a pretty penny to do that as well, even then they've only been a PL team for 3 seasons so far...

It's not easy - or cheap - to do, at all, especially when you've a team as bad as Sunderland's is/was.

Sunderland's plan is obviously to become a PL stalwart, like we are, is there anybody else who has managed that in recent times for a really prolonged period? Only Blackburn, Fulham and Bolton, probably, way back in 01/02, when the market wasn't as crazy as it is now. More recently you've only got Wigan and West Ham who have survived more than 2 seasons since coming up, and even they've been really, really close to going back down at times.

It's a funny one, but as long as they stay up again and can afford to spend the money they have done, you can't really argue.

According to Marca, Manchester United have made an offer for Ajax striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar as an alternative to Dimitar Berbatov. Real Madrid have shown an interest in the Dutch ace and Marca claim United have bid for Huntelaar as a minor act of revenge for the Spanish champions' pursuit of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Very short-term thinking there, because you cannot buy being a part of the PL, on a regular basis, if you get my meaning. It's like the promised land.

They're doing what they need to in order to try and stay afloat and rid the club of the "yo-yo" image of recent years.

Obviously if they go down after spending that much then it is an unmitigated disaster for all concerned down there, but if they do stay up and become a regular big club in the PL - like ourselves *smug* - then it'll have been worth it.

See your point Rich, but i just disagree. For seventy million pounds, i know i'd expect a little more than 'Premiership stability'. A lot of teams have survived without spending anywhere near that amount of dosh.

It's obviously what needed to be done, though, as it just about kept them up last season. This season they've spent money on what you'd expect to be "better" players which should kick them on another level.

Who else has come up recently and remained stable like? Reading managed a season and then went back down, after being runaway winners of the Championship, Birmingham and Derby both sunk last season while Sunderland stayed up. Watford and Sheff Utd both went down the year before when Reading did brilliantly, Birmingham and West Brom the season before after 4 seasons and 2 seasons up respectively (hardly stable). And so it goes on.

Wigan were the last team to come up and put together any kind of stability, and they've had to spend a pretty penny to do that as well, even then they've only been a PL team for 3 seasons so far...

It's not easy - or cheap - to do, at all, especially when you've a team as bad as Sunderland's is/was.

Sunderland's plan is obviously to become a PL stalwart, like we are, is there anybody else who has managed that in recent times for a really prolonged period? Only Blackburn, Fulham and Bolton, probably, way back in 01/02, when the market wasn't as crazy as it is now. More recently you've only got Wigan and West Ham who have survived more than 2 seasons since coming up, and even they've been really, really close to going back down at times.

It's a funny one, but as long as they stay up again and can afford to spend the money they have done, you can't really argue.

I agree that Sunderland's spending is necessary to ensure Premiership survival, but I think they may be over-spending on the wrong type of players long term. Diouff, Chimbonda and possibly Malbranque won't give a rat's arse about Sunderland within 4 months IMO.

Who else can they get?

Until that "yo-yo" tag is rid of, if it does even happen, they're going to struggle to attract the "right" sort of players. I honestly think it's just a case of Keane getting hold of what he can in a scattergun approach. As long as the backing is there and it's not going to be debt for club, it's probably fair enough.

As footballers, Diouf, Chimbonda and Malbranque are more than good enough, but like you've alluded to they may not have the necessary attitude for the long haul. Suppose we'll see by the end of this season though whether players have been worth the fees they've commanded, and not just Sunderland players. I hope you're right about them though, because otherwise they will be another rung up the ladder to stability.

Given their lack of appeal to footballers of any stature, I think Diouff, Chimbonda and Malbranque are as good as Roy Keane is going to get. That's not to say the job couldn't be done better though. Keane will be a name-chaser like Souness, I doubt he's got much of a scouting network. He's probably looking in the papers to see who we are after then putting in a bid (David Healey?)

It'll be interesting to compare Sunderland's progress with boro this season. Both are clubs which would find it difficult to attract good players, so I suppose it will come down to which has the better management set up.

Would be a good signing for Sunderland if they pull it off.

His pace would be a huge asset for them, and he would form a pretty athletic and speedy partnership with Jones when he returns.

Interesting.

Mightn't be the most reliable but will score goals for them as he has done everywhere and him and Jones would certainly be a handful

Virtually confirmed - from the BBC:

Cisse close to Sunderland switch

Dijbril Cisse

Cisse suffered a broken leg twice in three years earlier in his career

Marseille say they have negotiated an "agreement in principle" for former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse to join Sunderland on a season-long loan.

Black Cats boss Roy Keane has made several summer signings but after his side lost their opening game to Liverpool he said he hoped to add more.

Cisse, 27, joined Liverpool in 2004 but only scored 15 goals in two injury-plagued seasons.

In July 2007 he joined Marseille on a permanent move after a loan spell.

Cisse, who was a member of Liverpool's Champions League-winning team in 2006, broke both legs during his time at Anfield, missing the 2006 World Cup because of the second injury.

But he seems to have made a full recovery, scoring 16 goals for Marseilles last season, and has been keen to return to playing in the Premier League.

Keane has already signed Tottenham trio Teemu Tainio, Steed Malbranque, Pascal Chimbonda and El Hadji Diouf this summer.

Guest neesy111

Virtually confirmed - from the BBC:

Cisse close to Sunderland switch

Dijbril Cisse

Cisse suffered a broken leg twice in three years earlier in his career

Marseille say they have negotiated an "agreement in principle" for former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse to join Sunderland on a season-long loan.

Black Cats boss Roy Keane has made several summer signings but after his side lost their opening game to Liverpool he said he hoped to add more.

Cisse, 27, joined Liverpool in 2004 but only scored 15 goals in two injury-plagued seasons.

In July 2007 he joined Marseille on a permanent move after a loan spell.

Cisse, who was a member of Liverpool's Champions League-winning team in 2006, broke both legs during his time at Anfield, missing the 2006 World Cup because of the second injury.

But he seems to have made a full recovery, scoring 16 goals for Marseilles last season, and has been keen to return to playing in the Premier League.

Keane has already signed Tottenham trio Teemu Tainio, Steed Malbranque, Pascal Chimbonda and El Hadji Diouf this summer.

crap signing, couldn't cut it at a top 4 club, not going to get better with the mackems

16 goals in the french league is hardly prolific. Never mind trying to convert that form into our league.

The positive is that when he's fit, he's an athlete so at least he will work defenders.

Tainio

Reid

Malbranque                                      Diouf

Cisse

Jones

Better front six than the shite they had last year like.

16 goals in the french league is hardly prolific. Never mind trying to convert that form into our league.

The positive is that when he's fit, he's an athlete so at least he will work defenders.

joint third top scorer behind Gomis and Niang IIRC

joint third top scorer behind Gomis and Niang IIRC

Doesn't change anything. I'm not one of these people who is convinced Gomis would be a hit in our league, it takes alot to make that step up. Hardly set the euros alive, although admittedly he didn't play a great deal.

Cisse was average last time, he won't come back any better but like i say, better than Chopra etc.