Other clubs' transfers

Dave

I tend to agree, the club accepted a bid for him, a relatively low bid in regards to English players infact. He was offered probably twice the money he'd be getting at Villa.

So O'Neill was willing to let him go, he got offered crazy wages, what would you do in his position?

Guest Heneage

Someone a bit more knowledgeable on Italian football: are Genoa quite heavily financed? They strike me as a relatively small club with big ambitions, they finished top 6 this year didnt they, nearly top 4?

They're a modestly wealthy club who've had a great season from what I can see, they finished 4th, so have greater financial clowt this season, and will also be able to attract the players from being in the Champions League.

The aren't a small club by any means, have a good history. Infact I think I'm right in saying they're the oldest club in Italy.

This.

They've had a tremendous season breaking into the top four. The true test for them is how they replace the two they've just lost, Motta and Milito especially are big players for them, and it will be important to see if Crespo and Juninho can pick up that slack and perform, Juninho should in theory.

'Small' was a bad choice of language, what I meant was they don't have the immediate fame of Juve, Inter or Milan.

Good on them, hope they do well. Where has Milito gone to?

I haven't really kept up with Italian football past couple of months.

'Small' was a bad choice of language, what I meant was they don't have the immediate fame of Juve, Inter or Milan.

Good on them, hope they do well. Where has Milito gone to?

I haven't really kept up with Italian football past couple of months.

Motta and Milito both buggered off to Inter.

Someone a bit more knowledgeable on Italian football: are Genoa quite heavily financed? They strike me as a relatively small club with big ambitions, they finished top 6 this year didnt they, nearly top 4?

They're a modestly wealthy club who've had a great season from what I can see, they finished 4th, so have greater financial clowt this season, and will also be able to attract the players from being in the Champions League.

The aren't a small club by any means, have a good history. Infact I think I'm right in saying they're the oldest club in Italy.

This.

They've had a tremendous season breaking into the top four. The true test for them is how they replace the two they've just lost, Motta and Milito especially are big players for them, and it will be important to see if Crespo and Juninho can pick up that slack and perform, Juninho should in theory.

Finished fifth.

I honestly don't buy the "Barry is the anti christ" crap that seems to be going on here. He cost Villa nothing, he gave them 12 years service, they just made 12 million off his sale.

I don't care what he said last year about CL football, at the end of the day he's got the chance to secure his financial future, one last big pay day and join a club that has the financial muscle to compete with the big four. TBH I don't think he needs to apologies to anyone.

I hope you didn't give Given any stick then.

Guest The Libertine

the club accepted a bid for him, a relatively low bid in regards to English players infact. He was offered probably twice the money he'd be getting at Villa.

So O'Neill was willing to let him go, he got offered crazy wages, what would you do in his position?

the bits in bold are because he'd leave for free next summer so obviously they'd accept £12 million. the rest speaks volumes.

I honestly don't buy the "Barry is the anti christ" crap that seems to be going on here. He cost Villa nothing, he gave them 12 years service, they just made 12 million off his sale.

I don't care what he said last year about CL football, at the end of the day he's got the chance to secure his financial future, one last big pay day and join a club that has the financial muscle to compete with the big four. TBH I don't think he needs to apologies to anyone.

He's not leaving a relegation threatened club mid-season having been arguably their best player all year though, so it isn't a similar situation really.

I didn't give a shit about Given going TBH, I was never a huge fan and still think although he's an excellent shot stopper he's far from the complete GK. Find a post from me saying I was desperate for Given to stay.

If he had left at the end of the season and not in the middle of a relegation battle, then I think the vast majority of people on here would have wished him well.

So your lame attempt at catching me out is just a little bit crap tbh.

Guest Heneage

This.

Finished fifth.

My apologies then I thought they had finished 4th, 5th is still an achievement.

The deal for Milito and Motta seems to have seriously played Inter for fools.

He's not leaving a relegation threatened club mid-season having been arguably their best player all year though, so it isn't a similar situation really.

I think its very similiar in many ways.  Infact Barry's is possibly even worse ..

No one in football thought we would actually go down and i'm sure most of our players in January didn't expect us to go down either certainly not Given - with or without him being there.

Barry left to 'win trophies' - his team actually finished higher than them, and he joins a packed midfield, i don't think he is going to start every game at Man City and they aren't even playing in Europe.  Villa were showing a fair bit of ambition, spending quite big that summer.

Now for Given he had just conceded 5 at St James to Liverpool, had no manager, ownership issues and also lets not forget Shay was discussing a new contract in December - something obviously happened there and as a team we were showing fuck all ambition.  He joined knowing he was going to be number 1 keeper and they were playing in Europe.

I didn't give a s*** about Given going TBH, I was never a huge fan and still think although he's an excellent shot stopper he's far from the complete GK. Find a post from me saying I was desperate for Given to stay.

If he had left at the end of the season and not in the middle of a relegation battle, then I think the vast majority of people on here would have wished him well.

Jesus wept, read my post again buddy.  I said 'I hope you didn't', as i know a huge number of people turned on him despite his 10 plus years here.

Did I actually say you did that?  Your reading and understanding skills on that post were just a bit crap tbh.

I think its very similiar in many ways.  Infact Barry's is possibly even worse ..

No one in football thought we would actually go down and i'm sure most of our players in January didn't expect us to go down either certainly not Given - with or without him being there.

Barry left to 'win trophies' - his team actually finished higher than them, and he joins a packed midfield, i don't think he is going to start every game at Man City and they aren't even playing in Europe.  Villa were showing a fair bit of ambition, spending quite big that summer.

Now for Given he had just conceded 5 at St James to Liverpool, had no manager, ownership issues and also lets not forget Shay was discussing a new contract in December - something obviously happened there and as a team we were showing f*** all ambition.  He joined knowing he was going to be number 1 keeper and they were playing in Europe.

Where exactly are all the threads villifying Given ? The general concensus from the people on this board was that the timing suxed, we got a crap deal and Given could have at least waited till the end of the season. Most did not begrudge his move and recognised his loyal service to the club. When he returns to SJP (I should say if that happens) with Man City, he'll still get a great reception, I'm not so sure that will be the case with Barry and Villa.

I didn't give a s*** about Given going TBH, I was never a huge fan and still think although he's an excellent shot stopper he's far from the complete GK. Find a post from me saying I was desperate for Given to stay.

Jesus wept, read my post again buddy.  I said 'I hope you didn't', as i know a huge number of people turned on him despite his 10 plus years here.

Did I actually say you did that?  Your reading and understanding skills on that post were just a bit crap tbh.

You tried lamely to catch me out you sad little weasel and failed, honestly don't try stuff you are in capable of.

You tried lamely to catch me out you sad little weasel and failed, honestly don't try stuff you are in capable of.

You really don't have a clue.  When people say 'I hope' it's not an accusation, i thought even idiots can tell the difference.

And a response to your previous question, a fair number of similiar kind of posts in the style of this

Thoughts on the deal itself:

Fine, he's gone. A player swap would have been ideal but we all know that those kinds of deals are notoriously hard to work out so as long as we got an acceptable sum (which I trust we have,) it's not a big deal. The only thing now is that money MUST be reinvested into the squad immediately. If not, the pitchforks come out tomorrow evening.

Thoughts on Shay Given:

Emotionally, I feel devastated. I think we've all been taking Shay for granted for a long time now. Despite the fact that he's been blatantly too good for us for several years now, we'd come to think that he'd never leave. For that reason I feel like he never really got the appreciation he deserved. A lot of people got on his back whenever he had a rare downturn in form, and the "is Given world class or not?" Debate is surely one of the most idiotic conversations that's ever gone on in this board. I feel like I would if my lass left me for some blinged out kid with a Porsche.

Rationally? He can go f*** himself. I refuse to cave into the "he's done enough for us, good luck to him" attitude. Fact of the matter is he knows as well as anyone that we're well in the s*** and that the very survival of this club rests on the next few months. Is it really that hard for him to put his move off till the summer? What the f*** is he going to do by moving to Man City 6 months early, help them finish the season at tenth? He's ditched us in our hour of greatest need for a club that won't get UEFA football this season and might not even get it next season, never mind the Champions league. The truth is that he's just no longer bothered with us anymore, he's nothing more than a rat abandoning a sinking ship and pocketing a bit of cash on the way. He cares absolutely nothing for this club or its fans and I refuse to care about him.

I hope he breaks his leg or gets replaced with Buffon in the summer. Preferably both.

f***ing asshole.

I know you seem to have trouble reading and understanding so i will give you the brief - oldtype doesn't like him all that much O0

Guest north shields lad

Chelsea have bid £73.5million for Kaka according to Sky

and chelsea will pay 10.5 million a year, so with bonuses they will have spent more in 2 years on a single player, than our club is worth. hahahahahahahaha

I don't understand Chelsea, tbh. I'm sure that even if they win the Champions League for the next four years running they'll still never recoup the money they've doled out.

When Abramovich bought them he clearly didn't care about making money, it was just a little toy for him to play about with.

Would still be very shocked if he spent that much on Kaka now though, considering how much he lost in the credit crunch.

Now for Given he had just conceded 5 at St James to Liverpool, had no manager, ownership issues and also lets not forget Shay was discussing a new contract in December - something obviously happened there and as a team we were showing f*** all ambition.  He joined knowing he was going to be number 1 keeper and they were playing in Europe.

Thing is as said, clearly a lot of players believe man city will soon be challenging the top 4.

Their potential is higher than villas even at this point. With villa it'll be a slow progression if they ever do make it.

Under man city, with the money they have....they just need their rep to increase gradually...buying in players like barry will do this.

Then soon enough, they'll be able to compete with the likes of chelsea & united easily.

They have the potential to be challenging for the title if they spend wisely. Add in crazy wages & theres a big pull...which is understandable.

Givens move was also understandable on the whole.

The issue came when he started claiming he really cared for our club, yet decided to leave us in the middle of a relegation battle when he could have atleast tried to help until the summer if he really gave a cack. The clubs would still have wanted him then. So it was just a moronic statement/decision based on that.