Other clubs' transfers

Dave

It's all a question of fitting them into the team. Tottenham for example just seemingly bought midfielder after midfielder, just so they could have them, not to fit them systematically into the team. Moyes knew exactly where he wanted each player, and what role they would play at the club. Aye there's an element of fortune because they could turn out shit, but any player plucked from a lower level could potentially turn out to be shit. To buy these players and for them to come good time and time again is a glowing reflection of the footballing nous of the man.

But naturally, I'm biased.  O0

a) Shorey has been a piece of crap. £5 mill?

b) Curtis davies at nearly £10 mill? lmao.

c) £12 mill for Milner...My god.

d) Reo coker for £8mill...wow.

E) Maron Harewood...Jesus Christ.

You just don't get it do you.

From the top.

Shorey - didn't feature for much of the season, then did very well at the end. Hutton cost TWICE as much as Shorey, how's he done?

Curtis Davies - called into the England squad this season. Cost a lot less than Bale did. How's Bale done so far?

James Milner - yes, he was expensive and we paid too much, but he produced the goods and has been called into the England squad. For a direct comparison, how's David Bentley done for you at half as much again?

Reo-Coker - come back and look at this post this time in a week or so, he'll be a Tottenham player, so you can choke on that one yourself.

Marlon Harewood - see my point earlier about Pavyluchenko who has made the same number of PL appearances for you as Harewood has for us, and scored exactly the same number of goals as him, despite starting 20 times more games than Harewood has, and despite costing 14 MILLION POUNDS.

If you're going to be throwing stones, I suggest you step out of the glass house first.  :snod:

I'm not trying to put our transfer activity in the bracket of Everton's at all, I said it was much more impressive than ours.

However, for all your listing of transfer purchases you think were too expensive, we've finished in a European place, and spent much of the season in the top four.

You spent similar amounts of money on players who performed considerably worse (Bale? Hutton?) and had you spending large tracts of this season in the bottom reaches of the table.

I'd suggest you're in no position to laugh at our transfer activity (which has taken us from relegation certainties to two successive top six finishes in three years), whereas we - and the rest of the country - are in a perfectly good position to laugh at yours.

Which is why we do.

Guest kingdawson

The difference is Moyes has taken a series of gambles that have paid off. Lescott, Jags, Cahill all performed at a lower level and someone took a punt on them in the top league. They could have turned out s****, fortunately for him they haven't. Contrast that with Spurs and the only player in recent memory you've signed from the Championship is Gareth Bale at a fee of up to £10m, which is more than the Everton signings put together.

As for Villa's signings, they sum up the price you have to pay for your England players these days. Davies, at £9m, spent a season at Villa first so they had the option to buy, and I don't think he's been bad by any means. Milner at £12m, well we said at the time he's overpriced but when you think he's 23 and already has UEFA cup experience and has played about 50 Under 21 games, he's obviously highly thought of. Contrast him with Bentley who cost Spurs about £16m and hasn't done much, for example Milner has been in the England squad this season more than Bentley has. Reo-Coker at £8m, most said was a decent buy having been good for West Ham and England Under 21 captain, for whatever reason it's gone sour for him but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Shorey I think was turd when he first arrived, got dropped for 6 months and was decent again at the tailend of the season, but £5m for a man who had ust broken into the England squad isn't a lot of money - although in contrast Everton only paid £6m for Baines who has grown into a top notch left back imo, and is about 4 years younger.

Marlon Harewood however, is s***.

Dawson  £4m

Huddlestone  £1m

Lennon  500k

Routledge  £1m

Reid  £4m

Gunter £2m

The difference is Moyes has taken a series of gambles that have paid off. Lescott, Jags, Cahill all performed at a lower level and someone took a punt on them in the top league. They could have turned out s****, fortunately for him they haven't. Contrast that with Spurs and the only player in recent memory you've signed from the Championship is Gareth Bale at a fee of up to £10m, which is more than the Everton signings put together.

As for Villa's signings, they sum up the price you have to pay for your England players these days. Davies, at £9m, spent a season at Villa first so they had the option to buy, and I don't think he's been bad by any means. Milner at £12m, well we said at the time he's overpriced but when you think he's 23 and already has UEFA cup experience and has played about 50 Under 21 games, he's obviously highly thought of. Contrast him with Bentley who cost Spurs about £16m and hasn't done much, for example Milner has been in the England squad this season more than Bentley has. Reo-Coker at £8m, most said was a decent buy having been good for West Ham and England Under 21 captain, for whatever reason it's gone sour for him but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Shorey I think was turd when he first arrived, got dropped for 6 months and was decent again at the tailend of the season, but £5m for a man who had ust broken into the England squad isn't a lot of money - although in contrast Everton only paid £6m for Baines who has grown into a top notch left back imo, and is about 4 years younger.

Dawson   £4m

Huddlestone  £1m

Lennon   500k

Routledge  £1m

Reid  £4m

Gunter £2m

Routledge - 4 years ago

Huddlestone - 4 years ago

Lennon - 4 years ago

Reid - 4 years ago

Dawson - 4 years ago

Guest kingdawson

From the top.

Shorey - didn't feature for much of the season, then did very well at the end. Hutton cost TWICE as much as Shorey, how's he done?

Curtis Davies - called into the England squad this season. Cost a lot less than Bale did. How's Bale done so far?

James Milner - yes, he was expensive and we paid too much, but he produced the goods and has been called into the England squad. For a direct comparison, how's David Bentley done for you at half as much again?

Reo-Coker - come back and look at this post this time in a week or so, he'll be a Tottenham player, so you can choke on that one yourself.

Marlon Harewood - see my point earlier about Pavyluchenko who has made the same number of PL appearances for you as Harewood has for us, and scored exactly the same number of goals as him, despite starting 20 times more games than Harewood has, and despite costing 14 MILLION POUNDS.

If you're going to be throwing stones, I suggest you step out of the glass house first.  :snod:

I'm not trying to put our transfer activity in the bracket of Everton's at all, I said it was much more impressive than ours.

However, for all your listing of transfer purchases you think were too expensive, we've finished in a European place, and spent much of the season in the top four.

You spent similar amounts of money on players who performed considerably worse (Bale? Hutton?) and had you spending large tracts of this season in the bottom reaches of the table.

I'd suggest you're in no position to laugh at our transfer activity (which has taken us from relegation certainties to two successive top six finishes in three years), whereas we - and the rest of the country - are in a perfectly good position to laugh at yours.

Which is why we do.

Yeh keep laughing....whilst your laughing i'll proceed to ask you what you did with such a superior transfer policy, you'll then inform me that you did f*** all, won f*** all, nothing much of note....i'll then shake my head in disgust and proceed to walk away from you without having the decency to say a simple "bye".

The fact that you're trying to somehow inform me that Shorey was a good buy says it all (btw Pav scored plentt of cup goals if you missed it).

Guest kingdawson

Lennon was £1m.

And Huddlestone was £3m.

Actually you're wrong. Sorry to dissapoint you.

Guest firetotheworks

From the top.

Which is why we do.

Yeh keep laughing....whilst your laughing i'll proceed to ask you what you did with such a superior transfer policy, you'll then inform me that you did f*** all, won f*** all, nothing much of note....i'll then shake my head in disgust and proceed to walk away from you without having the decency to say a simple "bye".

The fact that you're trying to somehow inform me that Shorey was a good buy says it all (btw Pav scored plentt of cup goals if you missed it).

Wew, the hypocrisy is astounding.

Guest kingdawson

Dawson   £4m

Huddlestone  £1m

Lennon   500k

Routledge  £1m

Reid  £4m

Gunter £2m

Routledge - 4 years ago

Huddlestone - 4 years ago

Lennon - 4 years ago

Reid - 4 years ago

Dawson - 4 years ago

Thanks for informing me. Can you now list me the various different times within the 4  years your club gambled on players in the Championship (and i'm not talking about times where the other club see you comming a mile off and make you pay double the value)..i mean a cheap gamble?

Guest kingdawson

Wikipedia :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems:... you actually had the nerve to back up your argument with wikipedia :mackems: :mackems: :mackems:...

Man this is something else.

Guest Heneage

Wikipedia :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems:... you actually had the nerve to back up your argument with wikipedia :mackems: :mackems: :mackems:...

Man this is something else.

Ok then.

Prove that your figures are correct.

Ages ago it was said that Leeds offered Lennon to Newcastle for £1m and Souness turned it down. I would assume that it was around £1m for Lennon that Spurs would pay.

"The Yorkshireman, who arrived at Spurs for £1m from Leeds in 2005, was this week named in Stuart Pearce's England Under-21 side for the friendlies against Norway and France later this month."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7955066.stm

Its reported that Derby received £2.5m for Huddlestone. (Just google Huddlestone £2.5m Derby)

Guest kingdawson

From the top.

Which is why we do.

This is what happens when you don't read peoples post. Where have i been hypocritical?...

1)  I said that our policy has been s****

2) I say Villa's is just as bad but in a different way.

3) Villa fan informs me that he laughs at our transfer policy

4) I inform him that he has no right laughing when his team fail him and do nothing, despite having a better transfer policy (in his opinion)

5) I inform him that even with our s*** transfer policy, we still have won a cup in recent times and managed to properly challenge the top 4 (his club have done neither).

6) He implies that Villa's policy is somewhat similiar to Evertons

7) I inform him that it certainly isnt as they actually manage to negiotiate good prices for player whereas Villa pay double or treble what they should be paying.

Guest Heneage

It's laughable KD is even having a dig at Villa, they have been far better than Spurs this season who at times have been laughable with their transfer dealings.

Lennon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/5029096.stm

The 19-year-old, who has been included in England's World Cup squad, left Leeds to join Spurs for £1m last July.

Huddlestone:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/4227853.stm

The versatile 18-year-old, who can play in defence as well, will join the White Hart Lane outfit in the summer in a deal which could be worth £2.5m.

Guest kingdawson

It's laughable KD is even having a dig at Villa, they have been far better than Spurs this season who at times have been laughable with their transfer dealings.

"Kd is having a dig at Villa". You see what happens. Brummie has been having digs the whole time, i repond by informing him of his teams on faults, then sad people twist it to me "having a dig".

Guest Heneage

"Kd is having a dig at Villa". You see what happens. Brummie has been having digs the whole time, i repond by informing him of his teams on faults, then sad people twist it to me "having a dig".

Villa have bought players that have done a job, I see nothing wrong with their policy.

Guest kingdawson

Villa have bought players that have done a job, I see nothing wrong with their policy.

Then you're delusional or know fuck all about football (the latter would be my guess).

1) Cueller for £10m?

2) Davies is a decent player but £9M?

3) Milner for £12m? (i'm pretty sure you was one of many on here who laughed their heads off when Villa offered that, but i guess it's different now)

4) Shorey?

5) Fridiel and Young have been good.

6) Heskey?

Can Newcastle fans actually criticise other clubs over transfer dealings? I mean we are hardly a decent club at buying and selling. Players for high prices and 'freebies' which actually turn out to be £5m deals.

Both clubs have their own faults. Villa and Tottenham have spent vast sums in the past and at present have probably challenged the top four equally, although having said that no one has broken the top four. Villa suffer from English players being overpriced and MON's liking of an English core whereas Spurs seem to get players on slightly inflated prices due to their form after a major tournament. Although the last window was pretty ridiculous from Spurs buying back players they sold on and they have had a few failures (Kaboul, Dos Santos and maybe Bentley).

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Then you're delusional or know fuck all about football (the latter would be my guess).

1) Cueller for £10m?

3) Milner for £12m? (i'm pretty sure you was one of many on here who laughed their heads off when Villa offered that, but i guess it's different now)

4) Shorey?

6) Heskey?

That's exactly the same post you made before except now you've included some successful signings as well, your weak arguement has weakened even further.

1) Cueller for £10m?

4) Shorey?

6) Heskey?

That's exactly the same post you made before except now you've included some successful signings as well, your weak arguement has weakened even further.

:lol:

Guest firetotheworks

From the top.

Which is why we do.

This is what happens when you don't read peoples post. Where have i been hypocritical?...

1)  I said that our policy has been s****

2) I say Villa's is just as bad but in a different way.

3) Villa fan informs me that he laughs at our transfer policy

4) I inform him that he has no right laughing when his team fail him and do nothing, despite having a better transfer policy (in his opinion)

5) I inform him that even with our s*** transfer policy, we still have won a cup in recent times and managed to properly challenge the top 4 (his club have done neither).

6) He implies that Villa's policy is somewhat similiar to Evertons

7) I inform him that it certainly isnt as they actually manage to negiotiate good prices for player whereas Villa pay double or treble what they should be paying.

...because you're criticising Villa for 'doing fuck all and winning fuck all' when with their policy they spent less than you, and finished considerably higher than you.

Also number 7 matters not if you get what you pay for. Thats the point. 12million for Milner is obviously too much, but he's performed in the team. Ashley Young is another example. If they perform their price doesnt really matter. Spurs have paid a lot for players who havent performed, thats the difference.

Guest Heneage

Then you're delusional or know f*** all about football (the latter would be my guess).

1) Cueller for £10m?

4) Shorey?

6) Heskey?

Where did Villa finish this season?

Where did Man City finish?

Where did Tottenham finish?

The ends justified the means, Cuellar and Davies have looked good, Davies looked NT quality when Laursen was with him. Milner has been average but by no means a flop. Shorey has looked ok what exactly you are expecting from a left back I don't quite know. Heskey again has been there 6 months and looked average, but for £3.5 m is ok.

At the end of the day KingDawson you can act like a pretentious condescending sod and claim I don't know football lolz, or you can look at the table and acknowledge that those players got Villa to finish sixth in the league, something Tottenham never looked like doing despite spending a shed load of money on the likes of Dos Santos, Bentley and , Gomes who you then tried to replace with Cuddicini .