Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Jagielka, Arteta, Cahill, Lescott, Pienaar, Baines.

None of them particularly outstanding when first bought, and certainly none of them big-name.

And exactly why Everton are far more of a challenge to the top four than Spurs, whilst Spurs continue to live in this bizarre Fantasy Football transfer world - which will go on for a while longer as they now have a manager who loves that kind of thing.

Jagielka, Arteta, Cahill, Lescott, Pienaar, Baines.

None of them particularly outstanding when first bought, and certainly none of them big-name.

Shown by the fact that I embarrassingly can't name their old clubs!

Filling up squads with mediocre players will see you never do anything of note imo. The fact that Curtis Davies cost roughly the same amount as Berbatov (Milner actually cost more) says it all about your boring ass transfer policy.

I hadn't noticed this bit.

David Bentley - 15m, Ashley Young 9m

Except signing players from Watford is probably "boring ass"  by your weird definition of what the point of football is. I thought it was to sign players who contribute to a productive teamt.

You also mentioned Marlon Harewood. Well, he's a good example, so let's compare him to another expensive, flop of a show pony, Pavyluchenko.

Both have played 29 league games for their club, and both have scored 5 goals. Except Payluchenko, who cost a lot more than Harebrain and probably earns twice as much, started 19 games, whereas Harewood has only ever started 1.

The Spurs approach seems to be to go for players with fancy foreign names or absurd haircuts. Or players they only sold about 3 months before.

I've demonstrated to you why our approach works better than yours, by any measure you like, other than the fact that we havent won the League Cup for 15 years, whereas you have.

Filling up squads with mediocre players will see you never do anything of note imo. The fact that Curtis Davies cost roughly the same amount as Berbatov (Milner actually cost more) says it all about your boring ass transfer policy.

Except signing players from Watford is probably "boring ass"  by your weird definition of what the point of football is. I thought it was to sign players who contribute to a productive teamt.

The Spurs approach seems to be to go for players with fancy foreign names or absurd haircuts. Or players they only sold about 3 months before.

I've demonstrated to you why our approach works better than yours, by any measure you like, other than the fact that we havent won the League Cup for 15 years, whereas you have.

Tbh no one thought Bentley was a bad signing.  Young at the time was more ridiculous, but hindsight is awesome.

Tbh no one thought Bentley was a bad signing.  Young at the time was more ridiculous, but hindsight is awesome.

Bentley has always been overrated.  It was embarrassing when the media started saying he was Beckham's successor.

You can only judge players on how they perform. Bentley has had a nightmare (I still think he's a good player, he just went to a career graveyard of a club), Young has been an inspired signing.

Spurs wouldn't go near players of the type Neil listed, people like Jagielka or Cahill, because they think they're not flair enough. Everton do, though, with the result that they're the best side outside the top four, whilst Spurs remain buoyed almost entirely by hype.

Btw just to confirm I wasn't intending to blow our trumpet, more just countering KD's pathetic "your transfer policy is boring" attitude aimed towards Villa.

Villa's transfer policy may be flawed in the sense of some of MON's signings haven't turned out great (Maloney, Harewood, Davies, Reo-Coker for example IMO haven't been impressive when played), but howay, name me a manager who doesn't make any signings that don't impress? Per, fucking, Kroldrup.

Spurs were also in for Young when you got him, along with West Ham.

Quite annoyed we didn't go after him. Exactly the sort of pacy wide man who can really impact upon a game we needed then, and still need now. But yeah, of course, hindsight is great. I must admit I sniggered at the £9.6m (?) transfer fee at the time. Things change.

Guest kingdawson

This is true.

Swansea have recieved a bid for Jason Scotland from Burnley

Vultures circling the carcass that was once a decent Swansea football team.

Aye they could struggle this year.

or Chelsea

Hmmm, would CA go for him? Reckon he'll stick with Italian based players, the guy is a bit one dimensional and limited to what and who he knows.

Can see Pato & Pirlo coming in before Tevez.

Guest kingdawson

Oh look Villa have signed Luke young

Oh look Villa have signed Nicky Shorey

Oh look Villa have signed Curtis Davies

Oh look Villa have signed James Milner

Oh look Villa have signed Marlon Harewood

Oh look Villa have signed Nigel Reo Coker

Oh look Villa have signed Emile Heskey

There you go, perfect example of why Spurs are so laughable, not stopping to think about how those players have performed, but having a laugh at the fact they don't have fancy foreign names?

I judge on how the players do, myself.

Of that list, Davies has been called up to the national team this year, as has Milner, Heskey starts for the national side, Luke Young has been brilliant for us all season, probably our most consistent player (talking of which, how did that really expensive Scottish full back you signed last year do for you? Or that Welsh one?)

As for Reo-Coker, I wouldn't be taking the piss on him, mate, as strong rumour has it he's signing for you next week (bit of a comedown from Robben, Huntelaar and co, but needs must).

As for "giving up like spineless cowards", we ran out of steam, not having a strong enough squad. That's not quite the same as "giving up".

As for

I sound small time? who gives a f***. I'd rather sound small time and get happy winning the league cup then sound arrogant depite my team not doing anything worthwhile for years and years.

Mate, your team has done nothing worthwhile for years and years. That's the Spurs delusion, right there, that is exactly my point.

Still, I'll leave you to pull your "Glory Glory 2008 League Cup Winners" bedspread over your head and pretend things are different.

Why are you talking about how they've performed for you?, i'm talking about if they were good signings at the time you actually signed them. Spurs delusion lmao. I openly admit our teams policy has been bad wheras you go on as if you've done something impressive. You actually can't bring yousrelf to admit that....

a) Shorey has been a piece of crap. £5 mill?

b) Curtis davies at nearly £10 mill? lmao.

c) £12 mill for Milner...My god.

d) Reo coker for £8mill...wow.

E) Maron Harewood...Jesus Christ.

You're desperatly trying to put your transfer activity in the same bracket as Everton's but you forget 1 important fact which i will explain to you. You see Everton actually get those players for decent to low transfer fees (Jagielka, Lescott, pienaar, Chail, all under £5mill i think). Your lot on the other hand proceed to get mugged off left right and centre for mediocre players, or players your taking a risk on...Makes no sense.

Guest firetotheworks

Oh look Villa have signed Luke young

Oh look Villa have signed Nicky Shorey

Oh look Villa have signed Curtis Davies

Oh look Villa have signed James Milner

Oh look Villa have signed Marlon Harewood

Oh look Villa have signed Nigel Reo Coker

Oh look Villa have signed Emile Heskey

There you go, perfect example of why Spurs are so laughable, not stopping to think about how those players have performed, but having a laugh at the fact they don't have fancy foreign names?

I judge on how the players do, myself.

Of that list, Davies has been called up to the national team this year, as has Milner, Heskey starts for the national side, Luke Young has been brilliant for us all season, probably our most consistent player (talking of which, how did that really expensive Scottish full back you signed last year do for you? Or that Welsh one?)

As for Reo-Coker, I wouldn't be taking the piss on him, mate, as strong rumour has it he's signing for you next week (bit of a comedown from Robben, Huntelaar and co, but needs must).

As for "giving up like spineless cowards", we ran out of steam, not having a strong enough squad. That's not quite the same as "giving up".

As for

I sound small time? who gives a f***. I'd rather sound small time and get happy winning the league cup then sound arrogant depite my team not doing anything worthwhile for years and years.

Mate, your team has done nothing worthwhile for years and years. That's the Spurs delusion, right there, that is exactly my point.

Still, I'll leave you to pull your "Glory Glory 2008 League Cup Winners" bedspread over your head and pretend things are different.

Why are you talking about how they've performed for you?, i'm talking about if they were good signings at the time you actually signed them. Spurs delusion lmao. I openly admit our teams policy has been bad wheras you go on as if you've done something impressive. You actually can't bring yousrelf to admit that....

a) Shorey has been a piece of crap. £5 mill?

b) Curtis davies at nearly £10 mill? lmao.

c) £12 mill for Milner...My god.

d) Reo coker for £8mill...wow.

E) Maron Harewood...Jesus Christ.

You're desperatly trying to put your transfer activity in the same bracket as Everton's but you forget 1 important fact which i will explain to you. You see Everton actually get those players for decent to low transfer fees (Jagielka, Lescott, pienaar, Chail, all under £5mill i think). Your lot on the other hand proceed to get mugged off left right and centre for mediocre players, or players your taking a risk on...Makes no sense.

I think youre failing to understand that a signing is only a good one once a player becomes a success, and not based on their standing in the game.

The difference is Moyes has taken a series of gambles that have paid off. Lescott, Jags, Cahill all performed at a lower level and someone took a punt on them in the top league. They could have turned out shite, fortunately for him they haven't. Contrast that with Spurs and the only player in recent memory you've signed from the Championship is Gareth Bale at a fee of up to £10m, which is more than the Everton signings put together.

As for Villa's signings, they sum up the price you have to pay for your England players these days. Davies, at £9m, spent a season at Villa first so they had the option to buy, and I don't think he's been bad by any means. Milner at £12m, well we said at the time he's overpriced but when you think he's 23 and already has UEFA cup experience and has played about 50 Under 21 games, he's obviously highly thought of. Contrast him with Bentley who cost Spurs about £16m and hasn't done much, for example Milner has been in the England squad this season more than Bentley has. Reo-Coker at £8m, most said was a decent buy having been good for West Ham and England Under 21 captain, for whatever reason it's gone sour for him but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Shorey I think was turd when he first arrived, got dropped for 6 months and was decent again at the tailend of the season, but £5m for a man who had ust broken into the England squad isn't a lot of money - although in contrast Everton only paid £6m for Baines who has grown into a top notch left back imo, and is about 4 years younger.

Marlon Harewood however, is shit.