Other clubs' transfers

Dave

As LLLO pointed out, before the Euros he was supposedly going for about £10m. Two good games and that goes up 150%? Do me a favour.

He looks a very good player, don't get me wrong. But considering his age and the wages he'd want, £25m? No way.

Yes but if you think about it. Before Euro 2008, despite wining the UEFA cup with Zenit, he was still very much an unproven quantity. But, now that he has delivered in one of the biggest stages of International Football, you can see exactly what you are getting.  Although £25million is a bit steep, I would certainly pay it out on someone who can get us to the next level and if he manages to get us into the UEFA cup in 2008/2009 then he has paid back a large bulk of that fee.

Two good games and he's proven himself?  Do you remember a player called Poborsky?

Well that and the qualfiers and he is Russia's captain for a reason.

Yes but we're talking about his value increasing £15m since the start of the Euro's.  You're saying he's proven himself since the end of the domestic season. ???

Being captain means nothing now IMO, even less than ever.  Smith has had the armband for us on occasions.

The fact is in a world where Wayne Rooney is worth £30 million, Luka Modric is worth £18 million and Alan Smith is worth £6 million, Arshavin is worth £25 million, he has the rare ability to both score and create and the fact he is a "late bloomer" suggests the best is to come.

Just because people had never previously heard of him it doesn't mean the quality wasn't there.

A lot of people including myself knew about him before E2008, and even with a couple of great games on the big stage, he's still a risk, at £25m this club simply cannot afford a risk like it.

Ah, think your coming from a different angle, I wasn't looking at the perspective of Arshavin joining Newcastle, in fact I don't even think he'd take a second look at us now. I agree for that particular price it would be far too big a gamble for us. However to a club like Inter Milan, Barcelona or even some of the lesser lights like Liverpool, Fiorantina or Villareal  he'd be well worth the gamble,

The fact is in a world where Wayne Rooney is worth £30 million, Luka Modric is worth £18 million and Alan Smith is worth £6 million, Arshavin is worth £25 million, he has the rare ability to both score and create and the fact he is a "late bloomer" suggests the best is to come.

Just because people had never previously heard of him it doesn't mean the quality wasn't there.

A lot of people including myself knew about him before E2008, and even with a couple of great games on the big stage, he's still a risk, at £25m this club simply cannot afford a risk like it.

Ah, think your coming from a different angle, I wasn't looking at the perspective of Arshavin joining Newcastle, in fact I don't even think he'd take a second look at us now. I agree for that particular price it would be far too big a gamble for us. However to a club like Inter Milan, Barcelona or even some of the lesser lights like Liverpool, Fiorantina or Villareal  he'd be well worth the gamble,

Got you.

£25m is a gamble for any of them, a one which some can afford to do, the price is inflated still but that's what shining in a major tournament does to a player and its to be expected. I personally don't think he's worth that kind of price, but with supposed interest growing its a sellers market in his case, and it might take a mad price to finalise the deal.

This Arshavin hype is getting crazy.

He was only quoted as being £6 million when we were first linked at the end of last year and now £25 million!!!

Don't want anything to do with him at that price.

Jol, have you heard anything about Tommy Forecast signing for Southampton or is your cat's builder only notified about first-team comings and goings?

Guest Heneage

I don't rate the lad tbh, very good player, but nowt earth shattering and he looks very lazy.

Jol, have you heard anything about Tommy Forecast signing for Southampton or is your cat's builder only notified about first-team comings and goings?

There was talk a while ago that Forecast and Joe Martin were Southampton targets but not seen or heard anything since.  IIRC, they were being touted for season long loans but Joe Martin (Alvin's boy) was sold last week to Blackpool.   TF from what I've seen of him has decent potential but not great, maybe Championship standard.  I think David Button, the England u19 keeper has far more potential than Forecast, but that's not saying he'd necessarily make Premiership quality either.

Guest Heneage

I don't rate the lad tbh, very good player, but nowt earth shattering and he looks very lazy.

Pirlo?  ???

But their styles are totally different. Pirlo reads a game and has tremendous distrubition Arshavin plays on the floor.

Pirlo?  ???

But their styles are totally different. Pirlo reads a game and has tremendous distrubition Arshavin plays on the floor.

I wasn't sure which one you didn't rate.  :thup:

There was talk a while ago that Forecast and Joe Martin were Southampton targets but not seen or heard anything since.  IIRC, they were being touted for season long loans but Joe Martin (Alvin's boy) was sold last week to Blackpool.   TF from what I've seen of him has decent potential but not great, maybe Championship standard.  I think David Button, the England u19 keeper has far more potential than Forecast, but that's not saying he'd necessarily make Premiership quality either.

I'm hearing that Forecast will be signing for Southampton this week.

It's not great news really. They will have Defoe and Crouch up front next season and a fairly strong unit behind them. Good signing for Harry Reknapps men.

Guest teepee

It's not great news really. They will have Defoe and Crouch up front next season and a fairly strong unit behind them. Good signing for Harry Reknapps men.

i totally agree - they look like a good side imo

i totally agree - they look like a good side imo

If they were to sign say SWP they would have a easily enough for top 6 next year which is no laughing matter.

Another thing is that Redknapp is exactly the type of manager that will get the best out of Crouch. He does tend to give guys like Defoe, Crouch and even Glenn Johnson that extra bit of confidence that makes them much more consistent and effective than they typically are. He won't have to worry about losing his first team place anymore either, as was the case at Liverpool.

Crouch is just about an above average striker at best. Im in the group who pronbably think he's slighlty overrated, his hold up play is ok IF its played into his feet but if he has to run onto the ball or has to make any attempt to get the ball under control he's a liablility if you ask me.

He's poor in the air, slow, and his finishing can be suspect, one thing for certain is that he isnt a striker who will put fear into defenders and can be easily subdued - not marked of the game but his gola threat can be minimised becasue his movement is so poor in genreal.

Does have a healthy knack of being able to score off the bench but i belive this is due to the team having to pose with a different threat mid way in the game and struggling, play him consistely for 90min everygame and i dont think he will score that many.