Steven Taylor

Tooj

Enrique has had his share of doubters from the outset, Cacapa was also written off completely based on 13 nightmare minutes against Portsmouth. Coloccini seems to be getting written off by a lot, and there are also some who aren't even giving Nolan a chance after a couple of games. I'm sure there are others.

Perhaps it's more of a relevant statement lately rather than a while ago, and maybe its because of all of the negativity around the club. Negativity spawning more negativity I guess.

Guest toonlass

Steven Taylor had some good points and some bad yesterday. No-one can say he doesn't love club, and he is certainly a better right back than centre back, but there are times when you are watching him and its like "FFS Taylor man!" coupled with a sharp intake of breath as he does something highly risky. I certainly think he has a future in football, but he has to learn from the more experienced players around him, and not just run round like a headless chicken bleeding black and white.

Guest Howaythetoon

did well today but didn't have a lot to deal with defensively.

He had more to deal with defensively at either end if you include having a defender trying to get the ball of you/stop your advances as defending too which I do than either of Bassong or Colo had to contend with which was mostly pressing, clearing and getting tight to the ineffective, seriously weak Jo - Everton's very own Ameobi for the day. In his own defensive area Taylor made several key blocks from crosses and kept Baines at bay throughout by checking his runs and pushing him back with his own forward runs. When Fellaini came on Taylor was also tasked with competing with him in the air which he did to good effect. I also recall Taylor clearing 3 vital balls with his head, once stooping very low and nearly getting a boot to the face, inside the box assuming the role of centre-back. Where Bassong or Colo were I do not know, well I do with the latter, he was at left-back covering Enrique for some absurd reason which he does a lot - goes on these needless walkabouts that threaten our shape and leave holes in the box meaning someone has to fill in which if they do leaves holes elsewhere. Taylor was constantly brought over to the touchline when the ball was out of play for instruction which indicated at least tactically he had a big part to play today at both ends. Which he did and did well. He's not a better right-back than Beye and never will be but going forward he gives us something that Beye doesn't give us and as someone who personally believes that attack is the best form of defence, in that sense I'd rather see Taylor at RB than Beye which I'll get shot down for but there you go. Regarding Beye I'd put him in alongside Bassong and remove the just as likely liability as Taylor at CB that is Colo who for me is proving to be a bit of a flop.

squint, and this post looks like a brick wall with graffiti

Colo already seems to be one of the those defenders who'll never get the praise he deserves, very sad

Praise he deserves? He's done nothing of any note to justify any kind of praise other than the very occasional OK performance which is the least you'd expect of a 10m player with his vast experience and so-called quality. By the way I've praised him whenever he's played well... sadly those games are too few. He's turning out to be a flop, not a Boumsong flop of course but a Bramble kind of flop. Someone with talent obviously who can have his moments but in general just isn't the answer. I'd get rid in the summer and look to recoup as much as possible because I don't think he has the right attributes for this league and more significantly for our team like ours. In a better side he would just about perhaps pass as good enough but here where he is required to be on his game constantly and called into making critical decisions, well, he doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever. He is what, 26 and is vastly experienced yet constantly goes walk-abouts which is a cardinal sin in terms of shape and positioning. Fuck me, I saw Nolan at CB twice yesterday because Colo was out on the flank for no reason whatsoever as Enrique and Duff had things covered. That meant there was a gap in midfield and had Everton a man up in such a critical area of the pitch. Every game he does this and it loses us our shape in defence and elsewhere if others have to fill in. He doesn't know how to hold a line either, look at Bassong, he tries to play outside of the box which is the correct thing to do, why does Colo want to go into his own box? He plays people onside and several times both Harper and Bassong yesterday were urging him out, as was Taylor from out wide near the half-way line. These are pretty basic things.

Guest firetotheworks

He had more to deal with defensively at either end if you include having a defender trying to get the ball of you/stop your advances as defending too which I do than either of Bassong or Colo had to contend with which was mostly pressing, clearing and getting tight to the ineffective, seriously weak Jo - Everton's very own Ameobi for the day. In his own defensive area Taylor made several key blocks from crosses and kept Baines at bay throughout by checking his runs and pushing him back with his own forward runs. When Fellaini came on Taylor was also tasked with competing with him in the air which he did to good effect. I also recall Taylor clearing 3 vital balls with his head, once stooping very low and nearly getting a boot to the face, inside the box assuming the role of centre-back. Where Bassong or Colo were I do not know, well I do with the latter, he was at left-back covering Enrique for some absurd reason which he does a lot - goes on these needless walkabouts that threaten our shape and leave holes in the box meaning someone has to fill in which if they do leaves holes elsewhere. Taylor was constantly brought over to the touchline when the ball was out of play for instruction which indicated at least tactically he had a big part to play today at both ends. Which he did and did well. He's not a better right-back than Beye and never will be but going forward he gives us something that Beye doesn't give us and as someone who personally believes that attack is the best form of defence, in that sense I'd rather see Taylor at RB than Beye which I'll get shot down for but there you go. Regarding Beye I'd put him in alongside Bassong and remove the just as likely liability as Taylor at CB that is Colo who for me is proving to be a bit of a flop.

Colo already seems to be one of the those defenders who'll never get the praise he deserves, very sad

Praise he deserves? He's done nothing of any note to justify any kind of praise other than the very occasional OK performance which is the least you'd expect of a 10m player with his vast experience and so-called quality. By the way I've praised him whenever he's played well... sadly those games are too few. He's turning out to be a flop, not a Boumsong flop of course but a Bramble kind of flop. Someone with talent obviously who can have his moments but in general just isn't the answer. I'd get rid in the summer and look to recoup as much as possible because I don't think he has the right attributes for this league and more significantly for our team like ours. In a better side he would just about perhaps pass as good enough but here where he is required to be on his game constantly and called into making critical decisions, well, he doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever. He is what, 26 and is vastly experienced yet constantly goes walk-abouts which is a cardinal sin in terms of shape and positioning. f*** me, I saw Nolan at CB twice yesterday because Colo was out on the flank for no reason whatsoever as Enrique and Duff had things covered. That meant there was a gap in midfield and had Everton a man up in such a critical area of the pitch. Every game he does this and it loses us our shape in defence and elsewhere if others have to fill in. He doesn't know how to hold a line either, look at Bassong, he tries to play outside of the box which is the correct thing to do, why does Colo want to go into his own box? He plays people onside and several times both Harper and Bassong yesterday were urging him out, as was Taylor from out wide near the half-way line. These are pretty basic things.

Stopped reading after that, he has some moments where he's caught out for a turn, or pace but he's never at any point been as poor as Bramble. Shocking thing to say about him really.

Praise he deserves? <b>He's done nothing of any note to justify any kind of praise other than the very occasional OK performance which is the least you'd expect of a 10m player with his vast experience and so-called quality.</b> By the way I've praised him whenever he's played well... sadly those games are too few. He's turning out to be a flop, not a Boumsong flop of course but a Bramble kind of flop. Someone with talent obviously who can have his moments but in general just isn't the answer. I'd get rid in the summer and look to recoup as much as possible because I don't think he has the right attributes for this league and more significantly for our team like ours. In a better side he would just about perhaps pass as good enough but here where he is required to be on his game constantly and called into making critical decisions, well, he doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever. <b>He is what, 26 and is vastly experienced yet constantly goes walk-abouts which is a cardinal sin in terms of shape and positioning. </b>Fuck me, I saw Nolan at CB twice yesterday because Colo was out on the flank for no reason whatsoever as Enrique and Duff had things covered. That meant there was a gap in midfield and had Everton a man up in such a critical area of the pitch. Every game he does this and it loses us our shape in defence and elsewhere if others have to fill in. <b>He doesn't know how to hold a line either, look at Bassong, he tries to play outside of the box which is the correct thing to do, why does Colo want to go into his own box? He plays people onside and several times both Harper and Bassong yesterday were urging him out,</b> as was Taylor from out wide near the half-way line. These are pretty basic things.

Agree entirely.  :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

Praise he deserves? He's done nothing of any note to justify any kind of praise other than the very occasional OK performance which is the least you'd expect of a 10m player with his vast experience and so-called quality. By the way I've praised him whenever he's played well... sadly those games are too few. He's turning out to be a flop, not a Boumsong flop of course but a Bramble kind of flop. Someone with talent obviously who can have his moments but in general just isn't the answer. I'd get rid in the summer and look to recoup as much as possible because I don't think he has the right attributes for this league and more significantly for our team like ours. In a better side he would just about perhaps pass as good enough but here where he is required to be on his game constantly and called into making critical decisions, well, he doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever. He is what, 26 and is vastly experienced yet constantly goes walk-abouts which is a cardinal sin in terms of shape and positioning. f*** me, I saw Nolan at CB twice yesterday because Colo was out on the flank for no reason whatsoever as Enrique and Duff had things covered. That meant there was a gap in midfield and had Everton a man up in such a critical area of the pitch. Every game he does this and it loses us our shape in defence and elsewhere if others have to fill in. He doesn't know how to hold a line either, look at Bassong, he tries to play outside of the box which is the correct thing to do, why does Colo want to go into his own box? He plays people onside and several times both Harper and Bassong yesterday were urging him out, as was Taylor from out wide near the half-way line. These are pretty basic things.

Stopped reading after that, he has some moments where he's caught out for a turn, or pace but he's never at any point been as poor as Bramble. Shocking thing to say about him really.

I wasn't comparing the two as players, merely trying to establish what kind of flop he is turning out to be. You are right of course he hasn't had a total mare yet which Bramble quite often produced, but by the same token he hasn't had a stormer either which Bramble had a few of in his time here. Colo needs to up his game significantly and while I had hoped his form was down to adjusting to a new league, some of the basic errors he makes is shocking for a player of his repute, cost and above all else experience. He's being carried by Bassong.

I wasn't comparing the two as players, merely trying to establish what kind of flop he is turning out to be. You are right of course<b> he hasn't had a total mare yet</b> which Bramble quite often produced, but by the same token he hasn't had a stormer either which Bramble had a few of in his time here. Colo needs to up his game significantly and while I had hoped his form was down to adjusting to a new league, some of the basic errors he makes is shocking for a player of his repute, cost and above all else experience. He's being carried by Bassong.

He put in a dreadful performance against Liverpool.

HTT, I agree with you that collocini was pretty average yesterday and hasn't reached the standard you would expect from a ten million defender, BUT the reason he went walkabout (mostly in the second half) was that he was under instruction to "stick to" Felliani. Surely you noticed that whenever felliani got into the last third Coloccini was next to him in a second, he did this very well TBF...

Steven 'Cafu' Taylor had another half-decent game yesterday, wasn't entirely convinced by his dribble the ball off the pitch trick which he used once or twice but he's a decent aerial threat from Raylor's throws.

As for he Colo argument, I think people are expecting him to be 5x the player of Bassong, which he cannot be, Bassong is just that good. He's a very solid and assured player who has obvious class, maybe he'll have adapted fully to the league and the team by the end of the season. Always looks a better player when Taylor is alongside him, but then its all relative..

Guest firetotheworks

I wasn't comparing the two as players, merely trying to establish what kind of flop he is turning out to be. You are right of course he hasn't had a total mare yet which Bramble quite often produced, but by the same token he hasn't had a stormer either which Bramble had a few of in his time here. Colo needs to up his game significantly and while I had hoped his form was down to adjusting to a new league, some of the basic errors he makes is shocking for a player of his repute, cost and above all else experience. He's being carried by Bassong.

I disagree that he hasn't had a stormer. During that little run of a few clean sheets he played very well, but was outshone by Bassong, it doesnt mean to say that Colo was bad, or even average. Bassong gets all the plaudits because he's been excellent and cost little, and rightly so. But that doesn't mean by the same token Colo has been a waste of money, purely that Bassong has been an absolute steal.

Anyway, Steven Taylor's better a right back.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT, I agree with you that collocini was pretty average yesterday and hasn't reached the standard you would expect from a ten million defender, BUT the reason he went walkabout (mostly in the second half) was that he was under instruction to "stick to" Felliani. Surely you noticed that whenever felliani got into the last third Coloccini was next to him in a second, he did this very well TBF...

He was doing it well before he came on and when he did come on, it was Taylor who was tasked with marking him which he did reasonably well enough, winning a few headers against him.

Guest Howaythetoon

I disagree that he hasn't had a stormer. During that little run of a few clean sheets he played very well, but was outshone by Bassong, it doesnt mean to say that Colo was bad, or even average. Bassong gets all the plaudits because he's been excellent and cost little, and rightly so. But that doesn't mean by the same token Colo has been a waste of money, purely that Bassong has been an absolute steal.

He played well, he hasn't had a stormer for us to date where you think f*** me this guy's class though. It has nothing to do with Bassong performing to such a high standard either. If Colo was playing well whether Bassong was having a stormer or not he would stand out and people would credit his performances all the same. The simple fact is he hasn't lived up to his price tag, his reputation and key to it for me his experience. He is an established international for Argentina and has played in La Liga and Serie A yet is constantly on a game to game basis making basic mistakes positionally, tactically and technically that don't help the team.

He has no outstanding attribute. He's not the quickest, he isn't the strongest, his distribution has been awful at times and he isn't too good in the air either. I've seen him read play exceptionally well most notably at home to Spurs and Villa so he clearly has the footballing sense or intelligence but all too often we rarely see it from him. You don't vacate your position for no reason whatsoever which he does all the time. Yesterday for example, he rushed over to the left back area to help out Enrique when there was no need as Duff was back. Nolan seeing this went straight into the centre of defence to fill in. Anyway the ball came in and Nolan headed it.... into midfield where there wasn't a Toon shirt around which meant Everton picking it back up again.

Had Colo not vacated his position Nolan would have been around the edge of the box which when defending is exactly where you want your central midfielder. Where I sit all game it was "where the f***'s he going, what's he doing" from a good number of fans. I've been highlighting this all season with Colo. I wouldn't mind if we were stretched but we weren't, we had 5-6 men behind the ball and the back-four were always in shape... until Colo did his walk-about.  I just don't get it. When I first started noticing it I thought it was a tactic/man marking but nope as the players would change and I've seen him yelled at by his own team-mates for wandering.

I wonder just how much experience he has had playing in a flat back-four. He seems to think he's the spare man at the back for us which he would be if we were playing 3 at the back. Anyone have any ideas as to how Depor were set up or Argentina?

He played well, he hasn't had a stormer for us to date where you think f*** me this guy's class though. It has nothing to do with Bassong performing to such a high standard either. If Colo was playing well whether Bassong was having a stormer or not he would stand out and people would credit his performances all the same.<b> The simple fact is he hasn't lived up to his price tag, his reputation and key to it for me his experience. He is an established international for Argentina and has played in La Liga and Serie A yet is constantly on a game to game basis making basic mistakes positionally, tactically and technically that don't help the team.

He has no outstanding attribute. He's not the quickest, he isn't the strongest, his distribution has been awful at times and he isn't too good in the air either.</b> I've seen him read play exceptionally well most notably at home to Spurs and Villa so he clearly has the footballing sense or intelligence but all too often we rarely see it from him. You don't vacate your position for no reason whatsoever which he does all the time. Yesterday for example, he rushed over to the left back area to help out Enrique when there was no need as Duff was back. Nolan seeing this went straight into the centre of defence to fill in. Anyway the ball came in and Nolan headed it.... into midfield where there wasn't a Toon shirt around which meant Everton picking it back up again.

Had Colo not vacated his position Nolan would have been around the edge of the box which when defending is exactly where you want your central midfielder. Where I sit all game it was "where the f***'s he going, what's he doing" from a good number of fans. I've been highlighting this all season with Colo. I wouldn't mind if we were stretched but we weren't, we had 5-6 men behind the ball and the back-four were always in shape... until Colo did his walk-about.  I just don't get it. When I first started noticing it I thought it was a tactic/man marking but nope as the players would change and I've seen him yelled at by his own team-mates for wandering.

I wonder just how much experience he has had playing in a flat back-four. He seems to think he's the spare man at the back for us which he would be if we were playing 3 at the back. Anyone have any ideas as to how Depor were set up or Argentina?

Agree entirely.  :thup:

He has been dropped from the Argentina national squad for a reason his below standard performances since being here.

Guest firetotheworks

He played well, he hasn't had a stormer for us to date where you think f*** me this guy's class though. It has nothing to do with Bassong performing to such a high standard either. If Colo was playing well whether Bassong was having a stormer or not he would stand out and people would credit his performances all the same. The simple fact is he hasn't lived up to his price tag, his reputation and key to it for me his experience. He is an established international for Argentina and has played in La Liga and Serie A yet is constantly on a game to game basis making basic mistakes positionally, tactically and technically that don't help the team.

He has no outstanding attribute. He's not the quickest, he isn't the strongest, his distribution has been awful at times and he isn't too good in the air either. I've seen him read play exceptionally well most notably at home to Spurs and Villa so he clearly has the footballing sense or intelligence but all too often we rarely see it from him. You don't vacate your position for no reason whatsoever which he does all the time. Yesterday for example, he rushed over to the left back area to help out Enrique when there was no need as Duff was back. Nolan seeing this went straight into the centre of defence to fill in. Anyway the ball came in and Nolan headed it.... into midfield where there wasn't a Toon shirt around which meant Everton picking it back up again.

Fair points, but I still think labeling as a flop is both too far and too early.

Steven Taylor: Stand up, or we’re down

STEVEN TAYLOR has warned his fellow Toon stars to behave like real men in their final 11 games of the season – or face playing in the Championship next season.

The United defender and his Newcastle United team-mates were still reeling today after dropping three crucial points against Bolton Wanderers to leave themselves hovering precariously above the relegation zone.

And on a weekend when other results did not go their way, with Middlesbrough, Stoke and Blackburn showing signs of recovery, Newcastle now face arguably a harder run-in than any of their rivals involved in the relegation dogfight.

With United’s Premier League status now in severe danger, Taylor told the Chronicle: “This has to bring out the men in the dressing room.

“We’ll see exactly who wants to play for this football club.

“The lads need to show character and show exactly how much playing for Newcastle means to them.

“We’re in a serious relegation fight.

“We’ve lost at Bolton in a game we should have won.

“That didn’t happen and now we have to dust ourselves off for Manchester United.

“They are the best team in the world. Now we have to be men and stand up to that.”

Taylor added: “We’re devastated again.

“The first half was good but after the goal in the second half we just seemed to cave in a little bit.

“We created chances but the deliveries weren’t there and there was no final ball there.

“Personally I didn’t think we looked like scoring.”

Yet United thought they should have been handed an opportunity to level from the spot when referee Alan Riley’s blunder cost them a spot-kick after Fabricio Coloccini’s effort hit the arms of Jlloyd Samuel.

Taylor said: “With the penalty I saw Samuel’s hands in the air.

“Refs have said in the past if you keep your hands in the air that is defined as a penalty.

“If you keep them by your side it isn’t.

“I spoke to the ref and asked why he hadn’t given it. He said it was because Samuel’s eyes weren’t looking at the ball. Had we got the penalty it may have been the turning point.

“And Peter Lovenkrands has had a good chance too. Maybe he could have scored there but we were just lacking that cutting edge in the final third.

“Overall we defended well enough,. The one real shot they had, they’ve scored.”

“I spoke to the ref and asked why he hadn’t given it. He said it was because Samuel’s eyes weren’t looking at the ball."

:laugh:

Note for Taylor: Next time you go blocking a shot waving your arms around you as usual....just close your eyes  :thup:

Guest toonlass

Much as I don't think Steven Taylor is a premiership footballer at least he is not spouting the shite that Chris Houghton did after the match.