Whatever happened to........... (forgotten expensive footballers)

Liam Liam Liam O

hahaha "Julio Arca's mate".  And to carry on the mackem link, Tore Andre Flo.  Somewhere between £8-10m and 4 goals.  I know we've had some s**** signings, but its always good to divert the attention.

http://archive.thenorthernecho.co.uk/2001/5/19/170455.html

I always remember when the mackems used to be certain Arca had full Argentina caps.  B-O-L-L-O-C-K-S.

Dean Richards

is 1 of the 7 (claimed by a mate at work) english players who cost over 7million but never played for england

good old carl cort is another

Was a question in Zoo ages ago, can't quite remember the others

Dean Richards

is 1 of the 7 (claimed by a mate at work) english players who cost over 7million but never played for england

good old carl cort is another

Was a question in Zoo ages ago, can't quite remember the others

carl cort, dean richards, nigel reo coker, kevin davies, dean ashton

Guest ObaStar

remember this summer when luque scored twice versus celtic and then again against Juventus. both friendly games but still it was promising. then he is sold to Ajax. Bit of a shame imo. He was one player who never got a run of games in the first team and whenever he played he scored.

During his period at Chelsea, they repeated tried to offload him because of his inflated wages. When there were no takers, Chelsea demoted him to their reserves and youth team in an effort to force Bogarde to leave. However, he stuck to his contract, turning up every day and attending whatever training he was assigned to. Bogarde claims to have been placed in suspiciously compromising situations involving drugs (Similar to what happened with Chelsea players Mark Bosnich and Adrian Mutu), soon after he refused to leave Chelsea or sign a new contract for a reduced wage. all Bogarde continued to stick to the letter his contract and working every day with the Chelsea reserves, while increasingly becoming a figure of ridicule in the English press for his alleged selfishness.

Legend :D

Guest elbee909

remember this summer when luque scored twice versus celtic and then again against Juventus. both friendly games but still it was promising. then he is sold to Ajax. Bit of a shame imo. He was one player who never got a run of games in the first team and whenever he played he scored.

I think if he scored every time he played he'd still be here.

I think if he scored every time he played he'd still be here.

I think if he'd looked any better than shite whenever he played he'd still be here as well.

Denilson, Betis broke the world record transfer fee to sign him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den%C3%ADlson_de_Oliveira_Ara%C3%BAjo

Looked an absolute World Beater when he made his first major International Tournament in France in 1995 - remember him absolutely bamboozling the Italian defence during their game..

Suffered a serious ankle injury after signing for Betis and was never the same since...

A great pity, as I reckon he was potentially Brazil's best winger since Jairzinho of the 1970 side.

Ankle injuries are one of the worst a footballer can get, even worse than cruciate ligament injuries these days - look how Kewell and Ashton have both been out for long spells with them, and in Kewell's case, he definitely has never recaptured his Leeds form at Liverpool - the jury is still out on Ashton......

Gianluigi Lentini - Went to Milan for a then world record fee of £13m in 1992. Injured in a car crash in 1993 and barely played again for Milan. Left in 97 for £2m.

First person I thought of - horrific waste of talent and potential... (not waste so much, more loss)

Anyone heard of some of Fergie's "less spectacular" signings like Jesper Blomquvist or Jordi Cruyff lately?

Oh, and can anyone expand on this from that Bogarde clip:

Bogarde claims to have been placed in suspiciously compromising situations involving drugs (Similar to what happened with Chelsea players Mark Bosnich and Adrian Mutu), soon after he refused to leave Chelsea or sign a new contract for a reduced wage.

Guest toonlass

Karel Poborsky

David May

"Despite not being noted for it during his playing career, David May has lent his name to a hairstyle, "The David May." It is not clear where this originated, but a group has been set up on the popular social networking website, Facebook, called "Next time I'm getting my haircut, I'm getting a David May."[4] Such is the international popularity of this hairstyle, a large proportion of members in this group are from Norway, where May appears to be something of a cult hero."   :laugh2:

Christian Bassedas

"He currently works for Fox Sports en Español as a commentator of England's Premier League matches.[1]"  :frantic:

David May

"Despite not being noted for it during his playing career, David May has lent his name to a hairstyle, "The David May." It is not clear where this originated, but a group has been set up on the popular social networking website, Facebook, called "Next time I'm getting my haircut, I'm getting a David May."[4] Such is the international popularity of this hairstyle, a large proportion of members in this group are from Norway, where May appears to be something of a cult hero."  :laugh2:

any pics? :D