Rightwinger: SWP, Pennant or Lennon?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You can make a case for against either imo. Pennant has surprised me with his improvement this year at Liverpool, but both have some limitations in the crossing department. KK likes SWP and it looks like Pennant is surfeit to needs at Anfield next term.

Also we need to take into account that Pennant will be cheaper, easier to get and cost less in wages. This makes it closer for me.

Pick one.

Edit: I've added Lennon. :angel:

SWP for me having worked with Keegan before and always seems to improve when he has a good run in the side. I would hope a move from rotation to first team place when fit would work wonders in the confidence department much like happened to dofoe.

Although Pennant has come on leaps and bounds I just worry is his improvement due to his development personally or the players around him.

a tough one.

SWP for me having worked with Keegan before and always seems to improve when he has a good run in the side. I would hope a move from rotation to first team place when fit would work wonders in the confidence department much like happened to dofoe.

Although Pennant has come on leaps and bounds I just worry is his improvement due to his development personally or the players around him.

a tough one.

Also we need to take into account that Pennant will be cheaper, easier to get and cost less in wages. This makes it closer for me.

a tough one.

None of that should be taken into account imo if he is willing to join.

I was just about to say that as well Parky I wonder though arent they about the same age? Surely SWP has proved himself more at the highest level although he may cost more it may be more worth it in the long run as Pennant is in my opinion a bigger gamble.

SWP showed at Man City that he is capable of carrying a team on his own, Pennant has never shown that.

While both are better than what we have and while both a different players, I'd go for Wright-Phillips every day of the week. I still think there's a top-class player in there somewhere. I would never call Pennant top-class. He'll be a very good winger for somebody, but he's not at the level that SWP can play at.

I've been wanting us to get SWP for ages, and I'm not sure if we ever will, but I think he'd be absolutely loved up here. I'm not sure Pennant would, because of his previous problems/bling boy attitude.

SWP showed at Man City that he is capable of carrying a team on his own, Pennant has never shown that.

While both are better than what we have and while both a different players, I'd go for Wright-Phillips every day of the week. I still think there's a top-class player in there somewhere. I would never call Pennant top-class. He'll be a very good winger for somebody, but he's not at the level that SWP can play at.

I've been wanting us to get SWP for ages, and I'm not sure if we ever will, but I think he'd be absolutely loved up here. I'm not sure Pennant would, because of his previous problems/bling boy attitude.

Agreed SWP has 'another gear'. But he would cost twice as much in wages and fees, is he that much better than Pennant?

Agreed SWP has 'another gear'. But he would cost twice as much in wages and fees, is he that much better than Pennant?

If he can recapture his form from his previous time under Keegan then he would be, simply for the pleasure we'd all have watching him play. He was unstoppable at times, not least when we beat them 4-3 under Souness.

I'm not sure if "twice as much" is right either, like, as far as wages go. Pennant would be coming from the bench of a top-four club as well, you know? He'd hardly be cheap.

If the choice was there between the two and both would come and we went for Pennant because he'd be cheaper then I'd be very NE5 about it, to be honest.

I always used to dream of signing Duff now we have him I regret it every day. We have not had a good track record taking surplus to required players from any of the big sides. Not that I am saying SWP has not got the quality to get over being a bit part player I am just always wary of us putting alot of eggs in one basket. I guess picking up on Parkys point i think the board are looking to get these scouts out there to try and avoid having to buy players who have already shown their class at the big stage (and there for their value is at a peak) and find a gem out in the market.

Saying that I still think it would come down to price if all we had this summer is 30m to spend and SWP was to cost 13/15m do you go for him when there is an obvious need for at least 2/3 quality signings needed.

Thing is with Duff, he's been crocked loads, much like Smith.

Has SWP suffered that much with injuries? To me, with him, it seems more psychological/lack of match practice than anything.

He's also not quite as old as Duff was when we got him and doesn't seem to have lost his pace, either.

of the 2 i would have to say swp, pennant is of the school of bellamy / bowyer /  dyer knackery and been through all that debacle.

swp has the heart of a lion, and is very comitted, gets the stuffing knocked out of him by defenders with him just being a little fella, but he keeps coming back at them. that's the sort of player we need at the club. plus if he did sign, you'd get cracking value for money getting your shirt printed at the supporters shop, any name and number for a tenna, wright-phillips - 24  :)

I always used to dream of signing Duff now we have him I regret it every day. We have not had a good track record taking surplus to required players from any of the big sides. Not that I am saying SWP has not got the quality to get over being a bit part player I am just always wary of us putting alot of eggs in one basket. I guess picking up on Parkys point i think the board are looking to get these scouts out there to try and avoid having to buy players who have already shown their class at the big stage (and there for their value is at a peak) and find a gem out in the market.

Saying that I still think it would come down to price if all we had this summer is 30m to spend and SWP was to cost 13/15m do you go for him when there is an obvious need for at least 2/3 quality signings needed.

This is why my head says Pennant.

Thing is with Duff, he's been crocked loads, much like Smith.

Has SWP suffered that much with injuries? To me, with him, it seems more psychological/lack of match practice than anything.

He's also not quite as old as Duff was when we got him and doesn't seem to have lost his pace, either.

He is 25 in october I think, so definetly still a young prospect I agree to an extent my impression of Duff's situation was he was top class with blackburn and chelsea threw money here there and everywhere got too many players and a player that was once a jewel in the crown of one side is basically fighting to keep their place or break into the side. After 2/3 season of this you have zero confidence lack compeitive match fitness and basically your cast off to the highest bidder.

I dont see that happening with SWP if he can get a run in the team he will produce the goods certianly some positive fan support go along way. As I said before he can go on to a dramtic turn around like dofoe has however there is always the risk that  he moves and he is a shadow of his former self i.e like duff. No player is without risk which is why I agree with Parky we need to be aware how much a young english international player would cost.