The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hopefully those kind of ideas are taken into account and its not just a case of 'if he's over this age limit we won't pay over this amount'.

I'm sure they are. If you look at most of the top performing sides over the last few years, they've had a policy of mixing youth with experience.

Oh I've got no doubt they'll be looking for experienced players as well.  I just question how much they're prepared to spend on those kind of players.

This is pretty much how I feel too. I'm sure we will sign a few older players, especially in defence or defensive mid positions where youth is less important and reduced speed/fitness in later years is compensated for with experience, however if I'm reading the signs right I think they'll mostly be frees/bargain buys rather than quality players at their peak.

Guest Action Verb

A Russian friend told me that its over the russian media that we agreed fee with Zenit and its now up to agreeing personal terms

if someone understand russian so these are the main big sports newspapers in Russia;:

http://www.sport-express.ru/

http://www.sovsport.ru/

Please, please, please...

Absolutely nothing about Arshavin in any of those, I'm afraid.

I don't remember ever saying I wanted us to settle for 2nd choice players. Also never said the board never signed players more than that but twice in 10 years is hardly regular. The new board have only been here one year so its a bit early to be making judgements on what they will spend and comparing them to the old board, especially when they have already bid what would have been a club record this summer.

Anyway as said lets not turn another thread into that debate. I hope these Russian sources are correct and we land this lad, hopefully it will stop being banging on about Modric, Spurs and how we are never going to sign anyone etc etc... :D

Would a "Russian friend" know anymore than us? I suppose we found out about Enrique when there was absolutely nothing in the British media.

Oh dear, I have a twinge!

Let's ruin it: replacement for Owen?

Did the twinge go after reading the post from Action Verb?

No. I still believe the Russian friend of London Mag. Most reliable source I've seen cited on here all summer!

Wasn't LondonMag one of the two people pushing the Modric stories?

He might have good Eastern European connections.

I'd be interested in hearing more.

I would think most people in this country now have good eastern European connections.

I would think most people in this country now have good eastern European connections.

:laugh:

Living in Hull, I must be right up there on that list. I'll have mastered Polish and Russian by the time I'm done with uni.

Living in Hull, I must be right up there on that list. I'll have mastered Polish and Russian by the time I'm done with uni.

I feel like I'm entering the United Nations when I go to work, I've got to say though that the foreigners that I work with are spot on.

Guest Action Verb

If it's all over the "Russian Media", it'd have been on those two, and i've checked a couple of other russian newspapers - nothing there either. With Arshavin seen as the country's best player, it'd have been on the front page of those sites. Sport Express especially update often, and have news as mundance as Danny Murphy deciding to stay at Fulham for another year.

Just read on a russian link that Spurs have offered £12m....................WTF!!

:iamatwat: :pow:

(I hope to god we get a player like him but I just feel with KK on holiday, maybe we'll miss out.....hope I'm wrong!)

A Russian friend told me that its over the russian media that we agreed fee with Zenit and its now up to agreeing personal terms

if someone understand russian so these are the main big sports newspapers in Russia;:

Agreed......I speak a little Russian and there is nothing there or on any of the other websites about Arshavin and Newcastle. The only stuff I can find is us being linked with him when Allardyce was manager.

I've sent a text to a mate of mine who's a big Zenit fan, will let people know about any news.

Guest Action Verb

Agreed......I speak a little Russian and there is nothing there or on any of the other websites about Arshavin and Newcastle. The only stuff I can find is us being linked with him when Allardyce was manager.

I've sent a text to a mate of mine who's a big Zenit fan, will let people know about any news.

I did find a report on soccer.ru, linking to an outside blog saying that Wise has met Arshavin's agent with Man City also interested. But I don't think one report on a blog (think Goal, Tribal Football, TeamTalk etc) can be seen as anything other than speculation or all over the news. Also, quite tellingly, all but one of the comments left on that story say that neither teams are good enough for him, but if he had a choice then Man City are clearly the better club to go to. Talk of Newcastle is being laughed at.

(http://www.soccer.ru/news/69452.shtml)

Guest sicko2ndbest

The Sun?

It's been in a few places iirc.

Daily Mirror ran with it and others have jumped on that story. the end

If Man City are interested forget it. Oh i wish we had money bags Thaksin instead of the scrooge

The Sun?

If Man City are interested forget it. Oh i wish we had money bags Thaksin instead of the scrooge

Frank Sinatra will go belly up at Man City within the next ten years majorly. Be careful what you wish for.

Guest Action Verb

I did find a report on soccer.ru, linking to an outside blog saying that Wise has met Arshavin's agent with Man City also interested. But I don't think one report on a blog (think Goal, Tribal Football, TeamTalk etc) can be seen as anything other than speculation or all over the news. Also, quite tellingly, all but one of the comments left on that story say that neither teams are good enough for him, but if he had a choice then Man City are clearly the better club to go to. Talk of Newcastle is being laughed at.

(http://www.soccer.ru/news/69452.shtml)

Just to finish this off - the blog that soccer.ru linked to actually lifted their story from Goal.com, who presumably picked it up from The Mirror? Anyway - nothing credible in the russian press as far as i can tell.

:lol:

You've got all of the Eastern European connections you need living here.  ;)

The Sun?

Frank Sinatra will go belly up at Man City within the next ten years majorly. Be careful what you wish for.

10 years.

Glad you narrowed that one down.

The Sun?

I swear the transfer window sends certain people stark raving mental  :idiot2: :lol:

Oh and BTW the "DR" doesn't have the cash to spend hundreds of millions so you can bet any money spent is debt heaped on to Man City.