The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BigAl2

Arshavin did go missing last night, and my bet went tits up but I would have him at Newcastle.

I knew that if Spain scored first the Russian heads would drop as they have always been a bit weak mentally over the years add to that the 4 - 1 drubbing in the qualifying rounds and the writing was on the wall.

As others point out, I wonder what effect the speculation and pressure has had on him. Two games and he's off to Barca with all eyes on him to run a European semi-final. :lol:

He was as crap last night as he was good the previous two games. Russia were poor in general, but there's nowt wrong with saying he had a shocker if he did.

Very true but a few seem a little bit happy about it, I think its a bit of "oh he had a poor game Barca may not want him" :lol:

He was very poor along with the rest of them like but it happens..

no-one giving spain any credit for a tactical masterclass in how to shut down players then? 

arshavin's good but he's not a magician, within an actual second of touching the ball a spain defender had hit him and/or the ball...it was basically italian style defending

same goes for zhirkov, he had ramos +1 more or less the whole game

ronaldo (best player in the world TM) has had much less marking and failed on a much grander scale much more frequently

Tbh he's not as mint as people have put him up to be, yeah he was class against Sweden but they're s*** and Holland suited the Russians, the Spanish control play whereas the Dutch are all about getting to the goal as fast as possible, Arshavin had loads of holes to drop into against the Dutch because they were so open but again its the opposite with the Spanish. I don't think it was a Spanish tactical masterclass, just the fact he's not good enough against the best teams, simple. This was his first big test, and he failed but the worrying thing is he's 27 he should be dealing with it better, never be a great player imo.

Tbh he's not as mint as people have put him up to be, yeah he was class against Sweden but they're s*** and Holland suited the Russians, the Spanish control play whereas the Dutch are all about getting to the goal as fast as possible, Arshavin had loads of holes to drop into against the Dutch because they were so open but again its the opposite with the Spanish. I don't think it was a Spanish tactical masterclass, just the fact he's not good enough against the best teams, simple. This was his first big test, and he failed but the worrying thing is he's 27 he should be dealing with it better, never be a great player imo.

So, would you be saying you wouldn't welcome him as a signing then?

At Newcastle yeah, but at the better clubs that already have several good players, I'm not so sure.

:lol:

Some of these posts on here are great. Suddenly he goes from being a amazing player to a pile of crap after one game.

Personnally I'm still on the amazing player side. Fingers crossed though chairmen around Europe are as fickle as some people on here and they'll not pursue their interest. *Wishful thinking*

For us, he'd be class and i'd welcome him as he's miles better than anything here, but for the likes of Barca where he'll be playing in the Champions League i think its too much. I'm not saying he's not a good player because he is, but he'll never be great like he's been hyped up to be.

People not think that maybe Barcelona made their approach in the run up to a Russia v Spain semi final of a major tournament in an attempt to get him to choke? Look at the quotes from him, he's always dreamed of playing for Barca, club he supported as a boy, never thought he'd ever realistically stand a chance of playing for them. Then just takes one phone call and a Zenit statement to make him think that the next game he's playing in is not only the biggest game of his international career as there is a euro championship final place at stake, but also his big chance to make his dream come true in a game the whole of Spain and, more importantly, Barcelona will be watching? That's a fuckload of pressure for someone who isn't used to being in the spotlight and could go a long way towards explaining last night. If someone has voiced this opinion earlier on, apologies, i didn't flick back through...

Yeah, I had posted similar before the game, the English press have linked the oppositions star playerto Manchester United before with similar purpose.

Things seem to have snowballed however.

Tell you who isn't getting enough credit  is Marcos Senna. Has been brilliant throughout this tournament and he was all over Arshavin like a rash yesterday.

Arshavin is still a good player and is allowed the odd off game, but what I didn't really like about his performance was that he didn't seem to make more of an effort to get into the game, wether that meant dropping deeper to pick up the ball or switching out wide a bit more to get more space. You wonder if he is one of those guys who just looks great when everything is setup perfectly for him, but otherwise doesn't really standout if an effort is made to shut him down.

:lol:

Some of these posts on here are great. Suddenly he goes from being a amazing player to a pile of crap after one game.

Personnally I'm still on the amazing player side. Fingers crossed though chairmen around Europe are as fickle as some people on here and they'll not pursue their interest. *Wishful thinking*

Alot of people on here have never said he was great, i personally have never before mentioned that he's a 'great' player because i've never seen it in him. He's never played against the top opposition, so how can you judge him to be great? it was ridiculous to say how he was amazing after 2 matches.

Tel you who isn't getting enough credit  is Marcos Senna. Has been brilliant throughout this tournament and he was all over Arshavin like a rash yesterday.

Arshavin is still a good player and is allowed the odd off game, but what I didn;t really like about his performance was that he didn't seem to really make more of an effort to get into the game, ether that meant dropping deeper to pick up the ball or switching out wide a bit more to get more space. You wonder if he is one of those guys who just looks great when everything is setup perfectly for him, but otherwise doesn't really standout if an effort is made to shut him down.

Spain and Villareal would be nothing without him.

Tel you who isn't getting enough credit  is Marcos Senna. Has been brilliant throughout this tournament and he was all over Arshavin like a rash yesterday.

Arshavin is still a good player and is allowed the odd off game, but what I didn;t really like about his performance was that he didn't seem to really make more of an effort to get into the game, ether that meant dropping deeper to pick up the ball or switching out wide a bit more to get more space. You wonder if he is one of those guys who just looks great when everything is setup perfectly for him, but otherwise doesn't really standout if an effort is made to shut him down.

Senna is class like, but Arshavin has never played against a holding midfielder in this tournament or one of any real class. All CL teams have a holding midfielder, and some are even better than Senna so i think put him in at Barca where he will be meeting these types of opponents week in week out then i think he'll be shown up big style.

Senna is class like, but Arshavin has never played against a holding midfielder in this tournament or one of any real class. All CL teams have a holding midfielder, and some are even better than Senna so i think put him in at Barca where he will be meeting these types of opponents week in week out then i think he'll be shown up big style.

Yes but in the champions league playing for Barcelona teams are not just going to stop Arshavin there is Messi Iniesta Xavi and whoever else they bring in

He was singled out yesterday because of how good he is put him in a team with other world class players and he will be brilliant

Tell you who isn't getting enough credit  is Marcos Senna. Has been brilliant throughout this tournament and he was all over Arshavin like a rash yesterday.

Arshavin is still a good player and is allowed the odd off game, but what I didn't really like about his performance was that he didn't seem to make more of an effort to get into the game, wether that meant dropping deeper to pick up the ball or switching out wide a bit more to get more space. You wonder if he is one of those guys who just looks great when everything is setup perfectly for him, but otherwise doesn't really standout if an effort is made to shut him down.

Senna has been terrific this tournament, I haven't seen, or noticed him anyway, that much of him before though.

Senna has been terrific this tournament, I haven't seen, or noticed him anyway, that much of him before though.

Look up Youtube for one of his goals last season for Villarreal from the centre-circle. Pure class. Much better than Beckham's imo given the keeper wasn't out of his goal.

Look up Youtube for one of his goals last season for Villarreal from the centre-circle. Pure class. Much better than Beckham's imo given the keeper wasn't out of his goal.

Nice one! :D

Yes but in the champions league playing for Barcelona teams are not just going to stop Arshavin there is Messi Iniesta Xavi and whoever else they bring in

He was singled out yesterday because of how good he is put him in a team with other world class players and he will be brilliant

OK, lets talk hypothetical Barcelona teams, where can Arshavin play?

Assuming a flat back four is played, which six out of the following do you pick? (and yes I do know that some might be off)

Xavi

Iniesta

Deco

Toure

Keita

Gudjohnsen

Eto'o

Ronaldinho

Henry

Ezquerro

Messi

Bojan

Arshavin

Man marking? if he signs for Barcelona he'll most likely be their AM, he's going to meet well balanced teams who play a holding midfielder, how's he going to cope.

Lots of players can be brilliant for Barca though, doesn't make them great, a great player can lift a shit team, can make a shit team good, Russia aren't shit and he didn't look good when he finally got some tough opposition.