The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

arshavin is f***ing desperate.

he's gone from dreaming of barca, to dreaming of arsenal, to being open to a move to spuds.

Wasn't he pictured holding up a Barca shirt last week?  :lol:

I think he's got an over-inflated opinion of himself imo. He's a very good player but I honestly believe the top, top clubs in Europe wouldn't pay anywhere near what Zenit want.

I believe that too, mainly because he doesn't bring anything better that the top European clubs haven't already got in abundance.  It's when a club is trying to go up to the next level they are likely to get screwed.  Sunderland are finding that at their level and Spurs are finding it now with Arshavin, Bentley (his deal is apparently near to being dead in the water) , Diego Capel and a couple of others. 

I am not sure how far into the season the Russians are but I am guessing that the top clubs have guesed that even with squad rotation, by the time next March/April comes and the CL and Leagues get to their most crucial stages, he is going to be absolutely burnt out.

Staying at Zenit for another season.

then again...if someone bought him now. let him have a couple of months out,he'll not be cup tied and will be fresh for when it really starts.

i just don't think anyone wants to risk too much on a player that age who's never played in the "major" leagues before.

I don't think we should start spending whatever clubs ask just because our owner has a few £££, same goes with wages.

its not like we've spent bucketloads though, a bit more for one player that has shown quality wouldn't go a miss, surely?

Its like treating yourself to a new expensive pair of jeans, you only do it once in a while as to not break the bank too much, whereas if you did it every week you'd soon come to regret it.

....if you get me drift.

if Spuds go in, we should whack a bid in.  I'd hate to see them get him 'n' all without us even bothering.

For £23m?

nar not that, but I'd still be surprised if thats the fee he leaves for.

The price will drop like a stone as Zenit's first CL game approaches. No way will any buying club want him cup-tied. He'll end up going for about £15m top whack.

I agree.  And for £15m I don't think a billionnaire owner can complain, although he's not as young as Modric.

Unless of course, Ashley is that unwilling to spend.

No way will he join us like, especially as we appear to not be offering over-the-top wages like we used to, and don't have Europe.  I'd just be sick as fuck to see him end up "daan the laaayne".

I think he sees himself as a 'Champions League' player and would be unwilling to drop to the UEFA Cup.

However, if Spurs offer enough (to Zenit and Arshavin himself) then I can see him as a Spurs player, no problem. He'll sign for the $$$ because he knows he might not get another chance of a massive contract.

I don't think we should start spending whatever clubs ask just because our owner has a few £££, same goes with wages.

its not like we've spent bucketloads though, a bit more for one player that has shown quality wouldn't go a miss, surely?

Its like treating yourself to a new expensive pair of jeans, you only do it once in a while as to not break the bank too much, whereas if you did it every week you'd soon come to regret it.

....if you get me drift.

true to a point........but what if you weren't sure about how long the jeans would last,not sure even if they lasted they'd be very unstylish ina year or so and cost £300 ?

if Spuds go in, we should whack a bid in.  I'd hate to see them get him 'n' all without us even bothering.

For £23m?

The price will drop like a stone as Zenit's first CL game approaches. No way will any buying club want him cup-tied. He'll end up going for about £15m top whack.

I agree.  And for £15m I don't think a billionnaire owner can complain, although he's not as young as Modric.

No way will he join us like, especially as we appear to not be offering over-the-top wages like we used to, and don't have Europe.  I'd just be sick as f*** to see him end up "daan the laaayne".

I think he sees himself as a 'Champions League' player and would be unwilling to drop to the UEFA Cup.

However, if Spurs offer enough (to Zenit and Arshavin himself) then I can see him as a Spurs player, no problem. He'll sign for the $$$ because he knows he might not get another chance of a massive contract.

A good point, its probably just my heart overruling my head, and that I'll be as sick as a flu-ridden parrott if they get him too.

For £23m?

No way will he join us like, especially as we appear to not be offering over-the-top wages like we used to, and don't have Europe.  I'd just be sick as f*** to see him end up "daan the laaayne".

If Arshavin moves to WHL it won't be because down to the flexibility of our salary structure, we probably can't match what Zenit are paying him.

If he does move, I think it will be because he wants a move to a better league, get better exposure and seek a more high profile club in a season or two.  Much the same as Berbatov tbh.

....if you get me drift.

true to a point........but what if you weren't sure about how long the jeans would last,not sure even if they lasted they'd be very unstylish ina year or so and cost £300 ?

I suppose thats part of the risk, and perhaps something that has crossed Ashley's mind.  If he's not prepared to spend big on an older player, fair enough.

....if you get me drift.

I suppose thats part of the risk, and perhaps something that has crossed Ashley's mind.  If he's not prepared to spend big on an older player, fair enough.

not just ashleys by the looks of it

For £23m?

If Arshavin moves to WHL it won't be because down to the flexibility of our salary structure, we probably can't match what Zenit are paying him.

If he does move, I think it will be because he wants a move to a better league, get better exposure and seek a more high profile club in a season or two.  Much the same as Berbatov tbh.

Given his age and the fact he's coming off a fantastic Euro '08, he'll never have a better chance to demand a top-drawer contract. If Spurs offer it, he'll sign. If Fiorentina or anyone else offer more - he'll go there instead. He seems to be very money orientated.

Like Modric you mean?  Obviously we're prepared to spend big money on players we believe are good enough, in the right positions and at the right age.  For older players we're not prepared to pay out huge fee's and I support that strategy 100%.  £18 million for Arshavin is a monumental waste of money (£23 million is just pathetic).

You're not still claiming that your club has a tight wage structure are you?  I'd bet that was blown out of the water around the time they went mental and started buying players like Darren Bent for £18 million.

Like Modric you mean?  Obviously we're prepared to spend big money on players we believe are good enough, in the right positions and at the right age.  For older players we're not prepared to pay out huge fee's and I support that strategy 100%.  £18 million for Arshavin is a monumental waste of money.

yeah, Modric is an example.  Tbh I think something around £14m (taking into account Midds' idea his price will drop for CL registration, even though we don't fall into that) for a 28 year old that has shown quality isn't too bad, unless those involved in our wheelings and dealings have plans to put all, or a bulk of that £14m elsewhere of similar quality.

You're not still claiming that your club has a tight wage structure are you?  I'd bet that was blown out of the water around the time they went mental and started buying players like Darren Bent for £18 million.

Without checking, I think the last accounts showed salary/turnover ratio at less than 44%.  Darren Bent cost £15.5m rising to £16.5m and he's getting less than £40k pw basic.  £55k is the ceiling.

Like Modric you mean?  Obviously we're prepared to spend big money on players we believe are good enough, in the right positions and at the right age.  For older players we're not prepared to pay out huge fee's and I support that strategy 100%.  £18 million for Arshavin is a monumental waste of money.

yeah, Modric is an example.  Tbh I think something around £14m (taking into account Midds' idea his price will drop for CL registration, even though we don't fall into that) for a 28 year old that has shown quality isn't too bad, unless those involved in our wheelings and dealings have plans to put all, or a bulk of that £14m elsewhere of similar quality.

The thing is though, Zenit could leave him out of any CL games before August 31st which would mean they could push it right to the limit and maybe get a little more for him as clubs get a bit twitchy for a quality player.  :cheesy:

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.

He's actually 27 and yes £14 million is more reasonable and if Keegan was sure about him it would be well worth it.  But I'm neither confident that he'll be available for £14 million nor that Keegan would be sure about him so I doubt it'll happen.

Guest Heneage

My god he's like that Skanky girl in school round the bike sheds, "Well id love to go to Barcelona" "Arsenal excites me" "ooh id love to talk to Dan Levy".

My god he's like that Skanky girl in school round the bike sheds, "Well id love to go to Barcelona" "Arsenal excites me" "ooh id love to talk to Dan Levy".

You seem to know alot about this girl around the bike sheds..