The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest sicko2ndbest

21/07/2008 11:28

Spurs In For Arshavin, Confirm Zenit

Zenit St Petersburg have confirmed that Tottenham Hotspur have opened talks to sign their star player Andrei Arshavin...

»Comments Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us  galleria zoom    The forward rose to prominence this season as Zenit's star player in their UEFA Cup triumph, particularly when proving instrumental in unlocking a notoriously stubborn Rangers defence in the final.

He went from strength-to-strength at Euro 2008 where, despite missing the first two games due to a careles suspension, he lit up the tournament in Russia's final group game as well as their quarterfinal triumph over then-favourites, the Netherlands.

Though a muted performance against eventual Euro winners Spain in the semi-final dulled much of the initial adulation, he is nevertheless a wanted man and, at 27, is looking to move on from his hometown club for reasons beyond the financial.

Seeking a challenge in one of Europe's major leagues, he has made it clear that his preference lies with Barcelona, who he has supported since he was a child. However, the Blaugrana appear to have opted for more of a midfield option with Barcelona's Aliaksandr Hleb - who was also cheaper - and only look like buying a replacement for Samuel Eto'o as a main striker now, if indeed they do make any further purchases.

Rumours of interest from the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal have been banded about the press but refuted by the Russian champions. Everton and Real Madrid were interested prior to the Euros but have since drifted out of sight. Even Milan were mentioned briefly regarding a potential move for the player, but they have since opted for Ronaldinho

The latest club to have been thrown in the frame was Tottenham Hotspur, yet another London club, who may well need to replace club vice-captain and fan favourite Robbie Keane in the coming weeks as the lure of Liverpool looks like proving too great to resist for the Irishman.

In Arshavin, they would have what can only be described as a perfect replacement and, unlike the interest of Chelsea and Arsenal, Tottenham's has been confirmed by Zenit.

Zenit official Konstantin Sarsaniya has now revealed that Tottenham have been in contact though, with Juande Ramos looking to prepare for the possible departures of Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov.

“We have been in contact with Tottenham,” Zenit spokesperson Konstantin Sarsaniya told the Russian press.

“This English club is really interested in acquiring Andrei, but our understanding is that €27 million (£21.5 million) is too high a price for them.

“For Spurs it is unacceptable. They are ready to pay approximately €20 million (£15.9 million) for Arshavin.”

The Russian chief refuted the notion that Manchester City, smarting from losing out on Ronaldinho, have made a move for Arshavin: “I have not heard of this.”

Chet Winter, Goal.com

Guest sicko2ndbest

Midfield of

Dos Santos    Modric    Arshavin

Very lightweight but f##k me what quality when they have the ball. They are going to make a monkey out of some of the average teams (oh shit thats us!  :dave:)

Guest elbee909

Spurs are officially the stepping stone club of choice though, now.  Arshavin and Modric to both be there in two years' time, if Arshavin signs?  Yeah right.

Just seems to be his agent getting progressively more desparate. He's gone from Barcelona, to Arse / Chelsea and now Spurs... Give it a couple more weeks and his agent will suddenly be welcoming Newcastle interest...

Spurs are officially the stepping stone club of choice though, now.  Arshavin and Modric to both be there in two years' time, if Arshavin signs?  Yeah right.

While what you say is true, I think it's silly to have an undertone of scorn in that post: we'd love to be in a position to be a "stepping stone club" at the moment, at least it would mean we'd have a few players that the quality teams actually want...

Guest Flair

Just seems to be his agent getting progressively more desparate. He's gone from Barcelona, to Arse / Chelsea and now Spurs... Give it a couple more weeks and his agent will suddenly be welcoming Newcastle interest...

Thing is that he will probably end up signing for us, the  way it is going.

Guest sicko2ndbest

sorry for the bump guys but.......

Arshavin open to Spurs talks

By Neil Vaughan - 24/07/2008 22:05 Rivals

ANDREI ARSHAVIN'S agent has revealed that the striker would be interested in a move to Tottenham Hotspur.

The Russian playmaker who helped Russia to the semi-final's of Euro 2008 is valued at around £23million by Zenit St Petersburg.

Despite already stating that his dream move would be to Barcelona, Arshavin is said to be keen on a switch to the Premiership and to White Hart Lane.

Arshavin's representatives have told Sky Sports sources that they would welcome the chance to speak with chairman Daniel Levy.

sorry for the bump guys but.......

Arshavin open to Spurs talks

By Neil Vaughan - 24/07/2008 22:05 Rivals

ANDREI ARSHAVIN'S agent has revealed that the striker would be interested in a move to Tottenham Hotspur.

The Russian playmaker who helped Russia to the semi-final's of Euro 2008 is valued at around £23million by Zenit St Petersburg.

Despite already stating that his dream move would be to Barcelona, Arshavin is said to be keen on a switch to the Premiership and to White Hart Lane.

Arshavin's representatives have told Sky Sports sources that they would welcome the chance to speak with chairman Daniel Levy.

Arshavin's main representative spoke to Bryan Swanson this afternoon.  Since then Fiorentina have thrown their hat in the ring.  They can offer CL but I've no idea how their finances are.  ITK's say that there is tentative agreement that if Arshavin moves, Pavlychenko will as well.

arshavin is fucking desperate.

he's gone from dreaming of barca, to dreaming of arsenal, to being open to a move to spuds.

Wasn't he pictured holding up a Barca shirt last week?  :lol:

I think he's got an over-inflated opinion of himself imo. He's a very good player but I honestly believe the top, top clubs in Europe wouldn't pay anywhere near what Zenit want.

if Spuds go in, we should whack a bid in.  I'd hate to see them get him 'n' all without us even bothering.

For £23m?

nar not that, but I'd still be surprised if thats the fee he leaves for.

The price will drop like a stone as Zenit's first CL game approaches. No way will any buying club want him cup-tied. He'll end up going for about £15m top whack.

I am not sure how far into the season the Russians are but I am guessing that the top clubs have guesed that even with squad rotation, by the time next March/April comes and the CL and Leagues get to their most crucial stages, he is going to be absolutely burnt out.

Staying at Zenit for another season.

if Spuds go in, we should whack a bid in.  I'd hate to see them get him 'n' all without us even bothering.

For £23m?

nar not that, but I'd still be surprised if thats the fee he leaves for.

The price will drop like a stone as Zenit's first CL game approaches. No way will any buying club want him cup-tied. He'll end up going for about £15m top whack.

I agree.  And for £15m I don't think a billionnaire owner can complain, although he's not as young as Modric.

Unless of course, Ashley is that unwilling to spend.

No way will he join us like, especially as we appear to not be offering over-the-top wages like we used to, and don't have Europe.  I'd just be sick as fuck to see him end up "daan the laaayne".