Arda Turan?

Guest hindu times

Some people on here are mad - here you all are, stating clearly that you realise agents and other clubs will mention other teams being interested to jack up the price. Yet as soon some are mentioned, everyone starts getting tetchy. Here's the thing. We may be interested in signing him, no bid has been made, he would be interested in coming to England, the price seems to be 16million Euros. Those are the facts, it's not too interesting. It's not even June yet.

:thup:

The Modric thing is getting lots of people worried I think. We're still not entirely sure on the ambitions of the new board though (not that I'm saying they have to prove it this early into the summer), so IMO it's quite understandable that they are nervous. Especially when it comes to a player that seems to be highly rated such as this guy.

I don't know personally. I think at least some sign of intent needs to be shown before the Euros, lest we get taken for mugs after it. I just don't want another fiasco like the last few seasons with last minute deals springing up.

We know that players have been scouted and there is a list of players that they want.. maybe I'm simplifying it, but as such there hasn't been massive progress. You may say that it's only early, but that hasn't stopped other teams bringing players in already.

1. The Modric situation.

2. The Euros kicking off very soon.

3. Uncertainty over our whole new approach to getting players in.

4. Uncertainty over the boards ambition.

All these things have knickers in major twists and really it's hard to fault that. It's an uncertain time but hopefully we'll come out of it okay.

The season ended about 2 weeks ago. Players, managers, maybe board members, I don't know - they're all taking holidays. Let's not panic yet. Thus far the Ashley regime has appeared very well thought-out - like them or not, the appointments like Wise, Jimenez and Vetere suggest that we're putting a sensible structure in place. Let's get the chairman thing sorted out first. Ashley and the board will know who Keegan and the others want. They've made it very clearly that the last regime left us in massive debt and gone are the days of paying over the odds for players and silly wages, and spot on too if you ask me. This is going to be a summer of hard negotiations for transfers. We're not just going to wave a chequebook at some stop-gap foreign name. It didn't work before. I'm sure these is some interest in the kid but perhaps they are waiting to see what others bid. If someone else matches the 16 million Euros, maybe we'll increase. Until then, why would we? And until other offers don't start materialising, Gala are going to hold out.

I can understand why people maybebe getting nervous the Modric deal was a big blow for us - he would of been a huge signing for us and to have it hijacked in such seemingly odd circumstances just addds to the air of inevitabiltiy about our transfer policies this summer.

However as early as it is, i still would find it strange if the board didnt choose to act before Euro2008, whatever price they are quoted now will be the minimum price they are quoted after the Euro's, not to mention the potential competition we'd have from extra exposure. My feelings are that id be dissapointed if we had to wait till after Euro's to sign anyone in light of our new scouting set up, logic being that they should already have a firm assessment of who they want and not need the tournament to confirm those feelings.

The season ended about 2 weeks ago. Players, managers, maybe board members, I don't know - they're all taking holidays. Let's not panic yet. Thus far the Ashley regime has appeared very well thought-out - like them or not, the appointments like Wise, Jimenez and Vetere suggest that we're putting a sensible structure in place. Let's get the chairman thing sorted out first. Ashley and the board will know who Keegan and the others want. They've made it very clearly that the last regime left us in massive debt and gone are the days of paying over the odds for players and silly wages, and spot on too if you ask me. This is going to be a summer of hard negotiations for transfers. We're not just going to wave a chequebook at some stop-gap foreign name. It didn't work before. I'm sure these is some interest in the kid but perhaps they are waiting to see what others bid. If someone else matches the 16 million Euros, maybe we'll increase. Until then, why would we? And until other offers don't start materialising, Gala are going to hold out.

The thing is people post this sort of stuff every year, telling us it's still early and not to panic. But the same bloody thing happens every year, we make our signings too late, first they miss pre season with us, which is hugely important and then the prices go up because other clubs see how desperate we are.

A sensible approach is to have all your targets identified, scouted and assessed and preliminary discussiona with their clubs and agents started well before the end of the season. So come the last game, you are in a position to move. Other clubs seem to do that but for some reason we never seem to. Perhaps the Modric deal was a sign that we are now thinking along those lines but I would hope that they would not have put all their eggs in one basket.

If you get the holes in the squad fixed early in the off season, that removes the anxiety, temptation to panic buy and alows you to react sensibly should a player unexpectidly become available.

As is tying down the contracts for the players at the club, that you want to stay, it seems to have gone very quiet on the Owen and Taylor front.

Perhaps there has been an awful lot of work going on behind the scenes that the club don't want out into the public domain but there's no evidence yet of that. Hopefully that is intentional and just around the corner there is major development, 2 or 3 quality signings would soon melt away any nervousness.

Assuming a good portion of our targets will take part in Euro 2008 it then becomes very important for us to complete the most important deals before the tournement starts.  A lot of clubs will be looking at players with similar attributes to the ones we want, but may not have done as much work scouting that player as us.  They might not be sure of the quality of that player yet, if we are sure then that gives us the advantage, something that will be lost once Euro 2008 starts.

Guest Jawesome

Why are people worried?  I don't get it.  Too many pessimistic people following this club.

Why are people worried?  I don't get it.  Too many pessimistic people following this club.

20 pages on some Teamtalk bullshit about a player 98% of us had never heard of until his name was linked.  While it does look like Spurs transfer policy this summer is "buy all the players our rivals are interested in" I can't say I can't understand all this worry about one player.  Be cool.  I'm waiting until at least July 1 to hit the panic button.

Guest MaetihS

MaetihS, you're not exactly putting your neck on the line by saying we won't sign everybody though are you? :rolleyes:

I am putting my neck on the line that should our offer is accepted for these rising stars along with the likes of Spurs and Everton, the players will not come to us. What is my intention is my honest opinion that i am not expecting we can sign these "well-known" rising stars simply because in their eyes we are not attractive enough relative to Spurs and others who can offer Europe and who has somewhat overtaken us as one of THE clubs to join other than the Big 4. Like i say again, i gladly accept any criticism (to those jokers who personal attack: pls no personal attacks on wives and such) if i am proven wrong. What i can only hope is that we sign players that no one heard of and no one that has interest in them and these signings turn out to be brilliant and that they can be rising stars at our club. Simply, i feel that these rising stars will not choose us over the others.

Guest MaetihS

Simply a thought: why are our moves (if we are really interested and a bid is actually put in) for such players take a long time? Few reasons: 1) clubs are using us to attract higher bids 2) a more sinister and pessimistic one: simply these players are indifferent or not that interested to join us and thus selling clubs are under no pressure to accept our bids; they know even if other clubs are not in with more attractive offers, the player will not to be fussed over it. 3) Taking from reason 2, these players are probably asking their agents to sound out "bigger clubs" like Spurs and these agents in turn will advise Spurs to put a higher bid with the mutual understanding that all parties including the selling club are willingly to do the deal. Best scenario: Spurs and others are not interested and thus allow our bid to be accepted, player has thus a choice.  He may thus join us. Modric is a good eg; he moves to Spurs for a lower wage and all. If he was in the first place wants to come to us, i am sure the selling club will sell to us even for a slightly lower price. Woodgate is also another eg.

Guest MaetihS

In a way is not the board's fault for missing out on Modric-like transfers. It is the club's responsibility to get the best deal and thus negotiate a lower transfer price; as mentioned earlier, if that player is really interested in us, the selling club will be more under pressure to do the deal. I have a feeling the feedback from these players are along those line: "Chairman, see if you can agree a deal and i will then choose whether to move. if the price is not right, no problem, i am more than happy to stay put. Newcastle is just an ok proposition".  just like KK say on Woodgate and Modric transfers, we miss out simply because we do not have that pulling power anymore; in addition to the attraction of Europe.

Simply a thought: why are our moves (if we are really interested and a bid is actually put in) for such players take a long time? Few reasons: 1) clubs are using us to attract higher bids 2) a more sinister and pessimistic one: simply these players are indifferent or not that interested to join us and thus selling clubs are under no pressure to accept our bids; they know even if other clubs are not in with more attractive offers, the player will not to be fussed over it. 3) Taking from reason 2, these players are probably asking their agents to sound out "bigger clubs" like Spurs and these agents in turn will advise Spurs to put a higher bid with the mutual understanding that all parties including the selling club are willingly to do the deal. Best scenario: Spurs and others are not interested and thus allow our bid to be accepted, player has thus a choice.  He may thus join us. Modric is a good eg; he moves to Spurs for a lower wage and all. If he was in the first place wants to come to us, i am sure the selling club will sell to us even for a slightly lower price. Woodgate is also another eg.

http://b4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00144/46/90/144410964_m.jpg http://www.maudmac.com/avatar/whatevia-avatar.gif

Guest MaetihS

All the thoughts and speculation that we have spies and all and transfers get leaked out and spurs coming with offers are just plain silly. Just like selling a house, if A puts in an offer for my house, i will consider and ask my agent to sound out other buyers. Simply, Spurs came in for Modric (even though we are ahead) are all done with the player's blessing and probably instruction to earn a move to more favoured clubs.

Guest MaetihS

Also all the talk by agents being pests and influencing players are quite silly. Most players know what they want and are adults; the players are the ones behind the agents sourcing for other clubs for them. Even if agents initiate the moves, i do not believe one bit that the players are not supportive of it.

Do you ever stop?  I've been trying to ignore you but I just can't any longer.  Why on earth would an agent who is also the owner of the selling club ignore a much higher bid from us and take a lower one from the Spuds?  Especially before the Euro's when more clubs would be likely to come in.  Because they care about Modric and its his dream to play for the Spuds? :lol:  You're looking at everything in the most negative way possible regardless of how illogical it is.

http://www.maraton.com.tr/news.php?news_id=45391

this is a more reliable source re the 13 m bid. The funny thing in the article is that Spurs actually are willing to buy him asap cos Newcastle and Boro are in the race also.. but it states that Spurs haven't an exact clue who Arda really is so they will watch matches of him as soon as possible...

the sad thing is it's not hard to believe this is true.

Guest MaetihS

Do you ever stop?  I've been trying to ignore you but I just can't any longer.  Why on earth would an agent who is also the owner of the selling club ignore a much higher bid from us and take a lower one from the Spuds?  Especially before the Euro's when more clubs would be likely to come in.  Because they care about Modric? :lol:  You're looking at everything in the most negative way possible regardless of how illogical it is.

As i say only time will tell. If the player is desperate to join us, even if Spurs offer is accepted, u think not his agent will feedback to us and put a similar bid cos his client prefers us. think abt it...nowadays, players are smart and also ambitious, it is not all abt the selling club dedicting the play. The player in fact has a major say. They would not just move to a club just because the bid is accepted, knowing his preferred club is just short of a few million of the accepted price.

Guest MaetihS

Do you ever stop?  I've been trying to ignore you but I just can't any longer.  Why on earth would an agent who is also the owner of the selling club ignore a much higher bid from us and take a lower one from the Spuds?  Especially before the Euro's when more clubs would be likely to come in.  Because they care about Modric and its his dream to play for the Spuds? :lol:  You're looking at everything in the most negative way possible regardless of how illogical it is.

Of course the agent will do what the client wants or he will be replaced. it is not hard to think that. I am not saying it is his dream; its just that the agent put two clubs before "which u prefer" he will choose one unless he is indifferent and the agent will work on that. if that does not materlise, it is the player's choice to move to the other club. All the dilly dallying are all about finding the best possible deal for player and selling club.

Do you ever stop?  I've been trying to ignore you but I just can't any longer.  Why on earth would an agent who is also the owner of the selling club ignore a much higher bid from us and take a lower one from the Spuds?  Especially before the Euro's when more clubs would be likely to come in.  Because they care about Modric? :lol:  You're looking at everything in the most negative way possible regardless of how illogical it is.

As i say only time will tell. If the player is desperate to join us, even if Spurs offer is accepted, u think not his agent will feedback to us and put a similar bid cos his client prefers us. think abt it...nowadays, players are smart and also ambitious, it is not all abt the selling club dedicting the play. The player in fact has a major say. They would not just move to a club just because the bid is accepted, knowing his preferred club is just short of a few million of the accepted price.

Why would a young Turk have a massive preference for one over the other? It's us and Spurs, not Hartlepool and Barcelona.

Guest MaetihS

I thought both our bids are accepted and Modric choose to move to Spurs for lower wages. KK said that right? This is a move based on what Modric wants, of course they care about what he wants or a deal will never be done.

Guest MaetihS

Why would a young Turk have a massive preference for one over the other? It's us and Spurs, not Hartlepool and Barcelona.

That is why i say we have less pulling power and that makes it sadder right??? Spurs is not Man U. Europe for one, club going in the right direction by winning a cup albeit a small one, more famous coach while we are still quite unstable in terms of structure and higher mgt, Europe looks unlikely for at least a few seasons at least, where is the ambitious?? by not signing better players, seems to be relegation candidates for past few seasons instead of Europe contenders.....    Only a signing of a rising star (if it is possible) or a big name signing will signal our ambitions and thus sway these rising stars.