Kazenga LuaLua

Dave

Been to loads of games this year (and obviously seen most of the rest on the box), but I've never actually seen this lad play. I have however, seen a couple of people say he looks exciting.

Anyone who's seen much of him care to explain his qualities? Is he going to be ready for more first team action next season? Might he save us looking for an attacking midfielder this summer*?

*Not to be our saviour obviously, I just mean having an option without having to buy one.

Reminds me a lot of N'Zogbia but he seems to have more of a footballing brain to go with it, Zoggy for example would rather put his head down and try and run his way out of trouble where as LuaLua looks more likely to play his way out instead, has the potential to be a first teamer in a few years without doubt as long as we bring him through properly.

Not 18 until December so I don't think we can put off buying a midfielder by any means.

Hopefully he'll be ready to challenge for the first team in a couple of years, only seen him in a couple of sub appearances but he's looked like one with potential anyway. Hopefully he'll be around the fringes of the first team this year, would be nice to have a homegrown prospect coming through.

Not 18 until December so I don't think we can put off buying a midfielder by any means.

Hopefully he'll be ready to challenge for the first team in a couple of years, only seen him in a couple of sub appearances but he's looked like one with potential anyway. Hopefully he'll be around the fringes of the first team this year, would be nice to have a homegrown prospect coming through.

He wouldn't have made any appearances this season if he were still years away, surely? ???

Similar comment towards Thespence's post too.

He wouldn't have made any appearances this season if he were still years away, surely? ???

Yes but who was picking him?

To clarify, I'm certainly not saying we should be starting him, nor am I suggesting we can put off buying anyone. Simply asking the question, given that he's already in and around the first team squad. Clearly the club think he's ready to challenge, or he wouldn't have been anywhere near.

Pearson picked him for two games, the rest have been with Keegan in charge.

Guest Stephen927

Looks like a good prospect but still some way off from the first team. Don't think he's good enough at the moment to rely on for back up.

Can remember him coming on against Stoke under Allardyce, which games has he been picked for Keegan?

Can remember him coming on against Stoke under Allardyce, which games has he been picked for Keegan?

He came on against Bolton too iirc but this was with a pretty bare side with ANC and injures going on so I dunno how this shows his squad prospects.

Shit, forgot Allardyce was still in charge for Stoke away. Pearson picked him for the replay, and Keegan has played him against Bolton, Arsenal (in the Cup), and Everton.

I think we were down to the bare bones. There is only one attacking player who has stood out for the reserves for me this year & that is Andy Carroll. I have mentioned it a few times now but most reserves games are not indicators to first team football but the Sunderland game was as Keane sent a team packed with experince & they blew all our so callled "young talent" out of the water.

Fair enough then, most replies suggest he's not close to the first team at all. Point taken. :D

But what is the fuss about in the first place? Only Baggio has tried to answer me on his qualities. Reserve watchers?

I meant ready to challenge to be a first-choice player btw. Hopefully he'll start getting in and around the first team squad and getting a few first team appearances, likely as a sub, towards the end of this coming season, but anything more is extremely unlikely you would have to think.

He has the potential to be a very good player, the one worry i have is that i've watched him for the last 4 seasons now and don't know what his best position is!!  In fairness though that is proabably down to the reserve coach playing him in a different position every week,  near the end of the season the reserves were playing a sort of 4141 formation and he would be in about 4 different positions in 1 half!! Carroll would be up front,  Donninger would sit as the holding player and the likes of Kaz, Troisi, Godsmark and Baheng would interchange positions in support of the striker.  The formation worked quite well as the results in the latter part of the season showed but personally speaking i think it would be a better benefit to our young players to have a recognised position and play it week in week out.  Also probably help their development if they went back to playing in their age groups than "fast tracked" into the reserve team.  While no doubting the talent of the likes of Lualua and others such as Godsmark, Donaldson,  they aren't the biggest all still on the small side and been in the reserve team for 3 seasons.  They were in the reserve team when their position in the club pecking order was under 16,  this pattern continues with virtually all the reserve squad of the last 2 seasons,  all should be in the under 18 academy side but playing in reserve team,  under 18's team then has half the team with players who should be playing under 16.  The lack of talent coming thru proves that this policy hasn't worked.  We've only had one or two break into the 1st team squad each season in the last 3,  Edgar, Huntington was from the year younger and this season Carroll and Kazenga although Lua is 2 yrs younger(going off youth cup availibility, Carroll was too old this season, kaz can still play next season)

I really do hope he kicks on and fulfils his potential as could be a great Newcastle player,  could find his best position playing behind the striker, sort of Beardsley type roll, thats where i'd like to see him play next year in the reserves as oftens gets wasted out wide as doesn't see enough of the ball.  Also still scored one of the best goals i've seen a NUFC player score when he scored away at Swindon in the youth cup a few years back, think you maybe able to find it on youtube or the FA's website, he picks the ball up in his own half on the right, turns, skips past about 3 challenges and then as he's cutting in unleashes a screamer from 35 yards straight into the top corner!!  well worth a watch if you can find it.

While no doubting the talent of the likes of Lualua and others such as Godsmark, Donaldson,  they aren't the biggest all still on the small side and been in the reserve team for 3 seasons.  They were in the reserve team when their position in the club pecking order was under 16,  this pattern continues with virtually all the reserve squad of the last 2 seasons,  all should be in the under 18 academy side but playing in reserve team,  under 18's team then has half the team with players who should be playing under 16.  The lack of talent coming thru proves that this policy hasn't worked. 

That bit is spot on & your other points are pretty much on the money as well . The reserves being a bloated youth team rather than halfway meet between first team fringe players & the best youngster coming through I belive hinders development.

Best player to come through the ranks since Gazza imo. In his first team appearances, he hasn't looked remotely out of place. He has that great change of direction that Lua Lua Snr had, but also a bit more in terms of composure and touch on the ball.

Technically very good which seems like his brother taught him something before, good vision and teamworking, I would have no problem to blood him next season because he is really excellent as a 17 years old player. However he probably couldn't make it because of lack of physical strength --- even worse than his brother. He isn't that fast too.

Maybe we should farm him out on loan next season, get him some first team experience, from what I've read/seen of him he should be able to hold his own at least in league 1