Who will crack the big four and when?

ChrisJbarnes

seems the big four are becoming stronger and stronger, and its harder to catch them. does anyone think itll be cracked next season? and if so who by? i reckon if anyones going to do it itll be everton 4th and liverpool 5th. however, spurs are getting better as well and lost out on the last day a couple of seasons ago. could be quite entertaining because liverpool and chelsea are evidently suffering backroom fiascos, with (if you believe the tabloids) avram grant under pressure and drogba wanting to leave, and the greedy yanks and rafa situation at anfield.

i next season reckon itll be man united, arsenal, chelsea, liverpool, everton, spurs, villa, newcastle.

seems the big four are becoming stronger and stronger, and its harder to catch them. does anyone think itll be cracked next season? and if so who by? i reckon if anyones going to do it itll be everton 4th and liverpool 5th. however, spurs are getting better as well and lost out on the last day a couple of seasons ago. could be quite entertaining because liverpool and chelsea are evidently suffering backroom fiascos, with (if you believe the tabloids) avram grant under pressure and drogba wanting to leave, and the greedy yanks and rafa situation at anfield.

i next season reckon itll be man united, arsenal, chelsea, liverpool, everton, spurs, villa, newcastle.

Everton ? Not a chance.

The only clubs to break it will be the ones who are spending on top players, and THAT, is a stonewall certainty.

Hate to say it, but if anyone will then it will be Spurs. Seems to be some idea on here that Spurs will have a shit season again because they did last year but they have a very good manager now with money behind him it seems.

Newcastle United in 2013

Manager - Paul Ince

Top striker - Gomis 30 goals (having indeed morphed into the new Drogba)

Top midfielder - Samir Nasri 20 assists

Top defender - Not Steven Taylor

Gaol Keeper - Tim Krul

Newcastle United in 2013

Manager - Paul Ince

Gaol Keeper - Tim Krul

quite impressive what Ince has done mind.

Everton ? Not a chance.

The only clubs to break it will be the ones who are spending on top players, and THAT, is a stonewall certainty.

I agree on principal, i think Everton could have done it this year if it wasn't for injuries to key players though. Liverpool were pretty poor by their standards this year.

Hate to say it, but if anyone will then it will be Spurs. Seems to be some idea on here that Spurs will have a s*** season again because they did last year but they have a very good manager now with money behind him it seems.

Even with the Modric signing they still lack character, I still feel they are a fancy pants team and nothing more. They severely lack physical strength and explosiveness. Till they add a bit of this I think they will continue to struggle. I'm yet to be convinced.

Spurs and Villa are the only 2 teams in the prem who are fully equipped for a sustained assault on the CL if you ask me, we wont be ready for another 2-3 years if you ask me, think UEFA cup is imperative  next year if we are gonna start progresssing fully.

Us or Spurs in 2 season's time.

Mind when Wenger, Fergie and Abramovich all leave, the big four could change altogether depending on what happens after.

of course, one or more of them will "go backwards". Thats football.

everton were robbed of 3 points at goodison by the ref (but everyone gets bad decisions) and i reckon have the quality if they strengthen their squad a bit, although it does seem spurs are more likely. although, their defence is an absolute joke and it remains to be seen what they do about that

Newcastle United in 2013

Manager - Paul Ince

Gaol Keeper - Tim Krul

I was only fairly impressed up until I actually saw MK Dons play and I was stunned because they actually play some very good football and they got away with it and indeed dominated with it in the rough and tumble world of the lower leagues.

That guy has serious potential. He's not just a shouter and motivator by any means, which is probably what I expected him to be due to his personality when he played.

Hate to say it, but if anyone will then it will be Spurs. Seems to be some idea on here that Spurs will have a s*** season again because they did last year but they have a very good manager now with money behind him it seems.

Even with the Modric signing they still lack character, I still feel they are a fancy pants team and nothing more. They severely lack physical strength and explosiveness. Till they add a bit of this I think they will continue to struggle. I'm yet to be convinced.

I think they are a bit weaker than the media make out so i agree with you. They have nothing that i've seen in the midfield that's of any obvious quality, if we had any one of Malbranque, Lennon, Tainio, Jenas, Zakora i'd want us to replce with a better player. Huddlestone may have a future, we'll see if Modric is any goog here.

Newcastle United in 2013

Manager - Paul Ince

Gaol Keeper - Tim Krul

I was only fairly impressed up until I actually saw MK Dons play and I was stunned because they actually play some very good football and they got away with it and indeed dominated with it in the rough and tumble world of the lower leagues.

That guy has serious potential. He's not just a shouter and motivator by any means, which is probably what I expected him to be due to his personality when he played.

I've seen very few people have such an impact. Ferguson, Clough, Shankly etc all did.....giants of the managerial game, very early days to put him in that bracket, but one to watch for sure. As everyone will be doing. If they play pass and move football, then that is the type to play at the highest levels.

Everton have had a very good season, but I just don't think they have the financial muscle to make the step up to the top four.

Aston Villa might if they are heavily backed by Learner, but he seems to be running them more like a business than a Chelski style money pit.

Man City have the financial backing but with Shinawatra in charge they probably won't ever have the stability needed to crack the top four.

Spurs are probably the most likely but, other than the League Cup, they didn't really look like top four contenders at any point last season.

Really, the only way any club is going to consistently crack the top four is if one of the current top four fall apart. That's not going to happen to Arsenal, unlikely to happen to Man U. The most likely senarios are:

Liverpool's infighting and debt forces them to sell their best players, although that's unlikely with super-rich DIC waiting in the wings.

Something happens to Abramovich or he gets bored and decides Chelsea have to stop running at a loss.

Otherwise I think we're stuck with the same top four for a long time to come.

At the moment I think that Everton are the closest, but I can only see us or Spurs spending enough to do it. Villa are something of an unknown quantity as I don't know much about Lerner or how much cash he's prepared to throw at the problem.

Spurs and Newcastle are the only two clubs with realistic and sustainable top 4 ambitions. Spurs are about a year a ahead of us. A correctly implimented plan of development and ambition should have us ready within 3 years to make a proper assault.

Guest Stephen927

Everton have had a very good season, but I just don't think they have the financial muscle to make the step up to the top four.

Aston Villa might if they are heavily backed by Learner, but he seems to be running them more like a business than a Chelski style money pit.

Man City have the financial backing but with Shinawatra in charge they probably won't ever have the stability needed to crack the top four.

Spurs are probably the most likely but, other than the League Cup, they didn't really look like top four contenders at any point last season.

Really, the only way any club is going to consistently crack the top four is if one of the current top four fall apart. That's not going to happen to Arsenal, unlikely to happen to Man U. The most likely senarios are:

Liverpool's infighting and debt forces them to sell their best players, although that's unlikely with super-rich DIC waiting in the wings.

Something happens to Abramovich or he gets bored and decides Chelsea have to stop running at a loss.

Otherwise I think we're stuck with the same top four for a long time to come.

I'm sure I read that Lerner had gave O'Neill a sizeable wedge in the past two transfer windows, but O'Neill didn't want to spend wrecklessly.

Next season, if anyone is going to break into the top four, I would say Aston Villa. Although it is very early days, I'd have to see what happens in the coming transfer window.

IMO it's nowhere near as hard as the media (and our manager apparently) would have you believe. I'll actually be surprised if at least one of Everton, Villa, Spurs, Pompey, Blackburn or Man City don't get in next year ahead of one or more of Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool. All dependent on Summer activities and luck next year of course.

At the moment I think that Everton are the closest, but I can only see us or Spurs spending enough to do it. Villa are something of an unknown quantity as I don't know much about Lerner or how much cash he's prepared to throw at the problem.

More or less agree.  Everton are the closest and could challenge the top 4 next season, I think Villa are probably next, followed by Spurs then Newcastle.  I think next season will be no more than a settling in season for Spurs, maybe a Cup with some kindly draws but probably no better than 7th or 8th.

More or less agree.  Everton are the closest and could challenge the top 4 next season, I think Villa are probably next, followed by Spurs then Newcastle.  I think next season will be no more than a settling in season for Spurs, maybe a Cup with some kindly draws but probably no better than 7th or 8th.

Nobody here really cares tbf. Can't you take a hint?