The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I fancy Turkey to do it actually. Apart from the fact that I just like (and therefore hope) that underdogs do well generally, Turkey's got quite a few quality players.

I think the Germans will struggle in defence (having seen their squad) and won't be as strong as they normally are in these tournaments. The Italians just don't seem like the Italians and France still seems to be depending on too many of their old guard (Vieira and Henry immediately come to mind). Out of all the 'favourites', I'd say Portugal have the best chance of living up to their reputation because they've got an absolutely awesome squad of players.

i've took gomez as top scorer(23) and to finish in the top 3(7.6). he's in the easiest group,easier side of the draw and playing for the tournament favourites. opportunities to lay (fnarr fnarr) later.

Guest fuchs34

I fancy Turkey to do it actually. Apart from the fact that I just like (and therefore hope) that underdogs do well generally, Turkey's got quite a few quality players.

I think the Germans will struggle in defence (having seen their squad) and won't be as strong as they normally are in these tournaments. The Italians just don't seem like the Italians and France still seems to be depending on too many of their old guard (Vieira and Henry immediately come to mind). Out of all the 'favourites', I'd say Portugal have the best chance of living up to their reputation because they've got an absolutely awesome squad of players.

Thanks man  :coolsmiley: we will rock. The only problem is our Defence. Offensively we have no problems but two good players on every Position. The biggest suprise for you will be Emre how he plays for Turkey.

Thanks man  :coolsmiley: we will rock. The only problem is our Defence. Offensively we have no problems but two good players on every Position. The biggest suprise for you will be Emre how he plays for Turkey.

Whenever I've seen him play for Turkey he always looks a lot better than he does for us, I fancy him to have quite a good tournament.

i think alot of people will be suprised by the fact that colin kazim-richards is most likely going to make it in to turkeys euro 2008 team.

the final cuts of the teams for the euros are not done yet but his a favourate of the turkey manager. i meant that he was playing for bury 3 years ago and his team (while in england) sheffield utd got relegated and he played extreamly poor during his time in the premiership and now his going to feature in the euros.

particularly interested to hear from isegrim and parky about how the locals view germany's chances.

I would say the majority is (over)optimistic. Most think we have good chances to reach the semis or more. Though, there is still quite a big proportion of fans who are not overly keen on the new way of German football. Especially after the mixed results in the last year - especially the home loss against the Czechs (who we had totally destroyed in the first leg though).

Problem for Germany will probably be the lack of quality in depths. In the provisional squad are even a couple of players from lower division clubs. We have a few good players, but too much rely on them. Lehmann in goal is past it. Hanging on to him could prove costly. In defence Lahm had a indifferent season. Metzelder is a perma-crock. So we are relying on Mertesacker, who is an exceptional talent though.

In midfield all is about Ballack. Frings who was great at the last world cup had loads of injuries. Schweinsteiger was very poor. Schneider, who used to add some trickery to the team is injured. So we are lacking a bit of creativity and inspiration if especially Schweinsteiger can't up his game.

Up front we are probably best. Though, Podolski had to play second fiddle to Toni and Klose for most of the season, even though Klose had a poor run of form in recent months. But if Gomez can keep his form, he could be one of the stars of the tournament.

With being lucky with the draw (again), everything but making it to the quarters would be a total failure. Afterwards everything is possible, especially if we can build up some kind of momentum.

i've took gomez as top scorer(23) and to finish in the top 3(7.6). he's in the easiest group,easier side of the draw and playing for the tournament favourites. opportunities to lay (fnarr fnarr) later.

He's never going to score that many.

I just stuck about £5 on Gomez too on the same odds. Put another £10 on Klose, so either of them will do me

Guest Roland

Huntelaar will not be in the starting 11 for NL. Drenthe will be in the Olympic team btw.

Our defence is not very good, think we will have big problems there.

Best squad is Spain but they never show it in the big matches, France for me therefore.

Guest AceDeuce

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8985/euro08eo3.jpg

turkey will never loose against germany.

they know we will destroy their country if they should win.

germany is generally overrated,

they play ridiculous football.

all physics no skills no technique.

90 minutes of running and tackling wont do it.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8985/euro08eo3.jpg

turkey will never loose against germany.

they know we will destroy their country if they should win.

germany is generally overrated,

they play ridiculous football.

all physics no skills no technique.

90 minutes of running and tackling wont do it.

It usually works though, espeically in the major tournaments.