The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Im a Inter fan, bloody hates Juventus, but Del Piero is a pure legend and is not allowed to be hated upon!

Yeah it only took him 7 years to play to an acceptable standard after that injury!

I bet you spend your days watching old Emile Heskey videos on youtube.

Making Emile Heskey compilations, tbh.

Why the hell hasn't anyone been updating the title? Amateurs I tells ya. :razz:

Ribery was good tonight, impressed with him. The Dutch will take some stopping, at no point did they have anything other than a positive attitude towards the game. 1-0 up with half an hour to go, and they still had RvN, VdV, Sneijder, Van Persie and Robben all on the pitch at the same time. Quality stuff, that's what football is all about. Got to say though, the French keeper had a f***ing mare.

Agreed france keeper looked crap... hopefully spuds get him :lol:

Some of the passing by the Dutch in the final third was absolutely tremendous at times, inter-linking triangular passing at it's best, had the frogs running round like headless chickens.

van Basten has had critics leading up to this tournament but it looks like he might have got it about right just in time, best team by miles so far!!! And can I just mention Boularhouz....fucking fantastic so far!! How the hell has he been so poor for Chelski since he's been there??!!?

i really hope that the dutch now rest their main players and roll over against Romania, even though they've been great in the 1st two games i think they'll come to regret not knocking out the 2 teams, even letting Romania win the game they're still guaranteed top spot.  Just got a feeling that if they beat romania and whoever wins the France Italy game will sneak thru and beat the Dutch in the semi final!!!

what happens if holland wins 3-0, and italy and france tie 0-0 (all possible)? 3 way tie at the bottom, tied on GD, Goals scored and goals allowed, and all 3 tied each other. hope that happens, just to see pure insanity.

It goes to UEFA co-efficients, I think with Italy at no. 3 and France at no 4.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2008.html

These rankings are based on club success in Europe, so England are top.

However, if the two teams in question are playing each other in the last game (as they would be with Italy vs France), the game goes to extra time, then penalties.

Class goal from T, shows he's still got something.

Missed (by miles) an easier chance to make it 1-1 though.

True, but that goal just screamed Henry, not many would have tried being so delicate and he's one of a few who could have pulled it off. He was unlucky when it hit someones arm as well. Should have had a hat trick.

Class goal from T, shows he's still got something.

Missed (by miles) an easier chance to make it 1-1 though.

True, but that goal just screamed Henry, not many would have tried being so delicate and he's one of a few who could have pulled it off. He was unlucky when it hit someones arm as well. Should have had a hat trick.

It was a great finish, don't get me wrong.

I just think Wenger has proved his eye and accuracy of judgement yet again with Henry. Not just based on this tournament btw.

Boularhouz is crap. He got bullied by strikers in the Premiership even though he was made out to be some big hard  man on the continent.

Agreed, hence me stating the fact that he's been poor at Chelsea since he's been there....all I'm saying is he's been solid so far in the two games against supposedly two of the world's best teams!!

Boularhouz is crap. He got bullied by strikers in the Premiership even though he was made out to be some big hard  man on the continent.

Agreed, hence me stating the fact that he's been poor at Chelsea since he's been there....all I'm saying is he's been solid so far in the two games against supposedly two of the world's best teams!!

The Premiership isn't the be all and end all of football you know..?

No, but it's better than you.

No, but it's better than you.

That goes without saying..

Don't see what you're getting at?!?!? All I was doing was pointing out that he has looked solid these two games he has played yet he's looked distinctly average at club level!!!!!

Guest kingdawson

This lot will take some stopping. Absolutely sensational.

You think? They'll get found out soon enough if they continuosly rely on their 'soak up pressure then hope we'll nick a goal on a counter' strategy. Dont get me wrong, they've been playing some beautiful football but their back 4 is weak and they've been quite lucky at times (Italy and France both missed countless chances then got caught on the counter). Soon enough, they'll come up against a team that will take there chances.

Don't see what you're getting at?!?!? All I was doing was pointing out that he has looked solid these two games he has played yet he's looked distinctly average at club level!!!!!

See there you go and do it again.. He hasn't looked distinctly average at club level or he would have never been in the Holland squad or with Chelsea in the first place. He may have looked distinctly average at Chelsea in the handful of matches he has played, but that doesn't mean he's crap.. It may come as a surprise to you how well he's capable of playing, but that says more about your knowledge of football outside of the Premiership than it does about Boulahrouz as a player I'm afraid..

Holland in this are like Liverpool in the champions league, both sit back and allow the better teams to come onto them and hit them on the break, which they do well. When they come up against a team who doesn't try to go forward early on I think they'll struggle. I think if they were to play Croatia it would be a tight game as they both play the same way, sit quite deep but try to close the ball down in all areas.

Holland in this are like Liverpool in the champions league, both sit back and allow the better teams to come onto them and hit them on the break, which they do well. When they come up against a team who doesn't try to go forward early on I think they'll struggle. I think if they were to play Croatia it would be a tight game as they both play the same way, sit quite deep but try to close the ball down in all areas.

We will see. I think this has just been the approach these two games and also partly due to the fact they took an early lead in both games. It's not Holland's natural game to sit back, soak up pressure and hit teams on the break, far from it. They are more than capable of dominating a game as well. It will be interesting to see how the fare when the opposition scores the first goal..

We will see. I think this has just been the approach these two games and also partly due to the fact they took an early lead in both games. It's not Holland's natural game to sit back, soak up pressure and hit teams on the break, far from it. They are more than capable of dominating a game as well. It will be interesting to see how the fare when the opposition scores the first goal..

agree that it is a result of scoring first. their defence is a bit porous, but they only conceded once against strike forces with Toni and Henry amongst others, and i don't think there's many more out there with significantly better. portugal for instance have nuno gomes up front, croatia the likes of olic. they're not in the same class.