The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Holland in this are like Liverpool in the champions league, both sit back and allow the better teams to come onto them and hit them on the break, which they do well. When they come up against a team who doesn't try to go forward early on I think they'll struggle. I think if they were to play Croatia it would be a tight game as they both play the same way, sit quite deep but try to close the ball down in all areas.

Wash your mouth out with soap and water. ;)

I don't see how any team willing to put five out-and-out attacking players in midfield/up front at once can be accused of playing like Liverpool. In terms of personnel, they were incredibly attacking tonight.

Guest kingdawson

Holland in this are like Liverpool in the champions league, both sit back and allow the better teams to come onto them and hit them on the break, which they do well. When they come up against a team who doesn't try to go forward early on I think they'll struggle. I think if they were to play Croatia it would be a tight game as they both play the same way, sit quite deep but try to close the ball down in all areas.

We will see. I think this has just been the approach these two games and also partly due to the fact they took an early lead in both games. It's not Holland's natural game to sit back, soak up pressure and hit teams on the break, far from it. They are more than capable of dominating a game as well. It will be interesting to see how the fare when the opposition scores the first goal..

agree that it is a result of scoring first. their defence is a bit porous, but they only conceded once against strike forces with Toni and Henry amongst others, and i don't think there's many more out there with significantly better. portugal for instance have nuno gomes up front, croatia the likes of olic. they're not in the same class.

That was mostly down to luck though...

How many time did the Italians and French cut through the Dutch defence? It was almost at will. A mixture of poor finishing and good goalkeeping kept them out. The Romanians kept Italy and France at bay, much more than the dutch did.

We will see. I think this has just been the approach these two games and also partly due to the fact they took an early lead in both games. It's not Holland's natural game to sit back, soak up pressure and hit teams on the break, far from it. They are more than capable of dominating a game as well. It will be interesting to see how the fare when the opposition scores the first goal..

agree that it is a result of scoring first. their defence is a bit porous, but they only conceded once against strike forces with Toni and Henry amongst others, and i don't think there's many more out there with significantly better. portugal for instance have nuno gomes up front, croatia the likes of olic. they're not in the same class.

That was mostly down to luck though...

How many time did the Italians and French cut through the Dutch defence? It was almost at will. A mixture of poor finishing and good goalkeeping kept them out. The Romanians kept Italy and France at bay, much more than the dutch did.

that's because romania genuinely play defensively, trying to keep the ball & slow the game down, and only breaking when they think italy have committed too many men forward. holland attack with every chance they get, and do it with skill and flair. yes they sit back off the ball but any side a goal or two up would do the same, and they only have the lead in the first place because they went for it and pissed on the opposition.

I don't see how any team willing to put five out-and-out attacking players in midfield/up front at once can be accused of playing like Liverpool. In terms of personnel, they were incredibly attacking tonight.

Yep.  I thought Van Basten was reckless to sub on Arjen Robben & Van Persie with a lead, but it worked well for them.  They have been the most positive side of the tournament so far, including Portugal.

This lot will take some stopping. Absolutely sensational.

You think? They'll get found out soon enough if they continuosly rely on their 'soak up pressure then hope we'll nick a goal on a counter' strategy. Dont get me wrong, they've been playing some beautiful football but their back 4 is weak and they've been quite lucky at times (Italy and France both missed countless chances then got caught on the counter). Soon enough, they'll come up against a team that will take there chances.

or a team that can run

said to my mate just after it happened, considering the circumstances, henry's attempted lob was the stupidest, most arrogant attempt at a finish i've ever seen

Not really. Henry of old would've pulled that off no problems.

ok, so shouldnt he be intelligent enough to know that he's out of form? and when presented with a chance that means THAT much to his team, take the safer option and either side foot it or lace it along the ground to the keepers right? rather than going for a wonder goal?

self centred arrogance, imo.

Yep.  I thought Van Basten was reckless to sub on Arjen Robben & Van Persie with a lead, but it worked well for them.  They have been the most positive side of the tournament so far, including Portugal.

Ditto! i was thinking the same it was reckless act... but it goes other ways. the reason we did not see holland look like dominating match is because they did not play possession football ala barca etc. which playing the ball circling through midfield. Holland simply playing "instant kill" football

Guest Brummiemag

i really hope that the dutch now rest their main players and roll over against Romania

Somebody's got money on Spain then  :lol:

The dutch will rest players and they will be happy to lose the game. They would rather face Romania in the semi final than France or Italy, which is why Romania are odds on to win the game!!

i really hope that the dutch now rest their main players and roll over against Romania

The dutch will rest players and they will be happy to lose the game. They would rather face Romania in the semi final than France or Italy, which is why Romania are odds on to win the game!!

I can't see it myself. Players will be rested, but their replacements will not roll over, they will try to battle their way into the team and when you look at the quality of some of them there are some match winners there as well (Huntelaar, Robben, Van Persie, Affelay). What's more, Romania may well be a stronger side than France and Italy in Van Basten's view; they beat and drew to Holland in the qualifying stages for this tournament. I think Holland will play for the win. If Romania manage to take a lead Holland will not go all the way to win the match the way they would have to in the knockout stages, so that may be in the advantage of Romania. I therefore expect Romania to come out all guns blazing and it will be interesting to see how a second string Holland team will cope with that.

Tbh, I think Romania are a dangerous opponent for Holland if they play like they have done so far. They're not terribly adventurous and Holland probably won't have many chances to counter as they had against France and Italy. If anything, it's the Dutch who could get caught on the hop.

Tbh, I think Romania are a dangerous opponent for Holland if they play like they have done so far. They're not terribly adventurous and Holland probably won't have many chances to counter as they had against France and Italy. If anything, it's the Dutch who could get caught on the hop.

Past experience in major tournaments would back that up. The Dutch always crumble.

Bang on the money.

People are going on as if it's Holland's decision whether they win, lose or draw against Romania.  It doesn't work like that.

I know but Spain are on the same side of the draw as France and Italy.  I've got money each way on Spain and i'd be happy enough if they could avoid France and Italy.

Spain v Holland would be the game of the tournament though.  I really hope it happens.