Chris Mort's departure confirmed. Derek Llambias is new Managing Director.

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He got one appointment right out of five.

Given that it's the one of the most important decisions a chairman can make, that's one piss-poor record.

so you think that a manager with 4 league titles under his belt, with 2 different clubs, a couple of FA Cups and 3 manager of the year awards, is a poor choice ?

And an up and coming young manager who had won the FA Cup and left a team sitting in the top 3 of the premiership was a poor choice ?

In your imaginary world Ozzie you would by this criteria turn down Wenger and Mourinho I take  it ?

Priceless. As funny as my sig.

That's a fact, dumbo.

So you think that Mourhinho or Wenger would be risky or crap appointments in case they [with hindsight of course] failed ?

Not that reaching 2 FA Cup Finals for the first time in 24 years is a disaster, but we won't go there.

Dumbo.

That's a fact, dumbo.

So you think that Mourhinho or Wenger would be risky or crap appointments in case they [with hindsight of course] failed ?

Not that reaching 2 FA Cup Finals for the first time in 24 years is a disaster, but we won't go there.

Dumbo.

Too much coffee this morning?

Spare us all the deluded ramblings and tatty straw man and attempt to address the facts.

You do know what a fact is, don't you?

Here's a fact: Out of five managerial appointments made by Shepherd, only one was a success.

Twenty percent. Pretty pathetic, eh?

That's a fact, dumbo.

Dumbo.

Spare us all the deluded ramblings and tatty straw man and attempt to address the facts.

Here's a fact: Out of five managerial appointments made by Shepherd, only one was a success.

so who would you have appointed seeing as the records of Dalglish and Gullit, especially Dalglish, wasn't good enough for you ?

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. This is what you thought off Allardyce before he came to us Ozzie

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=38118.msg765469#msg765469

Nearly everyone thought Allardyce was just what we needed at the time (and in the circumstances before the takeover) tbf. Me included, and I've admitted so a number of times.

Same here. 85% of us did according to that thread. 75% of us thought appointing Roeder after he had got us into Europe was the right decision. My point isn´t that these have turned out to be great appointments, just that they weren´t `wrong` when they happened, they just turned out to be.. In my opinion with the way Shepherd was willing to spend on players more than our competition at the time he couldn´t have done much more than he did.

Oh, and I was referring to Ozzie and NE5´s discussion above..

That's a fact, dumbo.

Dumbo.

so who would you have appointed seeing as the records of Dalglish and Gullit, especially Dalglish, wasn't good enough for you ?

Spot on. The only appointments he made which was questionable at the time was Souness and Roeder...and even with Roeder a fair few were behind it after how he did at the end of the 05-06 season. Can't remember anybody complaining at Gullit, Dalglish, or even Allardyce on appointment.

I wasn't wowed by Allardyce, but it didn't seem like a bad one given our situation. I was disillusioned by Souness still at this point though.  :laugh:

I thought that Dalglish was a good appointment and I wasn't against Gullit when he came. Both had good records etc.

At the time they both seemed good ones to me, in hindsight they weren't the best but as NE5 said, a few FA cup finals isn't all that bad. I'd take that now.

I think most people were of the opinion that Allardyce was a good appointment if the club had to stick to it's British only policy in terms of hiring a manager.

The only appointment that really infuriated me was Souness. How on earth any one on our board thought he would be a good manager with his track record of destroying clubs, being sacked, past disgruntled players speaking out against his methods, shitty league finishes and who was about to be sacked by his current club because he was leading them into a relegation scrap that season is beyond me.

It was the most important decision that he got wrong and I think that's what people remember about Freddie Shepherd more than anything.

Wasnt overly pleased with Allardyce - was content withhim knowing his previous record but i always thought that Sven would of been a better appointment as he was available and was a proven manager and definitely World Class in my opinion also one who definitely had the ability to get usinto the top4.

Was unhappy with Sheperds single mindedness in his pursit for Allardyce and his obvious unwillingness to do a throrough search throughtout Europe.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. This is what you thought off Allardyce before he came to us Ozzie

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=38118.msg765469#msg765469

Nearly everyone thought Allardyce was just what we needed at the time (and in the circumstances before the takeover) tbf. Me included, and I've admitted so a number of times.

Same here. 85% of us did according to that thread. 75% of us thought appointing Roeder after he had got us into Europe was the right decision. My point isn´t that these have turned out to be great appointments, just that they weren´t `wrong` when they happened, they just turned out to be.. In my opinion with the way Shepherd was willing to spend on players more than our competition at the time he couldn´t have done much more than he did.

Just noticed all this bollocks.

Neither my mistaken opinion about Allardyce, nor anybody's else's opinion about Allardyce, mistaken or not, changes the FACT that it turned out to be a bad decision.

You lot twitter on disdainfully about "hindsight".

Me, I'm looking for some fucking foresight from the people who are paid handsomely to run our club.

Oh, and my first thought on reading that Dalglish had been replaced by Gullit was, "well, that's pretty dumb, sacking KD a few games into the season after giving him (iirc) £15 million for new players.'

Just noticed all this bollocks.

Neither my mistaken opinion about Allardyce, nor anybody's else's opinion about Allardyce, mistaken or not, changes the FACT that it turned out to be a bad decision.

You lot twitter on disdainfully about "hindsight".

Me, I'm looking for some fucking foresight from the people who are paid handsomely to run our club.

Oh, and my first thought on reading that Dalglish had been replaced by Gullit was, "well, that's pretty dumb, sacking KD a few games into the season after giving him (iirc) £15 million for new players.'

unfortunately Ozzie lad, those pesky other clubs we are in competition with also pay people handsomely to exercise this "foresight". But we know you don't do reality.

Quite the daftest thing you've ever said, apart from my sig and when you thought your idol Arsprilla had a great season when he scored 2 league goals.

They obviously didn't pay you when you exercised your foresight re Allardyce  bluelaugh.gif

Do you know this saturdays lottery numbers ?

mackems.gif mackems.gif

Ref your last comment, did you also think "how dumb was sacking Gullit only a few games into the season after giving him a lot of money to spend on new players " .

i wonder what would happen if you contrasted those figures with the question "would you like souness/roeder as the manager "before they actually got their jobs or could those figure reflect fans backing the new manager...regardless of who (or how bad) he is ?