Why not take a gamble on some South Americans?

Zero

The players we are targetting are mostly European players will good prospects which I do pleased to have as they are the ones that could bring us back to the UEFA spot.

However now seems like they will all cost us a great deal of money---10m is a minimum for each player. And they aren't really interested in joining us.

Why not take a few gamble on Brazilians and Argentinians? Their rising stars usually just cost 4-5m each.

For positions like right winger, even they don't have massive strength they can still offer a lot, just like how we snapped up Solano from Boca. Neri Cardozo anyone?

Keegan has already said he wont buy players direct from the South American leagues unfortunately but I agree with you. There are some hidden gems out there but the main issue is the  work permits unless you happen to be a Man Utd or Chelsea (who seem to be able to bend the rules like Man U did with Tim Howard who had few caps for USA but miraculously got a permit while Spurs were turned down for Bobby Convey that same season).......... Apparently clubs can buy `a player of outstanding talent` to get around the rule as Man U did with Anderson,Rodrigo Possebon and 2 others. Chelsea did with Nigerian John Obi Mikel, Arsenal with Denilson etc)

But a lot of the players have European passports, in particular the Argentines. even our Solano had a greek one (tempoarily :lol: )........

I think of all the South American countries the Argentines in theory should be best suited to the EPL because their climate can be like ours and they`re used to the more physical side of the game. Some people of course will bring up the likes of Bassedas and Cordone but they were hardly top class in the first place in their native countries (the latter was brought in on loan). Tevez, Mascherano, Crespo ,D`allesandro and Arca have done well here but there haven`t been many to make a fair judgement.

I`d like to see a Zarate or a D`allesandro (the latter has an Italian passport and can leave for next to nowt especially as Zaragoza have been relegated and he`s out of favour. He`s been playing great for San Lorenzo).

In the Brazilian league that Marcelo Moreno has been getting rave reviews. 43 goals in 68 games and 2 in 4 for the national side and he`s Berbatov esque IMO and I think would do well here

But as the work permit is such an issue all the best South American talent will continue to go to Italy, Spain and even Germany. On top of that coaches here have the mentality that South Americans wont fit in here and don`t take a chance.  Wigan did and reaped the benefits with  Valencia and Palacios who they bought  for peanuts and could sell for a combined 15m plus reportedly now (I`d have them both here too)

IMO South American players are no more of a `gamble` than eastern europeans and even spaniards/italians

Not just the work permit situation, there's also the question of ownership (see Tevez and Mascherano) on a lot of players in south america which might scare clubs off.

Agree that there's some top talent out there though.

Guest Gh0StFaC3

This kind of blanket statement is old & boring.

Yes, there are some "hidden gems" in South America... but there are also some crap players with big reputations that aren't worth the pain!

Even if you do find a player with a lot of talent who hasn't already been tapped up by another European club, you have to deal with the language/culture/climate issues... not to mention the very different playing style of the EPL as opposed to many of the South American leagues.

As mentioned above, you also have the road-block of work permits to deal with.

I think we should have scouts over there keeping an eye on things, but it's just not a case of strolling into town & walking down the bargain bin aisle of tesco's for the latest 'Santiago Munez'

This kind of blanket statement is old & boring.

Yes, there are some "hidden gems" in South America... but there are also some crap players with big reputations that aren't worth the pain!

Even if you do find a player with a lot of talent who hasn't already been tapped up by another European club, you have to deal with the language/culture/climate issues... not to mention the very different playing style of the EPL as opposed to many of the South American leagues.

As mentioned above, you also have the road-block of work permits to deal with.

I think we should have scouts over there keeping an eye on things, but it's just not a case of strolling into town & walking down the bargain bin aisle of tesco's for the latest 'Santiago Munez'

Thats just a lot of Bullshite...  If u buy from any other league who doesnt speak english you have to deal with "the language/culture/climate issues..."  "different playing style of the EPL as opposed to many of the South American leagues." So can be said about the rest of the leagues too, even the SPL. Look at boomsong, he wasnt up for the pace and strenght of the EPL. Luque was shite too, Enrique didnt know the language, and so on.

From your comment here, we should only buy overated players from the Premier League.  And yes there are some "hidden gems" in the rest off the leagues as well, and many of them are OVERATED.  There is always a risk when you sign a player, will he fit in etc. But that is up to our scouts and the manager to find out. And our scouting team is supposed to be world class now, so we should be abble to spot who is hot and who is not. To find the next Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona etc we have to scout the entire world.

And to the work permit thingy, I think it goes by how many games they have played for there national team or something like that. But Liverpool strugled to get work permit on Mark Gonzales, Arsenal strugled to get on Carlos Vela, and they both loaned out the players till they had enough games to get a work permit, why dont we do the same? The players are young and would most likely be in our reserve side anyways, so why dont let the get games for other clubs in other leagues instead...

"Chelsea did with Nigerian John Obi Mikel"

Man Utd got the work permit for John Obi Mikel, and Chelsea bought JOB from them. He was in Man Utd a day or something. Chelsea bought him for 12M pound, and Lyn got almost half of it.

Keegan has already said he wont buy players direct from the South American leagues unfortunately but I agree with you. There are some hidden gems out there but the main issue is the  work permits unless you happen to be a Man Utd or Chelsea (who seem to be able to bend the rules like Man U did with Tim Howard who had few caps for USA but miraculously got a permit while Spurs were turned down for Bobby Convey that same season).......... Apparently clubs can buy `a player of outstanding talent` to get around the rule as Man U did with Anderson,Rodrigo Possebon and 2 others. Chelsea did with Nigerian John Obi Mikel, Arsenal with Denilson etc)

But a lot of the players have European passports, in particular the Argentines. even our Solano had a greek one (tempoarily :lol: )........

I think of all the South American countries the Argentines in theory should be best suited to the EPL because their climate can be like ours and they`re used to the more physical side of the game. Some people of course will bring up the likes of Bassedas and Cordone but they were hardly top class in the first place in their native countries (the latter was brought in on loan). Tevez, Mascherano, Crespo ,D`allesandro and Arca have done well here but there haven`t been many to make a fair judgement.

I`d like to see a Zarate or a D`allesandro (the latter has an Italian passport and can leave for next to nowt especially as Zaragoza have been relegated and he`s out of favour. He`s been playing great for San Lorenzo).

In the Brazilian league that Marcelo Moreno has been getting rave reviews. 43 goals in 68 games and 2 in 4 for the national side and he`s Berbatov esque IMO and I think would do well here

But as the work permit is such an issue all the best South American talent will continue to go to Italy, Spain and even Germany. On top of that coaches here have the mentality that South Americans wont fit in here and don`t take a chance.  Wigan did and reaped the benefits with  Valencia and Palacios who they bought  for peanuts and could sell for a combined 15m plus reportedly now (I`d have them both here too)

IMO South American players are no more of a `gamble` than eastern europeans and even spaniards/italians

Moreno Tempted By Spurs Switch

Cruzeiro striker Marcelo Moreno has admitted he is flattered by interest from Tottenham Hotspur…

The Bolivian ace starred in the Copa Libertadores, firing eight goals in 10 games prior to Cruzeiro’s exit at the hands of Argentine giants Boca Juniors.

Manchester United have targeted the 20-year-old as a possible replacement for French striker Louis Saha, who faces the axe this summer after an injury-ravaged career at Old Trafford.

But Tottenham are the only club to have made a solid offer so far, as they seek attacking reinforcements given likely departures of Barcelona target Dimitar Berbatov and ₤16 million flop Darren Bent.

Spurs’ initial €6 million bid was rejected last week, and Cruzeiro chairman Alvimar Perrella urged them to return with a new offer, insisting the club are willing to sell for the right price.

Moreno has confessed he is tempted by the prospect of a move to North London, and said: "I was told about the offer made by Tottenham.

"Of course I would like to play in England. But as I said before, I have to like the place where I will be.

"The club has to get to an agreement with my agent and from what I know what has been offered wasn't enough."

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=704354

Cruzeiro striker Marcelo Moreno has admitted he is flattered by interest from Tottenham Hotspur…

The Bolivian ace starred in the Copa Libertadores, firing eight goals in 10 games prior to Cruzeiro’s exit at the hands of Argentine giants Boca Juniors.

Manchester United have targeted the 20-year-old as a possible replacement for French striker Louis Saha, who faces the axe this summer after an injury-ravaged career at Old Trafford.

But Tottenham are the only club to have made a solid offer so far, as they seek attacking reinforcements given likely departures of Barcelona target Dimitar Berbatov and ₤16 million flop Darren Bent.

Spurs’ initial €6 million bid was rejected last week, and Cruzeiro chairman Alvimar Perrella urged them to return with a new offer, insisting the club are willing to sell for the right price.

Moreno has confessed he is tempted by the prospect of a move to North London, and said: "I was told about the offer made by Tottenham.

"Of course I would like to play in England. But as I said before, I have to like the place where I will be.

"The club has to get to an agreement with my agent and from what I know what has been offered wasn't enough."

Don't give a shit.

Okay?

People talk a lot about South Americans and the adjustment issues, but honestly I'm not sure anyone else adjusts as well as they do and they go to all sorts of different countries in Europe and do well. Argentinians and Brazilians in particular are littered all over the place and are doing so well.

Guest sondre

But Tottenham are the only club to have made a solid offer so far, as they seek attacking reinforcements given likely departures of Barcelona target Dimitar Berbatov and ₤16 million flop Darren Bent. Ramos was reportedly going through the Newcastle Utd forums, like he always does when he fancys a new player. Moreno's name came up, and he made an instant offer.

Guest Stephen927

I don't think we should rule out signings players from South America. I don't know a whole lot about the leagues over there, but there has been a lot of good players come out of Brazil and Argentina.

can see the point of the post - if i had anything to do with this new scouting policy we've got going i'd have someone right off to argentina/uruguay/chile/mexico/colombia primarily watching defenders or defensive midfielders

generally speaking they have the physical attributes to succeed in england and are as hard as coffin nails...mascherano and example of having one not the other

can see more the wisdom of being wary with midfielders/attackers as you'd be hard pushed to tell whether they'd cope with the physical aspect, you wouldn't have that concern with most defenders as it's part of their game (brazil excepted perhaps)

Keegan has already said he wont buy players direct from the South American leagues unfortunately but I agree with you. There are some hidden gems out there but the main issue is the work permits unless you happen to be a Man Utd or Chelsea (who seem to be able to bend the rules like Man U did with Tim Howard who had few caps for USA but miraculously got a permit while Spurs were turned down for Bobby Convey that same season).......... Apparently clubs can buy `a player of outstanding talent` to get around the rule as Man U did with Anderson,Rodrigo Possebon and 2 others. Chelsea did with Nigerian John Obi Mikel, Arsenal with Denilson etc)

But as the work permit is such an issue all the best South American talent will continue to go to Italy, Spain and even Germany. On top of that coaches here have the mentality that South Americans wont fit in here and don`t take a chance. Wigan did and reaped the benefits with Valencia and Palacios who they bought for peanuts and could sell for a combined 15m plus reportedly now (I`d have them both here too)

Cruzeiro striker Marcelo Moreno has admitted he is flattered by interest from Tottenham Hotspur

The Bolivian ace starred in the Copa Libertadores, firing eight goals in 10 games prior to Cruzeiros exit at the hands of Argentine giants Boca Juniors.

Spurs initial 6 million bid was rejected last week, and Cruzeiro chairman Alvimar Perrella urged them to return with a new offer, insisting the club are willing to sell for the right price.

Watched a few Cruzeiro games in the Copa America and cant belive Marcelo Moreno has scored so many goals he didnt stand out in the games i watched reminded me alot of Savo Milosevic !!

can see the point of the post - if i had anything to do with this new scouting policy we've got going i'd have someone right off to argentina/uruguay/chile/mexico/colombia primarily watching defenders or defensive midfielders

generally speaking they have the physical attributes to succeed in england and are as hard as coffin nails...mascherano and example of having one not the other

can see more the wisdom of being wary with midfielders/attackers as you'd be hard pushed to tell whether they'd cope with the physical aspect, you wouldn't have that concern with most defenders as it's part of their game (brazil excepted perhaps)

the Brazilian league is very physical, perhaps moreso than the EPL believe it or not. I`ve watched a lot of Brazilian games and some of the fouls and tackles that are committed in that league make the EPL like a ballerina league

If we can buy the very best, like Tevez or Mascherano, then fine. But below that level, a lot of them seem to have trouble making that adjustment to the physicality of the Premiership straight from South American football. The likes of Gavilan and Bassedas have put me off a bit.