Duff to Mackems?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Toon winger takes pay cut to join Sunderland NOTW

DUFF'S TOP CAT

DAMIEN DUFF will get a chance to become Sunderland's highest-ever paid player, even though it means taking a £10,000-a-week wage cut.

Newcastle outcast Duff tops Roy Keane's summer hit-list as the ambitious Black Cats boss looks to splash a £50million transfer kitty.

Toon will off-load winger Duff, 29, for £5m to ease a staggering £10m wage bill.

And Sunderland will smash their wage structure to offer a club record £60,000-a-week still £10,000 short of Duff's St James' Park take.

On the whole I wouldnt be disappointed to see him go as I have always felt Duff was a bit of a "badge-kisser"

What worries me though is that this is yet another story about another player leaving... the squad si becoming worryingly thin. I hope to god some stories of actual signings start appearing soon.

Guest WalkervilleMag

He is a waste of space, always injured, would be very happy for us to offload him for £5 million.

We do need to reduce the wage bill, as it is astronomical the amount of money we are shelling out, and we are not even in Europe. We need to get rid of a few more, who are only here for the gravy train.

Guest Stephen927

Good. Been here for a while, and when he has played he has looked a shadow of his former self. Looks scared to take a full back on these days.

£5m for him would be very good business all things considered. And another £60,000 a week or so off the wage bill. Good good.

I said a while back "Sunderland in £10m double swoop for Duff and Smith" would be my dream football headline. It is tantalisingly close to becoming reality. Now we just need the mad Irishman to bizzarely decide his former Reds team mate is an unpolished diamond.

Go for it Keano. Smith's your man  :pow:

As others have said. Allegedly £70k off the wage bill, £50k off with Emre going and £60k if we can get rid of Smith.

If reported wages are true, that's £180k PER MONTH we're saving, or just over £2m per year. Given the contributions of the above trio, that's money that could be much better spent elsewhere.

Mind that said, setting fire to it in the centre circle on match day would be better use than giving it to those 3.

I'd be delighted, I think his legs are gone, certainly doesn't have the pace needed.  My only reservation is while I agree with getting rid of the dead wood (maybe a little OTT with regards to Duff) is how many we actually sign in the summer and does our squad become thread bare?

Guest elbee909

Will be worried about the squad size when we get nearer the end of the window.  Dead wood out please.  We need to offer decent wages in our position and we can't do that easily when we've got wastrels sitting on big contracts.

What worries me though is that this is yet another story about another player leaving... the squad is becoming worryingly thin. I hope to god some stories of actual signings start appearing soon.

I agree with what you're saying. I'm all for getting rid of the likes of Smith, Duff, Emre, etc. but I'd like to have seen the replacements come in first. Let's just hope the club has their replacements lined up. Having said that I don't think the squad would be weakened by selling Smith. Anyone could replace him and do a better job.

Getting rid of Duff would be great. He is no threat to the opposition on the pitch. I think Kazenga LuaLua would do a better job. N'Zogbia may be happier to stay if Duff goes.

If we sell Duff to Sunderland for £5 million it would confirm my belief that we have Derren Brown doing our fee negotiating with the other clubs (£8m for Emre). It should speak volumes of what Newcastle think of Duff if they are willing to sell him to Sunderland.

didn't duff say when he joined us that he becomes a fan of whoever he plays fro and couldnt join a rivaL? hence he turned spuds down as he couldnt move there from chelsea?

could be a stumbling block, unless he's full of shite like

maths check please - those wages are per week - £9m pa

Yep, you're quite right. That's what happens when you try to work things out in your head at 10am with a hangover!

£9.4m / year.  Ridiculous.

Anyone see pictures of his house up for sale? In one of the rooms he has signed Keane and Quinn shirts so hopefully he fancies a move

It was mentioned that he had bought land to build a house on which is why his house was for sale.

If he went to Sunderland he could still live near Newcastle. Quite a few Sunderland players live in or around Newcastle.

What worries me though is that this is yet another story about another player leaving... the squad is becoming worryingly thin. I hope to god some stories of actual signings start appearing soon.

I agree with what you're saying. I'm all for getting rid of the likes of Smith, Duff, Emre, etc. but I'd like to have seen the replacements come in first. Let's just hope the club has their replacements lined up. Having said that I don't think the squad would be weakened by selling Smith. Anyone could replace him and do a better job.

Getting rid of Duff would be great. He is no threat to the opposition on the pitch. I think Kazenga LuaLua would do a better job. N'Zogbia may be happier to stay if Duff goes.

If we sell Duff to Sunderland for £5 million it would confirm my belief that we have Derren Brown doing our fee negotiating with the other clubs (£8m for Emre). It should speak volumes of what Newcastle think of Duff if they are willing to sell him to Sunderland.

I agree with you that we should get replacements before we sell players. But Duff had 16 games for us, and Emre had 14, they can hardly be called players imo. So i think its great business to get rid of these two as soon as posible, and then get a replacement for them. If we were to sell for example zoggy, then i think we should get a replacement before we sell. If Emre and Duff goes, will their personal nufc physios go with them?

didn't duff say when he joined us that he becomes a fan of whoever he plays fro and couldnt join a rivaL? hence he turned spuds down as he couldnt move there from chelsea?

could be a stumbling block, unless he's full of shite like

Duff also has an executive box at Newcastle. Let's hope it's not a problem though. In his case I'm quite happy to sell BEFORE a replacement is lined up.

could be a stumbling block, unless he's full of s**** like

Duff also has an executive box at Newcastle. Let's hope it's not a problem though. In his case I'm quite happy to sell BEFORE a replacement is lined up.

why would he need an executive box when hes Supposedly on the pitch playing?

could be a stumbling block, unless he's full of s**** like

why would he need an executive box when hes Supposedly on the pitch playing?

I think you answered your own question.