Nuri Sahin

Willow

http://nufcblog.com/2008/06/03/transfer-news/newcastle-linked-with-turkish-whiz-kid/

Newcastle United are said to be tracking Turkish International Nurin Sahin.

Sahin was born in Lüdenscheid, West Germany and he is currently under contract with Borussia Dortmund, but last season was on loan to Feyenoord.

He is a midfielder and can play in either an attacking or defensive role, and has already played 11 times for Turkey, even though he is just 19 years old.

The source is pretty non-existent but he looks a very tricky player and very young one too, one for the future?

Feyenoord is my club in Holland so I know him fairly well. Good little player, left footed and a very good technique. Still young, but very good potential. Would be an astute buy and I think he would be available at a fairly good price because Dortmund don't seem to rate him that highly (hence the loan to Feyenoord last season). Feyenoord would love to keep him at the club but doesn't have the money.

Feyenoord is my club in Holland so I know him fairly well. Good little player, left footed and a very good technique. Still young, but very good potential. Would be an astute buy and I think he would be available at a fairly good price because Dortmund don't seem to rate him that highly (hence the loan to Feyenoord last season). Feyenoord would love to keep him at the club but doesn't have the money.

mmm.... i ve just watch him few games back... not very little again i suppose... but not as good as before

Well I think he is at least a better option than Turan.

He's probably stagnated a bit, but he is young enough to bounce back for sure. Aslo very experienced for his age and has been in europe all his career so will be well adjusted. Will also be cheaper than Turan.

He's not lived up to the potential and was mediocre in the Eredivisie.  No.

How has he not lived up to his potential exactly? He has been one of Feyenoord's better players at 19 and Feyenoord would loved to have kept him on.

How has he not lived up to his potential exactly? He has been one of Feyenoord's better players at 19 and Feyenoord would loved to have kept him on.

Out of interest ... what role did he play for Feyenoord?

He seems to be quite versatile as I understand he can play as an attacking midfielder as well as a defensive midfielder, which would be great for our 4-3-3 setup.

What formation did Feyenoord play this last season and what position did Sahin fill in their formation?

Guest Heneage

Not lived up to the potential - he's only 19 man.  Get a grip

Yes but if you would stop trying to be smart arses, you'd know that the club thought he would be pushing for a first team slot these days, not on loan at Feyernood. He had alot of average games at De Kuip, and if you lot would put down FM and watch games.

He was better in attacking for Feyernood as he would venture forward, and occasionally nick a goal. Good finish on him. But I'd imagine Dortmund would want stupid money due to his "Potential". It wouldn't suprise me if he had a you tube video. But I promise you quote me in sigs if you want, Nuri Sahin will not be a world beater he will be distinctly average. You have to rememeber he was discovered at 16, so he's had 3 years in the game. There's better cheaper options.

Not lived up to the potential - he's only 19 man.  Get a grip

Yes but if you would stop trying to be smart arses, you'd know that the club thought he would be pushing for a first team slot these days, not on loan at Feyernood. He had alot of average games at De Kuip, and if you lot would put down FM and watch games.

He was better in attacking for Feyernood as he would venture forward, and occasionally nick a goal. Good finish on him. But I'd imagine Dortmund would want stupid money due to his "Potential". It wouldn't suprise me if he had a you tube video. But I promise you quote me in sigs if you want, Nuri Sahin will not be a world beater he will be distinctly average. You have to rememeber he was discovered at 16, so he's had 3 years in the game. There's better cheaper options.

What a load of claptrap.

A 19 year old has the same amount of potential regardless of whether they were discovered at 16 or 19.

Guest Heneage

I totally agree, I wasn't stating fact I stated my opinion I don't want him, thats the idea of a forum. I don't want him as to date he hasn't lived up to his billed potential, IMO which is the key element of that sentence, that he won't. Plus Dortmund will want upwards of €10m

I remember the likes of Franck Ribery and Mikel Arteta not living upto their potential and drifting between clubs, but you'd have no chance of getting them now.

Our scouts would have a considerably better idea than any of us as to how good a player could be for us in the future and then sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith on these kind of things and hope they turn out for the best.

Guest Heneage

Yeah totally agree, I could be wrong. But it would be bad idea to buy him and expect him to start hes in that horrible niche "too big for Academy Reserve football" not quite goodenough    for first team.

Zog:He was orginally a defensive midfielder, but then he sort of becamea Parker esq player like box to box doing both. I'd say he's better attacking.

Heneage ...

The thing is though, the player certainly has ability but Dortmund didn't quite give him the opportunities, especially as they bought a bunch of established players last summer.

In a way it's similar to Bentley's situation. Not enough opportunities at Arsenal, goes to a not very good team in Norwich and does okayish, but then gets a chance at a decent team at Blackburn and hey presto!

So isn't it possible Sahin having not got enough opportunities at Dortmund, and having done okayisj at an average team like Feyenoord could then flourish at Newcastle?

The guy is only 19 years old. He would be well worth it and if not the Turkish clubs would always pay good money for him should we need to move him on.

Yeah totally agree, I could be wrong. But it would be bad idea to buy him and expect him to start hes in that horrible niche "too big for Academy Reserve football" not quite goodenough    for first team.

Zog:He was orginally a defensive midfielder, but then he sort of becamea Parker esq player like box to box doing both. I'd say he's better attacking.

Sounds ok, depending if the price is reasonable I'd get him in without a second thought tbh. Might be pushing the boat out a bit here but I think he could prove to be a shrewder buy than Modric ever would have been  - would come at about half the price, younger, and is arguably more experienced having played in the Bundesliga and Eredivisie and therefore could be less of a risk regarding transition to the Premiership. Anything in excess of £10 million is too steep though imo.

Out of interest ... what role did he play for Feyenoord?

He seems to be quite versatile as I understand he can play as an attacking midfielder as well as a defensive midfielder, which would be great for our 4-3-3 setup.

What formation did Feyenoord play this last season and what position did Sahin fill in their formation?

He did play left side of midfield in a 4-3-3. He's quite technical and a bit lightweigth and obviously is not the finished product yet, but I think he shows enough promise to be a good acquisition for us if the price is right.

Edit: the fees you're talking about are way too high. I think we could get him for under 5 million easily.