Were we unstable?

Dave

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/7431155.stm

Hughes' former Wales team-mate Dean Saunders feels he may be better off staying at Ewood Park.

Hughes succeeded Graeme Souness and assistant Saunders at Blackburn in September 2004 when the pair moved to Newcastle.

Saunders said: "Man City will not be run like Blackburn and Sparky will realise that if he goes there."

"I had a shock going to Newcastle. Graeme took a risk going there but you don't realise how well Blackburn is run until you've left.

"Mark has done well and taken the club into Europe a couple of times by finishing seventh twice.

"But that is because of how it's run and because the chairman and the directors are very stable people.

"Mark will have the same problem at Man City that we had at Newcastle and he'll realise it should he get there."

That's what he's implying. Are we any more stable now though?

Guest Stephen927

So many managers in so little time, I would say we were unstable. Our team was/is a mix-match of players from different managerial stints.

Financially, we had huge debts and towards the end of Shepherd's reign at the top could have went under. Now, we have virtually no debt, we're lowering the wage bill and have got a canny scouting network set up.

We have a way to go to be stable on the field, the past couple of seasons we've battled against relegation to different degrees.

Looks to me like he means that our fans, expectations and chairman are a lot harder to deal with, for one reason or another.

Blackburn is an easier job than Newcastle or City, no doubt. Expectations aren't high, big money isn't dished out therefore vast improvements on the pitch aren't demanded to the same extent.

But if Hughes has real ambition he'll take the City job IMO, because he knows that there's more he can do at City than he ever could at Blackburn. It'll be harder, for sure, but he'll believe he can do it, as any manager worth his balls would.

In all honesty, my friends and myself all thinks that Graeme Souness is one of the worst managers in Football. Did he not bring Liverpool and subsequent clubs he managed down? As for Rangers (or was it Celtic?), who would not succeed with managing those teams in the Scottish League? I was devastated when he was announced as our manager a few years back. It just reeked of impending doom.

As for our club being stable... mmmm I think that we changed managers too frequently, hence stability was at an issue in the past. Currently, it is really too short a period to judge. I like how Ashley and Mort handled club matters though. To be fair, we are a big club with a big stadium and the fans certainly deserves better. However, we are in decline for a while and we all need a bit of patience for the results to come to fruition. It takes a while judging at the cautious manner in which cash is going to be spent from now on.

Bottom line - We were a unstable club in the past. Now, we have the foundations right for a stable club but it is too short a period to judge.

Guest shearer_206

I don't like to comment on the Souness/Fat Fred era anymore. I get to depressed!  :weep:

The following is how most outsiders would perceive our recent fortunes:

A reputation of instability emerged 2003/04, first with the personalities of some of our players, fans starting to boo them despite relative success and then the chairman completely botching up the way the club dealt with Robson inevitably becoming too old for the job.

We then had the new manager falling out with players left right centre, while some of our players started fighting each other and threatening each other via text message.

Panicing chairman makes more mistakes with his appointments, and tries throwing money he doesn't have at non cost effective solutions.

Ashley and Mort come in, quickly realise that the latest appointment was a mistake and act decisively, but to those on the outside it is getting silly now. To top things off, we appoint  a dinosaur as manager and immediately seek to undermine him. :rolleyes: Meanwhile a player has a go at booing fans before proceeding to get himself arrested.

Bentley recently said that he wouldn't want to be at an unstable club like Newcastle. I'm sure others feel the same (and before NE5 says he wouldn'tsign these players as they don't have ambition, I must point out that they genuinely believe that they can achieve greater things in a stable environment). The reputation will remain for a while while we try to sort things out, and even being decisive can look bad to outsiders right now, and may yet cause us problems.

Second reply and we're away. :lol:

Was this thread an attempt to take Crumpy's title in next year's awards?

:laugh:

It was a genuine thread tbh, to highlight Saunders' comments and ask if we're any different these days. Because as I said before, the rumours would suggest we're still just as volatile as we've been for a while.

indeed

who's going to get the blame for this one

now, if it were TRUE I could understand it.

Edit:

whats the reason for starting this then Dave  :lol:

So many managers in so little time, I would say we were unstable. Our team was/is a mix-match of players from different managerial stints.

Financially, we had huge debts and towards the end of Shepherd's reign at the top could have went under. Now, we have virtually no debt, we're lowering the wage bill and have got a canny scouting network set up.

We have a way to go to be stable on the field, the past couple of seasons we've battled against relegation to different degrees.

bluelaugh.gif

Looks to me like he means that our fans, expectations and chairman are a lot harder to deal with, for one reason or another.

Blackburn is an easier job than Newcastle or City, no doubt. Expectations aren't high, big money isn't dished out therefore vast improvements on the pitch aren't demanded to the same extent.

But if Hughes has real ambition he'll take the City job IMO, because he knows that there's more he can do at City than he ever could at Blackburn. It'll be harder, for sure, but he'll believe he can do it, as any manager worth his balls would.

common sense alert

Think he's correct but he failed to mention how himself and Souness didn't deal with the first-team instability. Business wise it sounds like we were extremely unstable going on what Mort has said.

Things have improved, but I wouldn't say we're stable yet. I'm not yet convinced that the new managerial set up is going to work. Over the years, we've earned ourselves a bad reputation for problems behind the scenes and KK's spat over the top four won't have helped.

Guest Stephen927

bluelaugh.gif

Wanna expand upon that one mate?

I like a good bit debate, but its hard when your just getting people laughing at your points. Have a bit common sense man, if you've got nothing worthwhile to post then don't bother.

Tit.

EDIT: Had on, of course you'll argue how Shepherd was good for this club in comparison to previous boards. Doesn't stop him from leaching off the Geordie publics undying love for Newcastle, funding his brothers ventures from the clubs money. Then spunking large amounts of money on shit.

Of course none of that matters because you've lived to see worse boards.

indeed

who's going to get the blame for this one

now, if it were TRUE I could understand it.

Edit:

whats the reason for starting this then Dave  :lol:

Try post #14.