Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

hark I hear the sound of pennies dropping becoming louder

Shame our soopa doopa scouting system failed to get Modric before anybody had heard of him, and also after people had heard of him.

I expect the irony is lost........

good guess.

From tommorows Sun...

Real Zaragoza’s PABLO AIMAR is convinced he can make a big impact on the Premier League.

Newcastle, in talks with his agents last night, are hoping to finalise a £7m deal for the Argentinian.

Aimar, 28, said: “I do not think I would have a problem adapting to the Premiership.”

Ummm....yeah.

NE5, who thought he was shite & not good enough 24-48 hours ago, will be all over him "turning us down" / us "missing out on him"

Sad very sad, Modric, Ferdinand, Aimar there is some sort of problem with this board they don't act quick enogh to tie up deals.

this. 

Or something is wrong. But you can't say this because if you don't think the sun shines out of Ashleys arse and Fat Freddie did everything wrong, you're a naughty boy.

Something is clearly wrong, the ambition is not there, whatever. Those of us with half a brain have been saying it for ages.

Sad day.

As I read down this thread, I expect to find the majority of people condemning you for calling it like it is ............. ie the bleeding obvious.

:pow:

:lol:

Time will tell on this one.

Maybe he will excel again at Benfica and rediscover the form that he found a few seasons back

Maybe like Man City we managed to miss out on wasting alot of money on wages and a transfer fee for a player that is past his best, has lost motivation and wouldnt adapt to the league.

or maybe we weren't in for him at all!

Nicko was asked how many of his stories turn out to be true. He replied 1 in 20

Thats quite poor.

But honest, well he had no choice really people are starting to notice he talks utter s****..

The entire thing was probably utter shite just as a hurry up to Benfica, we may not have ny bid in for him at all.

Guest johnson293

Just read this in this mornings Times article, which could be quite telling, if true...

Prodded by Newcastle’s intervention, Benfica dispatched Rui Costa, their director of football, to Zaragoza’s training camp a to seal a deal that had faltered in recent days. “I am going to Portugal with my family to start a new adventure,” Aimar said after bidding farewell to his team-mates. “I would like to thank Benfica, who came here and got me.” He has been offered a four-year contract, which he may sign today.

While we seemingly waited for his agent to travel to the UK for talks, Benfica (allegedly) sent their representative to Spain to sort the deal.

Now it could well be we weren't even in for him (and used to push Benfica into closing a deal), or he wasn't a main target, but I'd like to think if we really want to sign particular players, we should be making similar efforts?

Even if it is despatching Wise/Vetere/Jiminez, instead of Keegan.

From tommorows Sun...

Real Zaragoza’s PABLO AIMAR is convinced he can make a big impact on the Premier League.

Newcastle, in talks with his agents last night, are hoping to finalise a £7m deal for the Argentinian.

Aimar, 28, said: “I do not think I would have a problem adapting to the Premiership.”

Ummm....yeah.

That you nicko?? fuck right off if it is 

if it's just nicky, then what the fuck are you doing reading the sun???  :angel:

Guest johnson293

'Nicko' is in his element this morning....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/07/17/newcastle-need-new-signings-following-pablo-aimar-snub-89520-20651601/

Aimar and his agents were unhappy with the cash on offer and, instead, re-opened talks with Benfica ahead of an anticipated signing with the Portuguese giants today.

The news will be a major upset for Keegan, who has been chasing Aimar for months, and it is also an embarrassment for Toon's transfer negotiating team of Dennis Wise, Jeff Vetere and Tony Jimenez.

This 'crack' team were supposed to deliver new faces by the score in this transfer window, but star signing Aimar - originally keen to join - is now likely to be gone from their grasp within hours.

Obviously still narked at some of the comments on the BR board last night!  :rant:  ;D

Guest elbee909

hark I hear the sound of pennies dropping becoming louder

Shame our soopa doopa scouting system failed to get Modric before anybody had heard of him, and also after people had heard of him.

I expect the irony is lost........

Have to have some to begin with, really.

Guest elbee909

As I look out the window this morning and see that there is rain falling, I can only ask myself - how could Ashley and the new board let this happen?  Rain?  My god.  Something is wrong, very wrong, if everything isn't going right from my limited perspective.  Rain, I tell you.

Guest Christian Hayne

From tommorows Sun...

Real Zaragozas PABLO AIMAR is convinced he can make a big impact on the Premier League.

Aimar, 28, said: I do not think I would have a problem adapting to the Premiership.

Ummm....yeah.

Why are the sun reporting this, when every other journalist is reporting him moving to benfica? Did the writer not read anything about his move to benifca?

Something is clearly wrong, the ambition is not there, whatever. Those of us with half a brain have been saying it for ages.

I've been trying to work out what it was that caused you to write with such negativity and prejudice all the time. Thanks for explaining, I'll make allowances now.  :thup:

I've been trying to work out what it was that caused you to write with such negativity and prejudice all the time. Thanks for explaining, I'll make allowances now.  :thup:

Guest elbee909

Has it even been confirmed anywhere that we were after him? No official commets naming us from our club, their club, agent or player.

nope, it was probably all in Nixon's fat head

He probably sits on a night time on the phone to his horrible shithead mate Stretford, planning ways to try and cause us shit.

Guest MaetihS

Feel baffled by some of the criticism at the board. what have they done wrong? they have gone after a player that i thought is too big for us despite his recent form. an ambitious move i say. we used to attract players due to our then-status and more importantly we pay them silly wages. now times are different... even though i want this move to succeed, it is doomed from the start once a club like Benfica comes in. if we are the only one interested, am sure we get him, beats playing in the lower division. Benfica is a much attractive proposition; his ex-coach which is famous and win things b4, much bigger club with history, similar culture and higher chance of winning something. us??? we are now no more than a midtable club, we do not pay big wages now, a so-so manager. Yes, i admit i love MA to be more free with his cash and pay silly wages to attract better players but who to say this is abt wages to Aimar. He just wants to play for a better club. No one is at fault. At least the board tries..... fact is we no longer has the pulling power...my my even that joke Anton Ferdinand rejects us and prefer playing as a back-up at West Ham.