Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

Feel baffled by some of the criticism at the board. what have they done wrong? they have gone after a player that i thought is too big for us despite his recent form. an ambitious move i say. we used to attract players due to our then-status and more importantly we pay them silly wages. now times are different... even though i want this move to succeed, it is doomed from the start once a club like Benfica comes in. if we are the only one interested, am sure we get him, beats playing in the lower division. Benfica is a much attractive proposition; his ex-coach which is famous and win things b4, much bigger club with history, similar culture and higher chance of winning something. us??? we are now no more than a midtable club, we do not pay big wages now, a so-so manager. Yes, i admit i love MA to be more free with his cash and pay silly wages to attract better players but who to say this is abt wages to Aimar. He just wants to play for a better club. No one is at fault. At least the board tries..... fact is we no longer has the pulling power...my my even that joke Anton Ferdinand rejects us and prefer playing as a back-up at West Ham.       

Were we really after him though?

Much more to the point is that we have still not signed a playmaker for our mid-field. This is the mid-field that was over-run more times than I like to think last season. Why are ,at least being reported that, we are after fullbacks when the two most critical positions to be filled first are a striker who holds up the ball and a skilled attacking midfielder ?

Guest MaetihS

shld go for Kapo, Larsson, Steed. very realistic and players that are much better than our current squad.

Feel baffled by some of the criticism at the board. what have they done wrong? they have gone after a player that i thought is too big for us despite his recent form. an ambitious move i say. we used to attract players due to our then-status and more importantly we pay them silly wages. now times are different... even though i want this move to succeed, it is doomed from the start once a club like Benfica comes in. if we are the only one interested, am sure we get him, beats playing in the lower division. Benfica is a much attractive proposition; his ex-coach which is famous and win things b4, much bigger club with history, similar culture and higher chance of winning something. us??? we are now no more than a midtable club, we do not pay big wages now, a so-so manager. Yes, i admit i love MA to be more free with his cash and pay silly wages to attract better players but who to say this is abt wages to Aimar. He just wants to play for a better club. No one is at fault. At least the board tries..... fact is we no longer has the pulling power...my my even that joke Anton Ferdinand rejects us and prefer playing as a back-up at West Ham.        

I'm not sure that Benfica is that more attractive than us. At the moment they are playing second fiddle to Porto and even Sporting Lisbon.

Guest MaetihS

I'm not sure that Benfica is that more attractive than us. At the moment they are playing second fiddle to Porto and even Sporting Lisbon.

still? still much more attractive than us.

shld go for Kapo, Larsson, Steed. very realistic and players that are much better than our current squad.

we've heard that before shithead and you've missed out Bullard and Koumas in your little shortlist there

I don't give a flying fuck how attractive you are...

Guest Adu Who?

Signing for Benfica stinks of "mercenary syndrome". The Portugese league is a nice comfy home for people to retire to on good money. Not quite as mercenary as going to Qatar, but he's certainly bottling coming to a big league, and challenging himself to becoming one of Europe's elite players again. He's under no pressure at Benfica. He could come second in the league and get dicked on in the first stage of the CL and they'd consider it a decent season.

I, for one, would rather know now that he's a mercenary cunt than 6 months down the line when he's doing a Hamann, and demanding a mega-bucks move.

Next, please.

Guest Christian Hayne

can someone help me understand why the sun have printed that we are still close to signing him?

Guest Christian Hayne

can someone help me understand why the sun have printed that we are still close to signing him?

Because the sun dont know s***

ok cheers! :D

Got to love NE5. A couple of nights ago we were lacking ambition for signing Aimar, now we've got no ambition because we didn't sign him. :lol:

:lol: so which is it NE5?

I'm not a fence sitter myself, but it appears you're swinging your views back and forth as it suits. Please clarify if you've got the time. Thanks

Daily Mirror.... 'apalled by our wage offer'

F365..... 'Didn't even speak to Toon officials'

They really know nothing and are going on various hearsay

It is a bit depressing. I strongly believe a lot of what is being said is absolute bullshit, but in the modern era of everything being communicated as fact to all and sundry, it can be doing us no good having hacks constantly write about us being rejected by various players. Footballers aren't exactly notoriously bright and i'm sure they check the odd footie site now and then (if they've all got feckin facebook and bebo, one would think they have managed to master the basics of using a computer). It's kind of like being tried for a crime you didn't commit, it doesn't matter whether you're innocent or guilty, once the Daily Mail get hold of it, you're fucked either way. Hope i'm wrong though.

Got to love NE5. A couple of nights ago we were lacking ambition for signing Aimar, now we've got no ambition because we didn't sign him. :lol:

I'm not a fence sitter myself, but it appears you're swinging your views back and forth as it suits. Please clarify if you've got the time. Thanks

just read his posts and it seems to me he's spot on - the ambition he refers to is to complete deals isn't?  he says something is wrong, ambition or whatever

woodgate, modric, aimar have all been moved for and turned us down to some degree so he's right, something is missing - whether ambition is the right word is neither here nor there

my opinion, however, is that a bid for aimar shouldn't be considered ambitious - we've just lost him to benfica if reports are correct, wasn't so long ago they were picking up our cast offs for nothing...

EDIT: also meant to say in that last part about his career appearing to be on the decline as well, but forgot

just read his posts and it seems to me he's spot on - the ambition he refers to is to complete deals isn't?  he says something is wrong, ambition or whatever

woodgate, modric, aimar have all been moved for and turned us down to some degree so he's right, something is missing - whether ambition is the right word is neither here nor there

my opinion, however, is that a bid for aimar shouldn't be considered ambitious - we've just lost him to benfica if reports are correct, wasn't so long ago they were picking up our cast offs for nothing...

Or perhaps we were never interested in Aimar, Woodgate had already agreed to go to Spurs before Keegan came calling, and Modric was made to go to Spurs because the Mamic brothers could get a bigger slice of the cake.

Or perhaps we were never interested in Aimar, Woodgate had already agreed to go to Spurs before Keegan came calling, and Modric was made to go to Spurs because the Mamic brothers could get a bigger slice of the cake.

BALDERDASH!!!