Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

A quick question, were we actually in for him?

Don't think anyone can answer that question.

Doesn't stop them having a whinge though. :thup:

If we wanted him and didn't get him then that's disappointing, but we move on either way.

I remember a while back, when Claudio Ranieri began his second stint in charge of Valencia, he was interviewed, and was asked about the possibility pf Aimar joining Liverpool, for then a huge fee, and he said that with Aimar weighing under 60 kilos, he would stand no chance of competing in the Premiership, so as good as he was/is/could be, perhaps he is far better of in Portugal away from the rough and tumble of the Premiership.

If we wanted him and didn't get him then that's disappointing, but we move on either way.

so you don't think it's dissapointing if we didn't want him? Players like that dont grow on trees for £6m

so you don't think it's dissapointing if we didn't want him? Players like that dont grow on trees for £6m

Loads of other clubs (including our direct and indirect competitors in England) didn't want him either it seems, so I'm not too fussed if Keegan wasn't, tbh.

Loads of other clubs (including our direct and indirect competitors in England) didn't want him either it seems, so I'm not too fussed if Keegan wasn't, tbh.

they didn't want Robert either

This conversation could go on quite a long time, couldn't it? Robson wanted Jeffers instead of Bellamy, look what happened there.

Just saying I trust Keegan on this one; if he didn't want the player then that's fair enough with me. If he did want him and the board have let him down then that would be worrying, but we don't know that's the case so why waste time and effort worrying? If the board is letting the manager down as badly as some are making out we'll soon find out because Keegan will be off.

Let's see.

Feel baffled by some of the criticism at the board. what have they done wrong? they have gone after a player that i thought is too big for us despite his recent form. an ambitious move i say. we used to attract players due to our then-status and more importantly we pay them silly wages. now times are different... even though i want this move to succeed, it is doomed from the start once a club like Benfica comes in. if we are the only one interested, am sure we get him, beats playing in the lower division. Benfica is a much attractive proposition; his ex-coach which is famous and win things b4, much bigger club with history, similar culture and higher chance of winning something. us??? we are now no more than a midtable club, we do not pay big wages now, a so-so manager. Yes, i admit i love MA to be more free with his cash and pay silly wages to attract better players but who to say this is abt wages to Aimar. He just wants to play for a better club. No one is at fault. At least the board tries..... fact is we no longer has the pulling power...my my even that joke Anton Ferdinand rejects us and prefer playing as a back-up at West Ham.       

i feel confused by your quote as IF your willing to believe the tabloids he wanted to come here but wanted more money. but you say a player like him wouldn't want to come here.............are you as confused as i am ?

This conversation could go on quite a long time, couldn't it? Robson wanted Jeffers instead of Bellamy, look what happened there.

Just saying I trust Keegan on this one; if he didn't want the player then that's fair enough with me. If he did want him and the board have let him down then that would be worrying, but we don't know that's the case so why waste time and effort worrying? If the board is letting the manager down as badly as some are making out we'll soon find out because Keegan will be off.

Let's see.

fair enough  :thup:

Guest neesy111

aimar is not the player he once was, it could be a blessing in disguise, and it was a gamble for getting a player who just got his side relegated last season ffs

theres still 4 weeks until the season starts ffs and 6 till the transfer window shuts

plenty of time to get 3-4 more players in

and we still don't know whether we we're interested in him ffs

Got to love NE5. A couple of nights ago we were lacking ambition for signing Aimar, now we've got no ambition because we didn't sign him. :lol:

:lol: so which is it NE5?

I'm not a fence sitter myself, but it appears you're swinging your views back and forth as it suits. Please clarify if you've got the time. Thanks

just read his posts and it seems to me he's spot on - the ambition he refers to is to complete deals isn't?  he says something is wrong, ambition or whatever

woodgate, modric, aimar have all been moved for and turned us down to some degree so he's right, something is missing - whether ambition is the right word is neither here nor there

my opinion, however, is that a bid for aimar shouldn't be considered ambitious - we've just lost him to benfica if reports are correct, wasn't so long ago they were picking up our cast offs for nothing...

EDIT: also meant to say in that last part about his career appearing to be on the decline as well, but forgot

The club has been on the decline since the appointment of Souness. What I mean by that is our league finishes have been largely shit since SBR's last season in charge. Ashley, Keegan and co have come into this club well aware of the need to REBUILD its stature. No wonder players turn us down when they have witnessed the last 3 or 4 years of total shambles.

not disagreeing, but we've been this bad before and still managed to get the players we wanted - as ATB says by offering money basically

it still makes NE5 right, somethings missing, call it money if you want

You can't blame the club for missing out on the three players for not showing the money, when you imply in other posts that we showed them the money and they didn't come for other reasons?

Stop moving the goalposts.

you and your fucking goalposts James, doesn't wash as I'm moving nothing - you seem fond of pointing out deals are complicated so what's so complicated about making the leap to; one deal we might match a fee but not wages, lose the player...another deal we might be willing to pay the wages but not the fee?  same result

{before you start these are example of possibilites, rather than extact examples}

the reports of aimar, be they true, say we matched the valuation that benfica had to then match to conclude the deal - so what went wrong?  reports also said they dispatched rui costa on a jet to make sure the deal happened, did we urgently dispatch anyone if we wanted him that badly?

i don't know do i, i wasn't there, but i'm with NE5 in saying "something" isn't right at the moment but i don't know what it is, there are many possibilities money being one of them

Again, a complete contradiction, as I'm sure if we were interested in that situation, Keegan would be on a plane to Portugal.

piss poor James, look up what contradiction means and try again

[you've used goalposts already, by the way]

Guest neesy111

Just noticed the Sun's article today. :lol:

And people still believe the papers have any fucking clue about what's going on. :iamatwat:

some people on here take football too seriously and believe anything they hear

Guest elbee909

Feel baffled by some of the criticism at the board. what have they done wrong? they have gone after a player that i thought is too big for us despite his recent form. an ambitious move i say. we used to attract players due to our then-status and more importantly we pay them silly wages. now times are different... even though i want this move to succeed, it is doomed from the start once a club like Benfica comes in. if we are the only one interested, am sure we get him, beats playing in the lower division. Benfica is a much attractive proposition; his ex-coach which is famous and win things b4, much bigger club with history, similar culture and higher chance of winning something. us??? we are now no more than a midtable club, we do not pay big wages now, a so-so manager. Yes, i admit i love MA to be more free with his cash and pay silly wages to attract better players but who to say this is abt wages to Aimar. He just wants to play for a better club. No one is at fault. At least the board tries..... fact is we no longer has the pulling power...my my even that joke Anton Ferdinand rejects us and prefer playing as a back-up at West Ham.        

i feel confused by your quote as IF your willing to believe the tabloids he wanted to come here but wanted more money. but you say a player like him wouldn't want to come here.............are you as confused as i am ?

Yeah, doesn't know whom he's supporting for one thing.

Guest neesy111
NEWCASTLE United fans have been dealt a blow after Argentine international Pablo Aimar agreed to join Benfica.

The skilful 28-year-old has reportedly signed for the Portguese giants from La Liga outfit Real Zaragoza for a fee close to £6m, according to sources in Spain.

Benfica's Sporting Director, Rui Costa, has been in Spain in the last 48 hours to seal the deal for the South American who will play under Quique Sánchez Flores next term.

Aimar said: "Fortunately, I have always been able to choose where to play in my career. I had other offers, but I always wanted Benfica."

However, there was some good news after Oba Martins once again nailed his colours to the mast after reports had linked him with a move to Arsenal.

It isn't the first time Martins has spoke of his desire to stay on Tyneside but he said: "I really want to play for Newcastle. I really love the fans as well.

"There is talk about Arsenal, which is a good thing because they play in the Uefa Champions League, but for now I am a Newcastle player and I will stay here for three years."

so his agent was lying then, if never wanted to join us and was using us to lure benfica into getting the deal sorted, so it wasn't about money after all

NEWCASTLE United fans have been dealt a blow after Argentine international Pablo Aimar agreed to join Benfica.

The skilful 28-year-old has reportedly signed for the Portguese giants from La Liga outfit Real Zaragoza for a fee close to £6m, according to sources in Spain.

Benfica's Sporting Director, Rui Costa, has been in Spain in the last 48 hours to seal the deal for the South American who will play under Quique Sánchez Flores next term.

Aimar said: "Fortunately, I have always been able to choose where to play in my career. I had other offers, but I always wanted Benfica."

However, there was some good news after Oba Martins once again nailed his colours to the mast after reports had linked him with a move to Arsenal.

It isn't the first time Martins has spoke of his desire to stay on Tyneside but he said: "I really want to play for Newcastle. I really love the fans as well.

"There is talk about Arsenal, which is a good thing because they play in the Uefa Champions League, but for now I am a Newcastle player and I will stay here for three years."

so his agent was lying then, if never wanted to join us and was using us to lure benfica into getting the deal sorted, so it wasn't about money after all

Yet still after he is gone the so called English club that missed out on him does not get named..

Guest neesy111

Yet still after he is gone the so called English club that missed out on him does not get named..

Yes so the chronicle are again assuming it was us who the club was and I wonder why it got unamed, because it got used in this deal to bump up his wages

so it was for unlikely we we're gonna sign him anycase now

Guest Christian Hayne

Exclusively Wrong

Daily Mirror Exclusive by Alan Nixon, July 16: 'Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan is set to sign Argentine star Pablo Aimar in a sensational £7million deal - the biggest signing he has made since returning to St James' Park in January. Keegan was given the allclear to get the skilful forward last night after his transfer negotiators struck a deal with Spanish club Real Zaragoza under the noses of Portsmouth, Sunderland and Benfica.

'The deal, first revealed on June 3, is also a feather in the cap of Newcastle wheeler-dealers Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez who pulled off the coup along with Spanish 'expert' Jeff Vetere.'

Daily Mirror (Not Exclusive) by Alan Nixon, July 17: 'Newcastle United's stunning £7million move for Argentinian star Pablo Aimar has collapsed, dealing a shattering blow for boss Kevin Keegan. The Toon's offer for Aimar was accepted by Spanish club Real Zaragoza, but the skilful attacker turned down the move last night because of problems with personal terms.

'The news will be a major upset for Keegan, who has been chasing Aimar for months, and it is also an embarrassment for Toon's transfer negotiating team of Dennis Wise, Jeff Vetere and Tony Jimenez.'

They shouldn't be the only ones embarrassed, Alan.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8749_3829376,00.html