Milner to Liverpool?

Guest Coubury

He's after a new contract according to the chron, so it sounds like it's all been agent talk.

Thought it was strange that Liverpool would be after him like.

He's just had one.

Sorry I was obviously too ashamed to admit I got this from the S*n*erland Echo

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/nufc/Liverpool-and-Villa-warned-off.4216039.jp

Newcastle United have warned Liverpool and Aston Villa off James Milner.

The two clubs are keen to sign the winger, who had looked destined for the St James's Park exit this summer door after four years on Tyneside.

Neither, however, has made a firm bid, and United have made it clear they have no intention of letting the England Under-21 international – under contract at the club until 2011 – leave Newcastle.

Manager Kevin Keegan has never wanted to part with Milner, but the 22-year-old is one of his most saleable assets, and it was suggested the club would listen to offers of around £9m for a player signed by Sir Bobby Robson for £3.6m from Leeds United in the summer of 2004.

Liverpool were looking to do an exchange deal for Milner – with the likes of Jermaine Pennant and Danny Guthrie possible makeweights – while Villa, where Milner spent a season on loan under David O'Leary in 2005-06, were understood to be preparing a cash deal.

For his part, Milner is keen to know where he stands, and the prospect of playing Champions League football for Liverpool is an attractive proposition, while he enjoyed his time at Villa Park, and would relish playing for Martin O'Neill.

His representative has enquired about a new long-term contract for Milner, whose present deal – which kicked in last summer – was negotiated around 18 months ago with then chairman Freddy Shepherd.

But United, while keen to keep Milner at the club, are unwilling to open talks at this stage, with the contractual situations of Michael Owen, Steve Harper and Steven Taylor higher up the agenda, with all three out of contract at the end of next season.

Meanwhile, Newcastle's determination to hold on to Milner means the chances of a move for Tottenham Hotspur winger Aaron Lennon have receded.

He's after a new contract according to the chron, so it sounds like it's all been agent talk.

Thought it was strange that Liverpool would be after him like.

He's just had one.

Sorry I was obviously too ashamed to admit I got this from the S*n*erland Echo

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/nufc/Liverpool-and-Villa-warned-off.4216039.jp

Newcastle United have warned Liverpool and Aston Villa off James Milner.

The two clubs are keen to sign the winger, who had looked destined for the St James's Park exit this summer door after four years on Tyneside.

Neither, however, has made a firm bid, and United have made it clear they have no intention of letting the England Under-21 international under contract at the club until 2011 leave Newcastle.

Manager Kevin Keegan has never wanted to part with Milner, but the 22-year-old is one of his most saleable assets, and it was suggested the club would listen to offers of around £9m for a player signed by Sir Bobby Robson for £3.6m from Leeds United in the summer of 2004.

Liverpool were looking to do an exchange deal for Milner with the likes of Jermaine Pennant and Danny Guthrie possible makeweights while Villa, where Milner spent a season on loan under David O'Leary in 2005-06, were understood to be preparing a cash deal.

For his part, Milner is keen to know where he stands, and the prospect of playing Champions League football for Liverpool is an attractive proposition, while he enjoyed his time at Villa Park, and would relish playing for Martin O'Neill.

His representative has enquired about a new long-term contract for Milner, whose present deal which kicked in last summer was negotiated around 18 months ago with then chairman Freddy Shepherd.

But United, while keen to keep Milner at the club, are unwilling to open talks at this stage, with the contractual situations of Michael Owen, Steve Harper and Steven Taylor higher up the agenda, with all three out of contract at the end of next season.

Meanwhile, Newcastle's determination to hold on to Milner means the chances of a move for Tottenham Hotspur winger Aaron Lennon have receded.

Hopefully KK will convince everyone that Newcastle needs Lennon as well. O0

Speaking as someone who doesn't rate Milner at all, I think it would be stupid to sell him unless we have a massive July transfer season lined up.  We might actually need a few players in the squad if we want to be playing football for 10 months of the Premiership season.

Agreed, except that I do rate Milner. I honestly don't understand why so many people don't, but I won't get into it.

Its easy really isn't it, we sell him and we buy his replacement who will be better but cheaper. Then we sign all the other players we need for the squad, we only need about 6.

Never played Football Manager have you!? Loser!

They're offering double what he's worth. It's good business sense to let him go. I honestly can't see why you rate him so highly. Is it something to do with your love of Amdy Faye? ;)

Good young versatile player who won't let us down when we need him.

They may be offering double what he is worth but the squad is low and we could end up replacing someone who costs us double what they are worth.

Speaking as someone who doesn't rate Milner at all, I think it would be stupid to sell him unless we have a massive July transfer season lined up.  We might actually need a few players in the squad if we want to be playing football for 10 months of the Premiership season.

Agreed, except that I do rate Milner. I honestly don't understand why so many people don't, but I won't get into it.

Its easy really isn't it, we sell him and we buy his replacement who will be better but cheaper. Then we sign all the other players we need for the squad, we only need about 6.

They're offering double what he's worth. It's good business sense to let him go. I honestly can't see why you rate him so highly. Is it something to do with your love of Amdy Faye? ;)

They may be offering double what he is worth but the squad is low and we could end up replacing someone who costs us double what they are worth.

What does that actually mean? You mean he'll turn up to matches on time? We've needed him on plenty of occasions to put a decent cross in. Generally, he lets us down.

If "not letting the club down" is all you need to do nowadays, we may as well give Dave a contract.

Benitez had better not be thinking about spending 9m on Milner. Silliness.

I would have so take the deal that would have landed us Insua and Guthrie. Milner sucks.

Insua is a very talented young left back. Watched him for the reserves last season and he looked good. Guthrie can only be marginally worse than MIlner at the very worst. He's probably better than Milner in fact.

What does that actually mean? You mean he'll turn up to matches on time? We've needed him on plenty of occasions to put a decent cross in. Generally, he lets us down.

If "not letting the club down" is all you need to do nowadays, we may as well give Dave a contract.

haha.. well put

As in he isn't injured more often than he plays (Emre), doesn't go off in little strops (N'Zogbia), gets banged up or banned from playing (Barton), isn't complete and utter shit (Duff) or vanishes because his engine has gone (Geremi).

Even Butt was being called worse than shit before Keegan really started getting his shit together.

Fact is we have very few midfielders we can actually rely upon for the reasons given above. Milner is no world beater but he is a decent young player who doesn't give us problems. If we had a midfield full of talent then selling Milner for a good amount is good business but we clearly don't and I can't see us overhauling the midfield in one summer.

I fully expect this to be read by some as "Yeah Milner iz lyke fucking mint and da best midfielder we av ever had lyk!!!!!".

I would have so take the deal that would have landed us Insua and Guthrie. Milner sucks.

Insua is a very talented young left back. Watched him for the reserves last season and he looked good. Guthrie can only be marginally worse than MIlner at the very worst. He's probably better than Milner in fact.

I can think of plenty of players who looked very decent at reserve level and were showed up when they played for the first team. Think.

Milner is miles better than Guthrie. Insua looks decent.