€8.7m bid for Reyes?

Optimistic Nut

Tough one.

He was decent for Arsenal, decent for Real Madrid, and hes been decent for Athletico. He has talent, but from that point of view, he frequently disappoints - without being s***.

Pros:

- Adds more ability and a bit of pace into the squad.

- Good cover/competition with respect to the current formation and Martins'/Owen's position.

- Reduces the likelihood of Smith/Ameobi getting a game if Martins or Owen pick up an injury.

- Should be the end of the waster Duff.

- Easy to imagine him doing well under Keegan, who has frequently managed to the best out of his talented attacking players at club level.

- Experienced in the Premiership. There'll be no footballing culture shock with him, he knows what its like. Luque/Marcelino being wasters here shouldnt really apply.

Cons:

- Might be the end of Zoggy.

- Might be an addition that only adds another body in the squad rather than the much needed significant improvement on the first team.

- Questionable motivation in signing for us when hes at a more successful club.

- We've dipped our toes in CL rejects before, and it hasnt worked out.

Guest optimistic nit

if he wants over 35-40 k a week i'd say fuck off.

if he would be happy with under then i don't know. it is quite risky but he has proven he has quality, its just whether he will use it if we sign him. i'm neither here nor there tbh. if keegan thinks he can get the best out of him, then i'd be happy with his signing it isn't money that should be tossed about, but it could be worth the risk.

i am getting luque warning bells mind.

He has already proven he is more useful than Luque in this country though.

My only concern would be his homesickness and him not bothering to pick up the language.

im sorry but if he left arsenal, why would he consider coming back to england, a place he did not enjoy living in and come to the north east?

if he was homesick in london, which was probebly the best place for him to settle at first, he is not going to do much better in the north east

no goals last year? sounds like some of our midfielders

we need midfielder(s) that can score at least 10 a season in order to improve our squad

reyes is a BIG NO NO for me

plus hes likely to command a big wage

He has already proven he is more useful than Luque in this country though.

My only concern would be his homesickness and him not bothering to pick up the language.

How can you you expect him to speak Geordie so quickly?. :coolsmiley:

I'm not concerned about any player if Keegan wants him, Keegan has a record here which is as good as any manager.  If Keegan wants Reyes then we should go for him.

Hardly relevant, but I've just done a season with Atletico Madrid on FM, and I hardly played him.  I don't know if my team reflects what they played in real life.  Just managed to get £22m out of Spurs for him.

There we have it boys, girls, ladies and gennelmen.

Send fucking scouts all over the globe to asses all the talent on offer? NAH, fuck that, Keegans just spent £30 on champ manager 08

Was excellent when he first arrived at Arsenal and looked like he was going to be special then it all fell to pieces.

Apparently, Henry used to be on his case and didn't really get along with him. Also, his mother didn't like England and kept hounding him to return to Spain, as she was intent on living with him due to his age. It was more her than him who didn't settle.

There were reports when we were first linked a few months ago that Reyes now regrets leaving the premiership and wants to return, as Spain hasn't been a bed of roses as he thought it might be. Seems he's finally sick of his mom telling him what to do  :lol:.

Could be a very shrewd purchase.

I'm sure this is just a coincidence but the Spanish seem to create these players, who play in an advanced left forward type role (See Garcia, Luque and Reyes), who are quality over in La Liga but can't make it over here.

There's got to be more than just these reasons for it but the following do jump out;

- lack of bottle/will to fight

- Leave the game when they get a kick

- don't fit into a 4-4-2 (see reasons above) and only prove their worth in a 4-3-3 when they fancy it.

He seems a talented lad (when he fancies it) but, as others have said, if he can't settle in london (I think the weather was his main gripe iirc), he won't in Newcastle.

All of that said, the price at least seems sensible.

I wouldn't buy him but then maybe kk/vetere can see past the huffs, tantrums, constant sniping to the press etc.

For those fans of Robert, it could potentially be like his signing imo.

Yes he'll turn it on, on occasion, but we'd have to be prepared for the baggage.

Surely this is academic? If Reyes and his family couldn't settle in London and at a club like Arsenal, then why would he even come back to England and to Newcastle in particular if the offer is real/accepted?

Surely this is academic? If Reyes and his family couldn't settle in London and at a club like Arsenal, then why would he even come back to England and to Newcastle in particular if the offer is real/accepted?

He was quoted a few weeks ago saying he misses England

So he's gone from nigh-on 2 years non-stop of complaining about the country and engineering a move away from the best footballing team in the land to missing the place?

That's quite a range.

So he's gone from nigh-on 2 years non-stop of complaining about the country and engineering a move away from the best footballing team in the land to missing the place?

That's quite a range.

we dont actually know for sure what happened may well have been hs family wanting him to go back

Referring to English nighlife, he told FourFourTwo magazine, “Everything in England is shut at 5pm, there is nothing to do, nowhere to go. I just got bored.”

There was that prank call done to him as well, remember? Where he admitted a lot of stuff about not being happy over here, as he thought he was talking to the president of Real Madrid.

You could be right ST, of course, and he may have just been saying all of that to get a move to Real (his club, were they not?) but I'd still be mighty surprised if this story has legs.