Enrique for Zigic?

Kaizero

For his first season, I think Enrique's been excellent especially given the "in one week, out the next" approach Fat Sam took with him - looked quality in the settled side under KK. He's going nowhere imo and I'm very glad.

Is Enrique decent? I'm not sure he's a better LB than Zigic is a forward.

You dont rate him?

Personally, i think he's superb defensively, his attacking attributes arent upto scratch - yet, but i think that can be instilled into him. Its already been mentioned but swapping our only LB (who in my opinion is good and im sure will get better) for a 4th (not counting Sm*th) doesnt make sense.

If the board have the criteria that we think they do, i cant see them sanctioning this transfer if Keegan genuinely does have riise on his mind as replacement.

Don't think he's been brilliant. Certainly no better than the likes of Nicky Shorey etc.

Or no worse which is testament to Enrique considering this is his frst season in a faultering side, in a notoriously difficult foreign league, with little consistent playing time and all at the age of 21.

Shorey is 27 and has had the benefit of playing in English football his entire life, so on that basis, you can see i rate Enrique very highly.

Shorey was playing in the lower leagues with nowt said about him until he was about 25 and Reading came up. There's a lot of development still to go at Enrique's age. I never understand how people can compare two players of hugely different circumstances with a simple "A is better than B" point of view without taking into account ages, languages, personal life, development etc. Like when people compare every young kid to Drogba and totally miss that Drogba was a French league no-mark until he was about 25.

Not having a go at you Keefaz cos I know you're a sensible lad, just see it a lot on here and find it rather short sighted. Enrique's got a way to go but selling him would be absolute madness imo - not that I think there's any mileage in this story whatsoever.

Is Enrique decent? I'm not sure he's a better LB than Zigic is a forward.

You dont rate him?

Personally, i think he's superb defensively, his attacking attributes arent upto scratch - yet, but i think that can be instilled into him. Its already been mentioned but swapping our only LB (who in my opinion is good and im sure will get better) for a 4th (not counting Sm*th) doesnt make sense.

If the board have the criteria that we think they do, i cant see them sanctioning this transfer if Keegan genuinely does have riise on his mind as replacement.

Don't think he's been brilliant. Certainly no better than the likes of Nicky Shorey etc.

Shorey can't match Enrique defensively IMO..

It appears Shorey may have been a 1 season wonder, he's been less than impressive this past season. He only ended up with a high number of assists because he takes all the corners, a bit like Milner when he was at Villa.

Guest Heneage

Why sell a player we just bought for a striker thats flopped at Valencia. He's a Serb Andy Carroll and I really don't rate Carroll.

Why sell a player we just bought for a striker thats flopped at Valencia. He's a Serb Andy Carroll and I really don't rate Carroll.

Cos you've seen so much of Carroll.

Shorey was playing in the lower leagues with nowt said about him until he was about 25 and Reading came up. There's a lot of development still to go at Enrique's age. I never understand how people can compare two players of hugely different circumstances with a simple "A is better than B" point of view without taking into account ages, languages, personal life, development etc. Like when people compare every young kid to Drogba and totally miss that Drogba was a French league no-mark until he was about 25.

Not having a go at you Keefaz cos I know you're a sensible lad, just see it a lot on here and find it rather short sighted. Enrique's got a way to go but selling him would be absolute madness imo - not that I think there's any mileage in this story whatsoever.

I'm not knocking the lad, but some folk seem to be getting excited just because he isn't Luque.

Guest Heneage

You seen more like? Sorry how do you know what I watch?You catch every La Liga, and Reserves league game that commences aye?

Yes he bangs them in for the reserves of a fair few of the games i've watched there is no denying that, but didn't one Rocky Chopra do the same? I think Carroll to be a simple player, yes he's big, but he seems to be lacking a football brain like Zamblera, i'd far rather see him get a shot. On the few occassions i've met him he seems to be like most of our youth terribly terribly arrogant, thick as pig shit which is irrelevant, but I just don't see what warrents a 5 year deal, in my opinion which is what forums are about rememeber "Opinions" he won't make the grade.

You seen more like? Sorry how do you know what I watch?You catch every La Liga, and Reserves league game that commences aye?

Yes he bangs them in for the reserves of a fair few of the games i've watched there is no denying that, but didn't one Rocky Chopra do the same? I think Carroll to be a simple player, yes he's big, but he seems to be lacking a football brain like Zamblera, i'd far rather see him get a shot. On the few occassions i've met him he seems to be like most of our youth terribly terribly arrogant, thick as pig shit which is irrelevant, but I just don't see what warrents a 5 year deal, in my opinion which is what forums are about rememeber "Opinions" he won't make the grade.

Does that mean no-one who does well for the reserves deserves a chance then?

So you're saying Carroll could score 10+ goals a season for an average team in La Liga, 11 in 29 for his country and warrant a transfer to one of Europe's biggest clubs?

Bollocks my friend, absolute bollocks.

Guest Heneage

No no, but to draw the conclusion that goals in the reserves equates to good strikers would be wrong. We've had too many false dawns like Walton and Chopra. Yes i'm sure some players who you could probably name me have done well at that level and gone on to great things, and I just don't see any thing that can push him up to that next level. He did poorly at Preston, and for as much hype as there is, I can't see him filling it. A big thing that stuck out for me was Chelsea, when he pulled it back, I dunno about you but i'd  have thought everyone of us here would have smashed that at Cech not pull it back, it's that killer instinct, a Shearer, a RVN, Henry , pulls the trigger imo, but I could be wrong.

No no, but to draw the conclusion that goals in the reserves equates to good strikers would be wrong. We've had too many false dawns like Walton and Chopra. Yes i'm sure some players who you could probably name me have done well at that level and gone on to great things, and I just don't see any thing that can push him up to that next level. He did poorly at Preston, and for as much hype as there is, I can't see him filling it. A big thing that stuck out for me was Chelsea, when he pulled it back, I dunno about you but i'd  have thought everyone of us here would have smashed that at Cech not pull it back, it's that killer instinct, a Shearer, a RVN, Henry , pulls the trigger imo, but I could be wrong.

You have to be kidding

EDIT:  Which game against Chelsea? He didn't feature in either this season, so its a bit harsh to criticise him for not scoring past them

Guest Heneage

Apologies should have said it was season previous. 0-0 at SJP . He was put through and pulled it back to no one.

What has that even got to do with anything? I wasn't making the (unfair) judgement, you were.

The fact of the matter is, you're making a judgement on a player who you've seen start once, and been subbed on four times. I'm not really bothered what you've seen of him in the reserves to be totally honest; he's done well there but hasn't had a crack of the whip at the Premiership yet.

Your only claim to backup this argument is a particular incident in one game over a year ago which can be put entirely down to inexperience. It's a shame he's not got the predatory instinct that Shearer had just yet, but give it time. Besides, you can bounce back that comment, with a very good performance a couple of weeks prior to that game you mention away at Pompey; so it's 6 for 1/half a dozen for the other. No idea how anyone can rate someone so highly/lowly after such a short period of time, that was what i was getting at.

Carroll hasn't shown anything special so far and flopped at Preston, tho it is too early to judge and he may be a late developer.

The spell at Preston not going that well could be the best thing that could happen to him.  A lesson in what will happen if he doesn't knuckle down & concentrate on making it as a footballer.

Carroll hasn't shown anything special so far and flopped at Preston, tho it is too early to judge and he may be a late developer.

The spell at Preston not going that well could be the best thing that could happen to him.  A lesson in what will happen if he doesn't knuckle down & concentrate on making it as a footballer.

good point.

tbf he's done better than smith when he's been subbed on, tho that's not saying a great deal.

Guest Heneage

Yes he bangs them in for the reserves of a fair few of the games i've watched there is no denying that, but didn't one Rocky Chopra do the same? I think Carroll to be a simple player, yes he's big, but he seems to be lacking a football brain like Zamblera, i'd far rather see him get a shot. On the few occassions i've met him he seems to be like most of our youth terribly terribly arrogant, thick as pig s*** which is irrelevant, but I just don't see what warrents a 5 year deal, in my opinion which is what forums are about rememeber "Opinions" he won't make the grade.

What has that even got to do with anything? I wasn't making the (unfair) judgement, you were.

The fact of the matter is, you're making a judgement on a player who you've seen start once, and been subbed on four times. I'm not really bothered what you've seen of him in the reserves to be totally honest; he's done well there but hasn't had a crack of the whip at the Premiership yet.

Your only claim to backup this argument is a particular incident in one game over a year ago which can be put entirely down to inexperience. It's a shame he's not got the predatory instinct that Shearer had just yet, but give it time. Besides, you can bounce back that comment, with a very good performance a couple of weeks prior to that game you mention away at Pompey; so it's 6 for 1/half a dozen for the other. No idea how anyone can rate someone so highly/lowly after such a short period of time, that was what i was getting at.

He's had minutes this season, and yes it's just a gut instinct but thats me. I get a feelinghe won't make the grade. It's an opinion. But Inexperience, I dunno I think thats too easy, I can't argue as were all different, but its your opinion and I treat it with the same respect as any others.

Paolo Maldini was widely regarded as being one of the best left backs of his generation both at club level and internationally. Was that because he was great at going forward or because he was a brilliant defender? I said in the other thread, because he looks a good prospect as a defender, there is always going to be interest in Enrique. He's still a bit raw, but I've seen foreign players take a lot longer to adapt to the English game.

We have made so many bad signings in the past, it's no surprise when we look to have made a half decent one, the vultures are already hovering to take him off us. Keep Enrique and if Zigic is any good then buy him, otherwise thanks but no thanks.