Can we compete with Manchester City?

Dave

He's a shrewd businessman but he can't get away with what he did in Thailand over here. In Thailand he would just eliminate the competition and threaten Ronaldinho with death if he didn't join.

This is a very foolish statement. I have businesses in Thailand and my feedback/feel is that he was a very good prime minister, steering the economy to one of its best runs in recent history. The foreigners including myself have a lot of confidence in him when the country is under his stewardship. After he was forced out by the military coup, i pulled out my investments as many of the foreigners did. I remembered i was in a taxi on the way to the airport, the thai taxi driver was lamenting that he was forced out, interestingly, he said he knows that there is some kind of corruption in terms of benefiting his family but he does not care if the country is growing strongly. He gathers a lot of support from the poor while the middle-high income are not happy with him cos he favours the poor, distributing wealth from the rich to the poor in his many policies. In any case, he is a very smart man and am sure if he wants the Ron and pay him loads, he has his sums. His record of business is almost 100%, a record of successes.

This bloke yeah?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

not even bothered to read the wiki. no offence, some of the stuff written are just plain rubbish so have stopped reading stuff from Wiki. In any case, do not believe everything u read especially asian politics whereby the media is very much controlled by the government.

Works both ways.

We've put all our eggs in one basket before and it doesn't work. What happens if he gets injured? All that money a week for someone not playing. Spread the risk and wages across 3 or 4 good players rather than one world class one. The fact that the Barcelona fans don't seem bothered about losing Ronaldinho speaks volumes. I remember they were happy to get rid of Kluivert and we found out why.

As for signing Ronaldinho helping attracting other good players to a club, isn't Michael Owen supposed to do that for us?

good players win you nowt, only class ones do that. I'm advocating a general proven principle here, not individuals, because I too would be concerned about Ronaldhino's motivation. However, it seems that our owner is maybe not going to go down the route of taking on the top clubs for the best players, so thats that then.

Cutting Micheal Owen's pay packet will probably lose him by the way.

He's a shrewd businessman but he can't get away with what he did in Thailand over here. In Thailand he would just eliminate the competition and threaten Ronaldinho with death if he didn't join.

This is a very foolish statement. I have businesses in Thailand and my feedback/feel is that he was a very good prime minister, steering the economy to one of its best runs in recent history. The foreigners including myself have a lot of confidence in him when the country is under his stewardship. After he was forced out by the military coup, i pulled out my investments as many of the foreigners did. I remembered i was in a taxi on the way to the airport, the thai taxi driver was lamenting that he was forced out, interestingly, he said he knows that there is some kind of corruption in terms of benefiting his family but he does not care if the country is growing strongly. He gathers a lot of support from the poor while the middle-high income are not happy with him cos he favours the poor, distributing wealth from the rich to the poor in his many policies. In any case, he is a very smart man and am sure if he wants the Ron and pay him loads, he has his sums. His record of business is almost 100%, a record of successes.

Really? Well that's very interesting, but my feedback/feel is that he murdered thousands of people without trial.

for that kind of money one one player, its a huge gamble, one player does not make a team

rather get e few fgood players in then spend so much on a guy who comes in to get his huge paycheck.

US and UK murdered many people without trial too, right?

What is trial? Who is to say who is fair or not fair? Is a trial necessarily going to be fair? Are the laws of US and UK better than Thailand's? Which Government of the day is completely not corrupted?

I've said it once and I shall repeat again, law is not about morality (Morality is subjective... whose morality shall we based it on?). Law is about following rules... black and white. For those grey areas, it is opportunities to be taken advantage of, with possible risks of course. Whoever is not found guilty is not considered as breaking the law. Who cares about newspaper? They are just views of another person. Correct or wrong, with agenda or not, is very very hard to tell.

Every government has its black sheeps, is more or less corrupted. It's only to what degree and how much is being surfaced hahahaha What is important is they are able to bring the country forward at the same time. During Thaksin's reign, Thailand has indeed do better than they do now. As I am a utilitarian, I think looking from that point of view, Thaksin had done well in his reign.

However, I don't think we are interested to go into politics or information about Thaksin's reign on this forum. The message is he is an astute businessman and to pay a huge price for signing Ronaldinho, he must have done his calculations. And like what the member before me have mentioned, in the field of business, he has a near 100% record. Time will tell.

On another note, I do not mind if we take calculated risks. Taking pure risks without any calculations in the world today is relying merely on luck and it is not wise in today's world.

What is trial? Who is to say who is fair or not fair? Is a trial necessarily going to be fair? Are the laws of US and UK better than Thailand's? Which Government of the day is completely not corrupted?

I've said it once and I shall repeat again, law is not about morality (Morality is subjective... whose morality shall we based it on?). Law is about following rules... black and white. For those grey areas, it is opportunities to be taken advantage of, with possible risks of course. Whoever is not found guilty is not considered as breaking the law. Who cares about newspaper? They are just views of another person. Correct or wrong, with agenda or not, is very very hard to tell.

Every government has its black sheeps, is more or less corrupted. It's only to what degree and how much is being surfaced hahahaha What is important is they are able to bring the country forward at the same time. During Thaksin's reign, Thailand has indeed do better than they do now. As I am a utilitarian, I think looking from that point of view, Thaksin had done well in his reign.

However, I don't think we are interested to go into politics or information about Thaksin's reign on this forum. The message is he is an astute businessman and to pay a huge price for signing Ronaldinho, he must have done his calculations. And like what the member before me have mentioned, in the field of business, he has a near 100% record. Time will tell.

On another note, I do not mind if we take calculated risks. Taking pure risks without any calculations in the world today is relying merely on luck and it is not wise in today's world.

Ah, the old "I don't care how many people he's had executed, can he sign good footballers" argument O0

risky signing if you ask me.  I'd rather try and spread the money across 5 good, commited players who are on the rise than spend 20m and 200k a week on a player who's only coming for the money and had a shitter last season.

This bloke yeah?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

not even bothered to read the wiki. no offence, some of the stuff written are just plain rubbish so have stopped reading stuff from Wiki. In any case, do not believe everything u read especially stuff that I write, as I've got a knack of writing complete bollocks

Think that's what you meant to write.

Guest MaetihS

I really do not care whether Mike Ashley is a wanted criminal or crime lord if he really loves the club and want success as much as we do and spend big to bring in quality players. But thats just me.

The US and UK ofcourse murder people abroad, but what relevance does this have? Is George Bush taking over a premiership club?

What is a trial? It's where all the evidence is laid out in a public forum and a jury decides whether that person is guilty. The judge is there to make sure it is fair.

Morality is subjective up to a point, but i think most people here would agree that it is wrong to go out and execute everyone that has a bit of weed on them without trial.

Shinawatra did well for Thailand in the same way Hitler did for Germany, he cut down on crime aswell, plus he got everyone jobs.. apart from the people who got killed ofcourse, but hey who is to say he was morally wrong there, totally subjective innit.

Guest shaun11177

Ronny quote " If there is one thing i hate in football its trying to play when there is a really cold wind cutting thru you" unquote.

No doubt he would get a niggly injury and then be fit for a Brazil friendly!

Perhaps the Man City owner is trating his ownership as a hobby not as a business therefore it doesnt matter to him what money he spends.

Guest hodsgod

I think Barca have had the best of Ronaldinho. If he goes to Citeh, I can see it all ending in tears.

Its a statement of intent but one which would be better served by signing 6 very good players (on £40k per week) to improve the strength of their squad.

It's a commercial decision this, not a football one.

100% correct in my opinion, half a dozen solid players will achieve far more in footballing terms. Finding them however is not always so easy.

I think Barca have had the best of Ronaldinho. If he goes to Citeh, I can see it all ending in tears.

Its a statement of intent but one which would be better served by signing 6 very good players (on £40k per week) to improve the strength of their squad.

100% correct in my opinion, half a dozen solid players will achieve far more in footballing terms. Finding them however is not always so easy.

How exactly? A club can only have 11 players on the pitch at any one time. We are talking about Premiership clubs here, and in the case of Manchester City they already have plenty of good players on 40k a week. A top quality player wins you games you otherwise would't win, and I'm sure most of us realise Ronaldinho is in that bracket, if not one of the best in the world at it. We have plenty of so-called good players on 40k a week and they simply crumble when faced with players of a higher calibre. Trying to bring in players from a level above if they are available and would be willing to come could be the difference between midtable and possibly breaking the top 4, in which case income from Champions League football will offset the spending. Yes, it is a risky strategy, but you don't break into the top 4 from midtable without taking risks anymore unfortunately. We took the risk before under Shepher and it sort of blew up in our face eventually. Now we have a new owner and it is crunch time for him: will he take a risk and invest accordingly or consolidate, which in this case is moving backwards seeing as our competitors aren't fannying about..?

How exactly? A club can only have 11 players on the pitch at any one time. We are talking about Premiership clubs here, and in the case of Manchester City they already have plenty of good players on 40k a week. A top quality player wins you games you otherwise would't win, and I'm sure most of us realise Ronaldinho is in that bracket, if not one of the best in the world at it. We have plenty of so-called good players on 40k a week and they simply crumble when faced with players of a higher calibre. Trying to bring in players from a level above if they are available and would be willing to come could be the difference between midtable and possibly breaking the top 4, in which case income from Champions League football will offset the spending. Yes, it is a risky strategy, but you don't break into the top 4 from midtable without taking risks anymore unfortunately. We took the risk before under Shepher and it sort of blew up in our face eventually. Now we have a new owner and it is crunch time for him: will he take a risk and invest accordingly or consolidate, which in this case is moving backwards seeing as our competitors aren't fannying about..?

:clap:

wonder how many times this has to be repeated until the message gets through

It's quality that counts

I think Unbelieveable! had his post pretty much spot on there.  Its a risk, but should it work, it'll pay dividends.

Out of interest, wheres Speccy nowadays?  Haven't seen a post from him in ages.

keep it up mate, this sort of thinking may catch on eventually

Guest hodsgod

It's quality that counts

Yes it is quality that counts, but one single player does not make a team, never has done. They need to get better players across the board, to break into the top 4, not one star player. What happens when he is injured? Top teams all have strength in depth, that in my opinion is the stepping stone to success, not wasting money on a former galactico who is just playing for one last pay packet.

It's quality that counts

Yes it is quality that counts, but one single player does not make a team, never has done. They need to get better players across the board, to break into the top 4, not one star player. What happens when he is injured? Top teams all have strength in depth, that in my opinion is the stepping stone to success, not wasting money on a former galactico who is just playing for one last pay packet.

Top teams have top players, midtable teams have midtable players. You don't move from midtable to top by buying more "midtable" players.

Oh, and to call Ronaldinho a former galatico who is just playing for one last pay packet is very, very premature if you ask me. As I said earlier, he has only just turned 28 and it isn't long ago he was World player of the year in back to back seasons. He's just had a bad season for his standards, partly due to injuries. There is nothing to suggest he will not be amongst the best players in the world for years to come, especially as his game was never about pace or strength. The guy is top class quality, and that's not something you lose overnight..

I think Unbelieveable! had his post pretty much spot on there.  Its a risk, but should it work, it'll pay dividends.

Out of interest NE5, whats your take on Portsmouth finishing well in the last few seasons and winning the FA without really paying massive amounts? I'm not trying to stir or anything, but they haven't to my knowledge bought top class quality or pushed the boat out with wages etc. but look to be having a continued run of good seasons, resulting in a trophy with this one.

I reckon we're a better club than them and I'd like to think that we'd be chosen over them if a player had to choose btw.

Thing is, at £20m and £200m over three years in wages, you can buy a few top players who although not as good as Ronaldinho, can together bring more to the team.

Like who? A top player costs >15 million in this market and won't come cheap in wages either. What you are talking about is bringing in a few youngsters who MIGHT make it at this level. For any of them to become the best in the world is a big ask I would think, and that is exactly what Ronaldinho is. Of course Ronaldinho is risky in his own right for different reasons, but his quality is indisputable and I think there would always be takers in the case it wouldn't turn out, because he has phenomenal technique and his a big name for any president of any club to be associated with..

It's quality that counts

That's not strictly true. Maradonna carried Napoli to success by himself.

Out of interest NE5, whats your take on Portsmouth finishing well in the last few seasons and winning the FA without really paying massive amounts? I'm not trying to stir or anything, but they haven't to my knowledge bought top class quality or pushed the boat out with wages etc. but look to be having a continued run of good seasons, resulting in a trophy with this one.

I reckon we're a better club than them and I'd like to think that we'd be chosen over them if a player had to choose btw.

this has been discussed - at length too - elsewhere mate.

They have of course done well, in fact better than all the other clubs competing at their level ie with restricted resources.

Completely different kettle of fish to suggesting that we should attempt to use them as a sort of role model, instead of the major club like ourselves who are more consistently winning things and competing at the top level. You don't think we should be running the club at pompey's level do you ?

Basically, compete at that level and you only go so far. We have to act bigger than that. My guess is they won't go too much further without raising their levels of expenditure.

Sorry, hadn't noticed it elsewhere.  :thup:

I definately agree that I don't think that Pompey would be a good model to base our club on, one with higher league finishes, questionably bigger names in the squad and a much bigger supportbase & stadium, but I can't help but feel that we're behind them.. based on the last few seasons and the progress they've made compared to our slump.

I do share your ambition of aiming for the top and by signing Europes finest, but I honestly don't see them coming to us at this moment in time. Lets say the club aimed to get us.. say.. 6th next season, would you as the devout expectant fan you are, accept that? I think we definately have the pull and potential to reach this next season, presuming we can get the players in. I'd love nothing more than to get them 2-2s at the San Siro but I really can't see the for the next few years. What would be your minimum satisfication.

Alternatevly... who here would take 13th next season & the league cup? - or 6th place finish?