The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

I'm no Shola fan but the booing when he came on yesterday was a disgrace.

Correct, he gets booed for the team being 3-1 down  Oba gets his name chanted for an awful penalty. They all need encouragement.

You have to wonder why a player who is unpopular with a huge number of his own clubs fans would want to sign a new contract with the club. I can only assume it's because he thought no other club would offer him as good a deal (he was probably right).

I imagine Ameobi may well be leading the line for us next season. I'm looking forward to those stories about how he is going to fire us to promotion.

Obviously money would have been a factor but the reason he signed a new contract is because he is being given the chance to play for the club he loves. He also has an inflated sense of his own ability. Neither are really his fault and its not him who should get the stick for it.

I don't know how Shola ever made it into the professional game, but some of our fans were a disgrace when booing him onto the pitch yesterday. If people think he's not making an effort when he's playing then i can understand him getting some stick, but to boo him before he's involved in the game is not on.

Guest neesy111

i think ppl we're booing the decision, but that wasn't on, if anyone in the team deserve's booing it's that joke of a footballer called michael owen who bottled out of some 50-50 challenge's and looked thoroughly uninterested

i think ppl we're booing the decision, but that wasn't on, if anyone in the team deserve's booing it's that joke of a footballer called michael owen who bottled out of some 50-50 challenge's and looked thoroughly uninterested

No they were booing Shola coming on,  the initial booing started when he stepped out the dugout before the board even went up to say who was coming off.  Disgraceful act from so called supporters, i don't care if he's the worst player ever to step foot on St James Park, which he isn't by a long way,  YOU DON'T BOO your own players,  especially before ther've even stepped onto the bloody pitch, if your not supporting the players then your not supporting the team and if your not supporting the team then what the fuck you doing in the ground????????  I'm not a great Shola but that incident sickened me much more than the defeat.

No they were booing Shola coming on,  the initial booing started when he stepped out the dugout before the board even went up to say who was coming off.  Disgraceful act from so called supporters, i don't care if he's the worst player ever to step foot on St James Park, which he isn't by a long way,  YOU DON'T BOO your own players,  especially before ther've even stepped onto the bloody pitch, if your not supporting the players then your not supporting the team and if your not supporting the team then what the f*** you doing in the ground????????  I'm not a great Shola but that incident sickened me much more than the defeat.

I agree 100% and just for the record he did just as much as Michael Owen yesterday.

Why the fuck boo him when next year if we go down he will be here fighting for our cause not Owen, Martins, Viduka, or Lovenkrandz????

Now is definately NOT the time to be booing any of our players or team, or at least not before they've even stepped onto the pitch.

No they were booing Shola coming on,  the initial booing started when he stepped out the dugout before the board even went up to say who was coming off.  Disgraceful act from so called supporters, i don't care if he's the worst player ever to step foot on St James Park, which he isn't by a long way,  YOU DON'T BOO your own players,  especially before ther've even stepped onto the bloody pitch, if your not supporting the players then your not supporting the team and if your not supporting the team then what the f*** you doing in the ground????????  I'm not a great Shola but that incident sickened me much more than the defeat.

I agree 100% and just for the record he did just as much as Michael Owen yesterday.

Why the f*** boo him when next year if we go down he will be here fighting for our cause not Owen, Martins, Viduka, or Lovenkrandz????

Now is definately NOT the time to be booing any of our players or team, or at least not before they've even stepped onto the pitch.

yes,he will be here.

fighting for the cause.....well if he's not going to fight for the cause in the prem i doubt he will in the championship

The booing should never have happened, but he should never have been brought on.

Another example of Hughton and Co. flying in the face of logic/sound reasoning. Game over... no width... Jonas on the bench... let's bring on Shola to frustrate the crowd for 15 minutes. Horrendous decision from that point of view.

People are never going to change their minds about him, I think KK in particular seemed clued-in on this. For that reason alone he should have been sacked off. Should still be sacked off.

Guest Heneage

I've said it before, compare him with Taylor, two local lads, one giving everything he can to help save us, the other ambling around without a care in the world.

i thought the booing was more for the fact we had jonas on the bench, and people started chanting for him to come on 5-10minutes before hand... but shola was giving the chance instead.. thus the boos were aimed more at C.H. and co for the shit decision making rather than shola himself

Will struggle even more in the Championship imo, particularly within Kinnear's game plan - one dimensional brand of direct football from the back.

Punches below his listed height in the air whether be as a targetman through the central corridor or as perceived threat with the ball being crossed into the box and it's mostly down to his poor reading/being unable to gauge a ball's/crosse's flight - a strength in Owen's bow.

One other aspect i'll raise deals with the point of impact - when jostling for front position with his marker - where his balance is poor and imo it's down to a general lack of core strength. Whether it's down to any supposed lack of commitment off-the-pitch on the part of the player, or through poor guidance on the part of those - SBR is one name to be thrown into the mix - who were charged with his development when he was rising through the senior ranks. In any case this aspect of his game is indefensible. Always looks off-balance when taking that 1st touch, and imo it's a major contributing factor behind his turnovers in possession around the centre circle when it's fired direct to his feet. It's a big issue for somebody who lacks the mobility to steal a few yards from his minder, as e means of presenting himself as a receiving target which is more palatable than a 50/50 or 'contested ball'.

In the championship he may not be faced with the proposition of coming to grips with the a-typical 'athletic specimen' type, centrehalves currently marking him in the premiership. Whilst they're often found out in the Premiership, due the end-to-end- counterattacking pattern of play of the Prem, centrehalves in the Chamionship generally play a physically close-checking intimidatory game, particularly the veterans - the mainstays of the championship.

With Shola's above mentioned inability to deal with a marker at the point of impact in mind, imo Shola will struggle as our leading or no.1 target man in the Fizzy Pop league.With his durability, or lack of, thrown into the equation his struggles will become even more pronounced than those already experienced in the top flight.

At least Ashley doesn't have to worry about losing him on free - the prospect of losing a minor asset & a minimal transfer fee in the process - in the foreseeable future though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Libertine

i cannot fully support a manager who starts ameobi. if shearer starts him in the next match (through choice) then he's a fucking idiot. he doesnt have the time to make such a massive error 2 games in a row.

I can understand how he can be s***, I just can't understand how he can stop trying.

This.

Fair enough if he's crap, but at least try to change something. He didn't jump for headers, he didn't try to chase balls, he didn't stick to his marked player. It just reeks of amateur-ism.

The worest player to have wear the black and white shirt. I am speechless about this thug palying again and again while we are in deep trouble.Keegan was the only manger who shows him what he deserve off reserve game football.