The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

He was fucking shite today as usual. Winning a penalty (thank god he was fouled or he'd have lost the ball) does not excuse giving the ball away for pretty much the rest of the game. Two out of Xisco, Owen and Martins if Owen is fit on Monday, please.

Were you even watching the game? If anyone was giving the ball away freely it was Xisco.

He gives away needless fouls and doesn't understand the offside rule. You wouldn't mind so much if he learned , but the lad is 27 and still makes the same mistakes.

Tbf, Shola was getting penalised just for touching the ball in the last 20 minutes or so.

Guest The Libertine

He was f***ing s**** today as usual. Winning a penalty (thank god he was fouled or he'd have lost the ball) does not excuse giving the ball away for pretty much the rest of the game. Two out of Xisco, Owen and Martins if Owen is fit on Monday, please.

Can I just ask in what ways has Martins been better than Ameobi the last 2-3 games?

we know martins is good enough and we know ameobi isnt. simple as that for me.

saw a diffrent martins to me tonight, i thought he was awful.

i meant in general. ameobi has done well for half of 3 games but he's just not good enough. martins can get 15+ a season and that, for us, is good enough.

He was f***ing s**** today as usual. Winning a penalty (thank god he was fouled or he'd have lost the ball) does not excuse giving the ball away for pretty much the rest of the game. Two out of Xisco, Owen and Martins if Owen is fit on Monday, please.

Can I just ask in what ways has Martins been better than Ameobi the last 2-3 games?

Wasn't awful in my opinion anyway. He did some real dodgy things today, but his pace was very useful along Jonas and Duff imo. He really looked up for the second half too, but we decided not to attack that half.

BTW...that penalty was terrible defending. There was absolutely no reason for Donk to make that challenge. But still fair play to Shola. He's been alright.

i meant in general. ameobi has done well for half of 3 games but he's just not good enough. martins can get 15+ a season and that, for us, is good enough.

It's what's happening now what important to us, and at the minute, Ameobi has scored as many as Martins, in far fewer minutes.

Does anyone here think it was the right decision to keep him on instead of Martins?

I didn't think so. Would have preferred if either Oba or Jonas stayed on so we had some form of a counter.

It's what's happening now what important to us, and at the minute, Ameobi has scored as many as Martins, in far fewer minutes.

Not really

And been a lot more effective in his specific role I might add.

Does anyone here think it was the right decision to keep him on instead of Martins?

Yep

Martins played fucking shite, like normal and ameobi played excellent, won every header and his passing was brilliant.

Minutes played: Martins 379, Ameobi: 444

Yep

Martins played f***ing s****, like normal and ameobi played excellent, won every header and his passing was brilliant.

you're mad, Ameobi's performance after the first 20 minutes wasn't worthy of a league 2 player

Yep

Martins played fucking shite, like normal and ameobi played excellent, won every header and his passing was brilliant.

...in the first half.

West Brom were wide open to the counter attack and we took off all our pacy players and resorted to hoofing it long to shola and Xisco.

Hats off to Duffer - he was the only player who seemed to put his foot on the ball. You could see him trying to urge the other players to push up as the others were content sitting deep on the edge of the box.

Yep

...in the first half.

He had support in the first half.

Guest The Libertine

in your honest opinion, will ameobi's "form" last? will martins score more than him this season?

the quicker we can get ameobi out, the better imo.

Yep

...in the first half.

He had support in the first half.

Fair enough. Lack of support doesn't excuse some of the mistakes he made after the break though.

He dithers on the ball too much instead of hitting at goal some times.  Needs to be more spontaneous as he seems to lose it he holds on to it too long.  He also over-hit a few times.  Grr.

Guest The Libertine

Yep

the long ball game suits ameobi (after the fouls, offsides etc) and it doesnt suit martins. if we played a ground game, ameobi is fucked.

Minutes played: Martins 379, Ameobi: 444

I've worked it out as Martins 475, to Ameobi 419.

Yep

Martins played f***ing s****, like normal and ameobi played excellent, won every header and his passing was brilliant.

you're mad, Ameobi's performance after the first 20 minutes wasn't worthy of a league 2 player

What was Xisco's then? I'd like to see Xisco succeed as much as anyone by the way, but frankly speaking Xisco was just... bad.

Duff was probably our worst player the first 70 minutes, but then he somehow when no attacking footballer was on our side on the pitch he made forward runs and looked confident, but that was just the remaining 20 minutes when rest of the team was shit.

Ameobi was horrible second half, but first half he didnt do much wrong and got us a penalty and made two great passes into the box, one which martins couldnt follow up and the other which Beye hit to the moon.