The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

The reason I still believe in what Shola has to offer isn't so much the goal, which was a bit spawny, but that moment after an hour when he had the ball on the left hand edge of their penalty area, and beat his man with a really sharp change of direction. He fired in a cross which would have been a goal if we'd had Owen reading the game rather than Martins.

Shola will drive you mad when he falls over the ball with his gangly legs, but once or twice a game he'll open things up for you, regardless of the quality of the opposition.

I also thought he did well as a target man tonight. Mr Dunne has the bruises to prove it.

The Walker Zico did okay but he is one lazy b******.

I only really appreciated how effective he'd been when he was replaced by the lumbering Carroll.

I watched the game with me dad & when Shola plays it is like a lesson in random local non-league teams: "He wouldn't get a game for Walker Celtic" & it goes on from there Blyth Spartans, Newcastle Benfield, Rising Sun all got a airing.

The reason I still believe in what Shola has to offer isn't so much the goal, which was a bit spawny, but that moment after an hour when he had the ball on the left hand edge of their penalty area, and beat his man with a really sharp change of direction. He fired in a cross which would have been a goal if we'd had Owen reading the game rather than Martins.

Shola will drive you mad when he falls over the ball with his gangly legs, but once or twice a game he'll open things up for you, regardless of the quality of the opposition.

I also thought he did well as a target man tonight. Mr Dunne has the bruises to prove it.

you are also forgetting that sublime pass for duff in the first half.

I used to stick up for Shola a lot a couple of years ago, I think Gejon was another one - before finally giving up. I still don't think he'll produce on a consistent basis but at least tonight gave us a glimpse of what we saw in him back then.  He did a good job tonight and should have got the official MOM.

tonight shows the difference between someone like Shola and Alan Smith.

ameobi's touch and so on might be shite but he actually takes risks and tries to make things happen rather than act like a centre-half whose job is to fight with other players rather than use the ball effectively.

I think in situations like this its important to support everyone pulling on the shirt rather than sniping from the stands like a clever bastard.

My opinion of Shola isn't going to change after tonight. I've always said he's a decent finisher of the ball, but he's a pretty poor footballer overall nowadays. I was all for him being the main man in the 06/07 (Roeder) season, when we brought Martins in and Ameobi was in a cracking run of form, and he was desperately unlucky to get injured at that time.

Other than that though, he's been nowt but poor-to-average for us. Thought he was alright tonight; good finish.

Well done Joe Kinnear!

His one on one sessions with Shola look to be working. From Shola's first challenge with Dunne when he gave him a smack in the mush, Shola showed much more aggression and self belief, and bearing in mind he could only have been half fit I thought the lad played a blinder.

My opinion of Shola isn't going to change after tonight. I've always said he's a decent finisher of the ball, but he's a pretty poor footballer overall nowadays. I was all for him being the main man in the 06/07 (Roeder) season, when we brought Martins in and Ameobi was in a cracking run of form, and he was desperately unlucky to get injured at that time.

Other than that though, he's been nowt but poor-to-average for us. Thought he was alright tonight; good finish.

I thought he was more than that really. He battled well in the air, used his close control (I know that will rankle with some posters) really well. The through ball for Duff in the first half was sublime, and the first touch for his goal was exceptional.

I used to stick up for Shola a lot a couple of years ago, I think Gejon was another one - before finally giving up. I still don't think he'll produce on a consistent basis but at least tonight gave us a glimpse of what we saw in him back then.  He did a good job tonight and should have got the official MOM.

He done ok but let's not get carried away now.

No but at least he reminded us he can be an asset to the squad.

The thing is though, all credit for his performance this evening, but how many times has he done this? Puts in a very good shift then everyone thinks he can turn the corner and then is back to his frustrating best for the next six months until the next one.

Yeah, that's the thing for me. It's Shola - who we've slated and had a bit of a laugh about tbh. Therefore an improved performance means a great performance - that's what it looks like to me. I don't want to slate the guy (and i don't think i am tbh), i'm saying he did alright - i used to rate him quite a bit. But he's still Shola; i still wish he'd gone in the summer and we didn't have his burden on the club.

Took his goal very well, like he has done several times in the past. But he didn't have a sniff at goal all night other than that (and he did have a couple of half chances). And tbf, it was a fucking massive stroke of fortune that he was in the position to score in that situation anyway.

Thought he held the ball up reasonably well and the only other serious bit of quality was the turn and cross for Martins, which admittedly surprised me. The Duff pass was more about the incisive movement from the leprechaun, tbh.

Shola's still never gonna do it for me now, unfortunately.

Giving him credit for one night's decent performance is getting carried away? :lol:

The thing is though, all credit for his performance this evening, but how many times has he done this? Puts in a very good shift then everyone thinks he can turn the corner and then is back to his frustrating best for the next six months until the next one.

I'm going to back Fasheobi to have a good run out against the mackems.