The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

Stop hatin' on Shola!

He has actually been great up front for the last games, and yesterday he was one of our best. the whole team fell down a bit in the 2nd half, and Shola's 2nd wasn't worse than any others. Right now, he's miles ahead of Xisco, who looks slow and off.

All you haters should instead be happy for the club that a lost player has become rather good. For every player that improves, our club gets better!:D

Last night a ball bounced, Shola waited for it, he held his man off, let the ball bounce again, still pushing the man back, put his foot up to trap it, miss controlled it, fell over and lost the ball.

That er... didn't, actually happen did it!

We can never fault his effort, but fkn hell man I bet if stats were checked he gives away more free kicks than any other player in the league.

Its not refs being harsh its Shola just being so fkn clueless when challenging for the ball, will be dropped when Owen is back anyway.

We can never fault his effort, but fkn hell man I bet if stats were checked he gives away more free kicks than any other player in the league.

Its not refs being harsh its Shola just being so fkn clueless when challenging for the ball, will be dropped when Owen is back anyway.

Cant fault his effort, i can,....

his a big clumsy, lazy bastrad,...

He really isn't getting the credit he deserves from the last few games.

I am not in anyway trying to say he is a brilliant player, but credit where credit is due, he's played well the last few games. If someone plays well in a game, they deserve to keep their place in the next, and he has done.

He's up there, being a monster for us in the air, battling every high ball. When he does that, of course he will give away free kicks, but the ball would have been lost anyway if he hadn't been there fighting for it!

He's up there, being a monster for us in the air, battling every high ball. When he does that, of course he will give away free kicks, but the ball would have been lost anyway if he hadn't been there fighting for it!

a monster in the air? Shola?

Shola's been one of our best players in the first halfs of the last three games; winning headers, beating players, making nice turns and passes. In the second halfs he's been one of the absolute worst.

I'd keep him in the starting line-up for Villa, but take him off as soon as he starts to tire (50-60 mins). Otherwise it's like playing with ten men.

Yes, just look at how the defenders hate playing against him, like the way he muscled out Dunne so many times in the City-match. I'm not posting him as a new Duncan in the air( ;D) but for gods sake, give him some credit!

Tbf, he's got a head like a 50p but he was pwning Donk and the other guy throughout the entire first half. (aerially)

Unbelievable, the guy has turned himself around, he's been 1000% better in the last 3 games than he had been. I'm not saying he's been a world beater but his performances have improved vastly on the crap he was producing before. Yet he still gets stick. This is the trouble with a lot of NUFC fans, especially on this board, they have their pre-conceived notions of players, managers etc but will not change them despite any evidence to the countary. These players can do no right in their book.

TBH I think Shola is becoming increasingly pivtol to the way Kinnear wants to play, I'm not saying he wants to play long ball, but he certainly seems to want a big man up front who can ruffle some feathers and at the moment Shola's doing a pretty decent job of that.

I for one am very thankful for his 2 goals and winning a penalty in his last 3 games, don't think we could have expected more of the lad, like I said he's not a world beater.

I'm really wondering if people are seeing the same Shola as I am. Do you lot not see the countless of silly free kicks he gives away, the stupid offsides, the horrible control and first touch and a complete inability to shoot (even his goal was a miss kick)?

Miller can on as a sub for them last night and looked 100% better than Shola.

Miller is far from being a class act, but at least he looked interested. He put the effort in, and has a bit of speed and aggression and a little bit of ability.

Would The Stroller be able to score the goal that Miller did ? I dont think so.

(Wonder if They would swap )

I'm really wondering if people are seeing the same Shola as I am. Do you lot not see the countless of silly free kicks he gives away, the stupid offsides, the horrible control and first touch and a complete inability to shoot (even his goal was a miss kick)?

Yes but I also see him roughing up defenders, winning some aerial battles, showing some nifty footwork and passing, scoring two goals and winning a pen. That's the Shola package good and bad.

Totally agree  :clap:

Yes but I also see him roughing up defenders, winning some aerial battles, showing some nifty footwork and passing, scoring two goals and winning a pen. That's the Shola package good and bad.

Wow Tron's back to talking some sense, good to see it. Of course the haters like to highlight the bad and dismiss the good.

Miller can on as a sub for them last night and looked 100% better than Shola.

Miller is far from being a class act, but at least he looked interested. He put the effort in, and has a bit of speed and aggression and a little bit of ability.

Would The Stroller be able to score the goal that Miller did ? I dont think so.

(Wonder if They would swap )

No he didn't. Most of what he did was pretty average, and apart from his goal which I agree he took very well, he never looked threatening and never created a chance for anyone else.

Guest Howaythetoon

Played well last night I thought, impressive in the air and used his strength well, usual sloppy control and hesitation but he did his job well enough. Had Martins had something between his ears we'd have scored more goals as he constantly misread Shola's knockdowns. The time he didn't and actually got through, the 'keeper saved his shot. There was several moments of play like that which Martins failed to spot.

Played well last night I thought, impressive in the air and used his strength well, usual sloppy control and hesitation but he did his job well enough. Had Martins had something between his ears we'd have scored more goals as he constantly misread Shola's knockdowns. The time he didn't and actually got through, the 'keeper saved his shot. There was several moments of play like that which Martins failed to spot.

Shola is anything but impressive in the air, he gets his head up and the ball just bounces off in any direction.  As for his knockdowns, I'd hold out more hope of getting 6 numbers on the lottery than I would at guessing 6 times where the ball would go after coming in to contact with his head.

He'd need psychic powers to read Ameobi's knock ons as he just gets his head to them and doesn't care where they go.

Shola is anything but impressive in the air, he gets his head up and the ball just bounces off in any direction.  As for his knockdowns, I'd hold out more hope of getting 6 numbers on the lottery than I would at guessing 6 times where the ball would go after coming in to contact with his head.

Absolutely. I'm amazed how many people keep harping about picking up Shola's flick ons as if anyone has a clue which way they'll skew off the top of his head.

He gives away so many stupid  needless free kicks which fucks us up when we are gathering momentum.Also I agree with some of ye who say he doesnt direct his headers.He doesnt even attempt to direct his headers,he just jumps up in the air and lets it hit off his head

Unbelievable, the guy has turned himself around, he's been 1000% better in the last 3 games than he had been. I'm not saying he's been a world beater but his performances have improved vastly on the crap he was producing before. Yet he still gets stick. This is the trouble with a lot of NUFC fans, especially on this board, they have their pre-conceived notions of players, managers etc but will not change them despite any evidence to the countary. These players can do no right in their book.

TBH I think Shola is becoming increasingly pivtol to the way Kinnear wants to play, I'm not saying he wants to play long ball, but he certainly seems to want a big man up front who can ruffle some feathers and at the moment Shola's doing a pretty decent job of that.

I for one am very thankful for his 2 goals and winning a penalty in his last 3 games, don't think we could have expected more of the lad, like I said he's not a world beater.

Nail on head.

He'd need psychic powers to read Ameobi's knock ons as he just gets his head to them and doesn't care where they go.

Precog you mean :D