Is Top Level European Football Boring?

The College Dropout

International football is s****, the teams are thrown together and have no cohesion. In the CL negative play is probably the best way to go in 2 legged games.

Jose and Rafa have suffocated the Champions League.... most teams follow their blueprint.

The best game so far in this championship has been the 2-0 thriller between Germany and Poland.. it will get better.. but i don't think the degree will be drastically better.

I've said European because it seems in the Copa America and ANC there are more goals.

Teams are to shit scared and dont want to go home early so they play cautious football.

Especially in the first group game.

I'll watch them in the hope we see the odd cracker.

I agree with TCD, Jose and Rafa have killed euro football with those shit bollocks tactics, i cant think of a more boring team then Liverpool.

Is that the price of success?

I don't think Rafa Benitez gets enough criticism in England because his team is geared to cup football, and he's won cups. Liverpool get found out in the Premier where their safety first approach means they miss out on points against weaker teams.

Romania will be hard to knock out of this tournament if they get through the group stages, similar to Greece last year.

Teams are to s*** scared and dont want to go home early so they play cautious football.

Especially in the first group game.

I'll watch them in the hope we see the odd cracker.

I agree with TCD, Jose and Rafa have killed euro football with those s*** bollocks tactics, i cant think of a more boring team then Liverpool.

Is that the price of success?

I agree with that. Liverpool are enough to put me to sleep. With some of the players they've got you'd think they'd be a bit more exciting. Also, did anyone else prefer the old format of the Champions League where they would go into a 2nd group phase? I thought it was quite good.

Guest optimistic nit

there seems to be a lack of footballing brains in the france side. there are a lot of athletic players, but i can't see anyone there who can make things happen. they need to bring henry on, provided he's not injured.

I've been starting to sort of think this since the last 16 of the last World Cup, cos every game after the group stages in that was boring as sin. I'd probably agree when you say international football, however we've naturally been jaded due to England's chronic performances for the last few years. Teams are shit scared of losing, and it reflects in tactics.

Were spoiled with the Premiership.

You think so, i think most of the teams are fcking wank. And most of them are happy to kill off/play out a game with negative football.

Martin O'Neill was  priased for making his team hoof long balls up front against us when they beat us 4-1.  They didn't have a fucking clue agaisnt us in the first half.  Second half, "lets lash some long balls up against that Cacapa guy and see what we get"

Not really clever football.

Were spoiled with the Premiership.

You think so, i think most of the teams are fcking wank. And most of them are happy to kill off/play out a game with negative football.

Agree with this. Bolton at SJP last season was a joke.

Martin O'Neill was  priased for making his team hoof long balls up front against us when they beat us 4-1.  They didn't have a f***ing clue agaisnt us in the first half.  Second half, "lets lash some long balls up against that Cacapa guy and see what we get"

Not really clever football.

Well its certainly not attractive but you can't deny there's logic behind O'Neill playing like that when we've got someone on such inconsistent defensive form as Cacapa. He'd be a fool not to try and exploit that weakness tbh.

Guest Stephen927

Its not clever football tho is it?

What do you mean by clever football? In that instance, he exploited a huge weakness of ours and it got them the win. Clever in the sense that it got them the 3 points and that was all that was needed.

What truly makes top level European football boring is the obvious lack of proper underdogs. I mean the teams that nobody fancies a chance in games but still gives 110% for  their team trying to get a win and pushes their opponent into playing actual attractive football to make sure they don't lose to a lesser team. Even though the likes of France and Italy are great big nations, I'd think it'd be more fun to watch a final between an underdog and either France or Italy, than a final between France and Italy as both teams would be too afraid to attack in case they'd fall behind.