Newcastle United - "where players come to die"

Stu

Guest shearer_united

I too have heard the phrase a couple of times.

I think it has more to do with getting the right players and using them effectively in a squad - making a lot use of a certain player's position.

Though I agree that some players that were brought to Newcastle were bad choices - Prime examples: Luque and Boumsong.

Guest Heneage

Shearers career went down hill as well.

Sorry but why is it "The clubs fault" these players did not perform? Had i failed my GCSE's would i have said "Well its this school its where kids go to die".

Can't really argue that past events post-2004 may have created this reputation from the outside, whether it is us killing the player, or by us just signing players that didn't have the proper motivation.

Recently, we've signed the likes of Beye and Enrique who have tried to suceed here, and have a good chance of doing so. Even players like Rozehnal who didn't settle have escaped mostly undamaged.

We just need to progress like this for a couple of years, and people will forget about all that and remember Robson and Keegan Mk I (and hopefully Mk II)

we just buy players from other clubs like anybody else ffs

What a bloody thread.

Yes, but you can buy the right players and you can buy the wrong players, and the personnel at the club affect the club's reputation on the outside. Since 2004 we have had more bad buys than good buys and this has given us a bad reputation.

This is no dig at anyone in particular, but our transfer policy in recent years has been unsuccessful and this is reflected in the league tables.

Can't really argue that past events post-2004 may have created this reputation from the outside, whether it is us killing the player, or by us just signing players that didn't have the proper motivation.

Recently, we've signed the likes of Beye and Enrique who have tried to suceed here, and have a good chance of doing so. Even players like Rozehnal who didn't settle have escaped mostly undamaged.

We just need to progress like this for a couple of years, and people will forget about all that and remember Robson and Keegan Mk I (and hopefully Mk II)

What a bloody thread.

Yes, but you can buy the right players and you can buy the wrong players, and the personnel at the club affect the club's reputation on the outside. Since 2004 we have had more bad buys than good buys and this has given us a bad reputation.

This is no dig at anyone in particular, but our transfer policy in recent years has been unsuccessful and this is reflected in the league tables.

"unsuccessful" in terms of judgement, but not necessarily policy.

There is a difference

Guest Ebolarama

Tommy Burns worked at Newcastle.  Didn't die here though, did he?  Where?  Celtic.  Exactly.

Stunning maturity.

While watching the football the other night, a Celtic-supporting friend was engaging in the usual anti-toon banter and came up with the witty phrase "Newcastle United is where players go to die" citing Duff and Owen as examples...

...then he continued with Geremi, Barton, Boumsong, Butt, Luque, Bramble, Carr, Babayaro, Emre, Viana, Moore, Viduka, Smith, Rozenhal....and you began to think maybe he had a point. To counter it, I could only think of N'Zogbia, Martins and Jenas who hadn't seen their careers stall/plummet since signing in black and white - which is pretty awful. It can't just be about the manager's choice of signings, as these were spread out over three or four managers, is it the 'pressure'?

It also can't just be that player x had a poor attitude, or was "just here to collect his wages" - this may be the case for one or two people, but surely the same mistake couldn't have been made over and over again? When was the last time someone's career really went somewhere with NUFC? Bellamy springs to mind, but even then we managed to cock that one up. The likes of Cole and Hamman are the players who have gone somewhere after leaving NUFC, while Shearer and Speed carved out respectable careers while at the club.

Thankfully, despite St James' being the resting place for many a career, at least we're not Wigan (purgatory).

I have also heard things along these lines from other people and it's hard to argue against considering recent history. Duff for example, how has he managed to lose it so much that he is as shite as he is now?

Sorry but why is it "The clubs fault" these players did not perform? Had i failed my GCSE's would i have said "Well its this school its where kids go to die".

Of course not, but if the majority of kids failed their GCSEs then the parents/LEA would start to think that there was something wrong with the school.

I only mentioned that he supports Celtic so that people wouldn't automatically assume that it was a 'rival' fan, it's not really relevant who he supports, but the fact that he views Newcastle in this light is a bit worrying.

What a bloody thread.

There is a difference

Aye, but when that policy is consistently underperforming, when does it become unsound?

Jon Dahl Tomasson is the best one. Great before AND after Newcastle. Didn't just die, but had a bloody resurrection.

Circumstances did Tomasson in, wasn't really his fault.

Had Shearer not gotten the injury at Goodison then JDT would have played just off Shearer, and had looked very good in that role in a few pre-season games. In the end though he was asked to be our out and out striker, which he's not suited to at all, hence his flop.

Was a shame really, he and a pre-injury Shearer could have been very, very good together.

Jon Dahl Tomasson is the best one. Great before AND after Newcastle. Didn't just die, but had a bloody resurrection.

Had Shearer not gotten the injury at Goodison then JDT would have played just off Shearer, and had looked very good in that role in a few pre-season games. In the end though he was asked to be our out and out striker, which he's not suited to at all, hence his flop.

Was a shame really, he and a pre-injury Shearer could have been very, very good together.

I agree, we never really saw Tomasson at his best because one single injury blew Plan A out of the window.

Plan B was obviously: "Shit! This wasn't supposed to have happened!!"

Of course not, but if the majority of kids failed their GCSEs then the parents/LEA would start to think that there was something wrong with the school.

I only mentioned that he supports Celtic so that people wouldn't automatically assume that it was a 'rival' fan, it's not really relevant who he supports, but the fact that he views Newcastle in this light is a bit worrying.

What a bloody thread.

There is a difference

Aye, but when that policy is consistently underperforming, when does it become unsound?

how much underperformed is what you would call "underperformed"

Be realistic. Personally I would say qualifying pretty regularly for europe and the Champs League isn't so bad, especially as others on this message board are now saying that we aren't any bigger or better than clubs such as Villa, Spurs, Leeds etc. Doesn't that mean we have performed quite well as we've achieved higher league positions and played in europe more than these teams, with presumably good or better directors than what we had ?

What a bloody thread.

There is a difference

how much underperformed is what you would call "underperformed"

Be realistic. Personally I would say qualifying pretty regularly for europe and the Champs League isn't so bad, especially as others on this message board are now saying that we aren't any bigger or better than clubs such as Villa, Spurs, Leeds etc. Doesn't that mean we have performed quite well as we've achieved higher league positions and played in europe more than these teams, with presumably good or better directors than what we had ?

regularly but not he recent past eh ?

I agree, we never really saw Tomasson at his best because one single injury blew Plan A out of the window.

Plan B was obviously: "Shit! This wasn't supposed to have happened!!"

I think Tomassson would have turned out to be very different if he had played alongside Shearer or Sir Les, instead of a complete tosser who just did his own thing and was no help whatsoever to a young lad put into the team at 19 who had never even lived in this country

We've just bought a load of shite as we've not had the right managers in place.

These players were destined to die, we've just killed them quickly, a mercy killing to speak.

Guest elbee909

Tommy Burns worked at Newcastle.  Didn't die here though, did he?  Where?  Celtic.  Exactly.

Stunning maturity.

Muh muh, maturity shmurity.  He started it!

And what about all the people who've died from ebola?  I'm sure they'll love your username.  Even though they're dead, I'm sure someone will say it causes offence, yawn.

Guest Heneage

Tomasson was bad management, we told a 19 year old "Go out and be our main striker" Imagine doing that to Andy Carroll.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Celtic and Rangers are where players go when they want to make sure they finish their career with some kind of a medal to show for their efforts.

And thats not a compliment to either Celtic or Rangers

Well they wouldn't come to Newcastle to get some kind of medal.