Champions League participation vs winning the League Cup

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nicked from the Modric thread. It's a tough one IMO.

The Champions League is the pinnacle of club football, and it significantly improves finances and status, hopefully allowing a club to grow over time. But assuming we were not going to win it, would you swap that for actually winning something?

Football is all about winning things, isn't it?

A trophy would be nice and the Toon would be jumping for the parade.

But for me its all about the memories, and playing the Keegan way or in the CL under SBR is more satisfying than winning the league cup.

But then we'd need a team able to compete in the CL or which stood a good chance of winning the UEFA otherwise whats the point in entering?

Might feel differently if it was the league mind.

A trophy would be nice and the Toon would be jumping for the parade.

But for me its all about the memories, and playing the Keegan way or in the CL under SBR is more satisfying than winning the league cup.

But then we'd need a team able to compete in the CL or which stood a good chance of winning the UEFA otherwise whats the point in entering?

Might feel differently if it was the league mind.

We all know finishing fourth in the league doesn't necessarily mean you are able to compete for winning the CL.

I've singled out the League Cup and not winning the CL as I think it's a much harder dilemma than involving other competitions/outcomes.

Guest BigAl2

Champions League bigger profile, more money and if we are playing CL football it will attract more players than winning the League cup.

Guest Stephen927

Participation in the Champions League. It would lead to being able to attract a higher calibre of player, financially it would be fantastic, and its more long term and could lead to being involved in the Champions League in future seasons.

Whilst winning a trophy would be good, it would be a week or so of constant celebration then nothing, whilst if we were in the Champions League, although we might not necessarily win or even make it past the group stage, we would have raised the clubs profile and if we were in it for consecutive seasons, it would be very benficial financially.

Cup all day long for me, yes it's short term and aside from qualifying for Europe wouldn't bring much glory and yes no-one else would give a toss but it'd mean the world to me to see my football team winning some silveware. Not only for me but for the hoardes of people who have supported us for many a year without seeing us win anything of note.(1st division excluded).

Edit: Plus we've already done the CL and winning the LC and getting in the UEFA would be a good step on building towards getting back in the CL.

CL or trophy?

I'm going to say playing in the Champions League, in the hope that it would eventually lead to the latter.

The Champions League is such an illustrious competition, to be playing in it every week against the likes of Barcelona, AC Milan, Real Madrid etc. is just too good of an opportunity to not have.

It's playing the sorts of games you want to be a part of, it lasts for months (even if you don't win it!) while the League Cup would be a great day, a good week, an exciting month at a stretch but would be over soon.

It would attract the big players back to the club again and we'd be building a force which would eventually lead us to winning trophies anyway.

Has to be the Champions' League these days.

A trophy, man! Think about it! Actually winning a final at Wembley!

The League Cup, though?

I know we're not really in any position to be snobby, but howay man. You just know with NUFC when we do eventually break the duck it will be in some style.

If we're in the CL it means we've finished top four, that's the bigger/more important achievement these days unfortunately.

Has to be the Champions' League these days.

A trophy, man! Think about it! Actually winning a final at Wembley!

The League Cup, though?

I know we're not really in any position to be snobby, but howay man. You just know with NUFC when we do eventually break the duck it will be in some style.

If we're in the CL it means we've finished top four, that's the bigger/more important achievement these days unfortunately.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5558/cupwj4.jpg

It's so shiny!