World Player Of The Year

Tooj

Now I know it's a bit early for such a thing, but these awards usually do tend to be decided already around this time of year for whatever reason, apart from perhaps Ronaldo getting it in '96. Cristiano's a shoe in for the award and does deserve it, I may not think he's the best around but going by form he definitely does deserve to win it.

Guest LucaAltieri

Yeah, Ronaldo... he's popular, plays for one of the big clubs, Portugal are doing well, champions league winner. No contest really. Should have had it last year too.

I'm gonna be the devils advocate here

Yes Ronaldo has been the best player at club level but to win the WPOTY award, one also has to do well at the international level just like past winners. For me Ronaldo has done squat at the international level. Wasn't even prominent in Portugal's quarter finals exit in WC 2006 (except for scoring the last penalty that took us out) and so far in Euro 2008, he is not the most impressive player for Portugal.

If Portugal wins Euros or lose the finals and Ronaldo plays an important part in their achievement, then yes give the award to the boy. Otherwise, might be worth looking at someone who does well in this year's Euros and who has also performed well (though perhaps not to Ronaldo's standard) at club level.

Bottom line, the WPOTY has to do well for both club and international football. 

Yes Ronaldo has been the best player at club level but to win the WPOTY award, one also has to do well at the international level just like past winners. For me Ronaldo has done squat at the international level. Wasn't even prominent in Portugal's quarter finals exit in WC 2006 (except for scoring the last penalty that took us out) and so far in Euro 2008, he is not the most impressive player for Portugal.

If Portugal wins Euros or lose the finals and Ronaldo plays an important part in their achievement, then yes give the award to the boy. Otherwise, might be worth looking at someone who does well in this year's Euros and who has also performed well (though perhaps not to Ronaldo's standard) at club level.

Fair enough, but who would you suggest instead of Ronaldo then?

Ronaldo's been fairly important to Portugal this year, if you're going by stats.

Guest Alex20

Hmm, if Portugal somehow don't make it pas the quarter finals and Holland goes to the finals or even wins it, you reckon the award could be given to Sneijder ? Still, Ronaldo prolly deserves it, though I HATE the prick, ah well.