Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

We've always bought squad players because teams need squad players - some clubs have the academies to get their squad players from there (Arsenal, Liverpool, even Middlesbrough), unfortunately we don't so it's sensible to go for young talent at other clubs who are good enough to come into the team and do a job in case of an injury rather than a foreigner who may not settle or an old hand whose legs have gone. This is even more important now we have seven subs - it was only two or three seasons ago we started a Premiership game with a 4 man bench because we couldn't fill it.

For the record, Shepherd oversaw the arrival of Kevin Gallacher, Diego Gavilan, Daniel Cordone, Lomana Lua Lua, Clarence Acuna, Wayne Quinn, Andy O'Brien, Darren Ambrose... that's just a few under Sir Bobby, I could go on and on and on. All had varying degrees of success and all were squad padding. But Shepherd only ever signed superstars didn't he?

The time to judge the merits of this signing is the 31st August. Until then, it's ridiculous to do so either way. Good luck to the lad, that's all I can say.

take note.

Guest elbee909

I wonder if people would have been as keen on Bentley before he found his feet at Blackburn.  Would they fuck - would have been Arsenal reject etc. etc.  Bit like what people are saying about this Guthrie lad, and without barely seeing him play too.

I wonder if people would have been as keen on Bentley before he found his feet at Blackburn.  Would they fuck - would have been Arsenal reject etc. etc.  Bit like what people are saying about this Guthrie lad, and without barely seeing him play too.

He's played a season in this league and not really done much to shout about. Hardly the same as Bentley is it. The only comparison is that he was let go by one of the top 4. Compare him to Bentley in 3 years when he's one of the best players in the league.

There's a lad from Chelsea called Jack Cork who we should be looking at as a squad player by the way.

I really don't think anyone seriously thinks he will be a David Bentley, not even Pool and Bolton fans think that. You can't force people to be optimistic about this when there is no reason to be.

He's played a season in this league and not really done much to shout about. Hardly the same as Bentley is it. The only comparison is that he was let go by one of the top 4. Compare him to Bentley in 3 years when he's one of the best players in the league.

There's a lad from Chelsea called Jack Cork who we should be looking at as a squad player by the way.

Bentley never pulled up any trees at Norwich though from what I remember at the time.

Guest Sniffer

If you read the liverpool forum there are a lot of fans who'd have preferred to keep Guthrie even though he' only be on the bench. But that's behind gerrrard and mascherano rather than geremi and butt. May be a good deal especially if it's a replacement for Geremi.

Norwich were in the Premier League when Bentley was there iirc.

Guest elbee909

Argh.  It's not the same as if we signed Bentley NOW, no.  But it's not that dissimilar to when Blackburn went and got Bentley.  Bloody hell.

Bentley never pulled up any trees at Norwich though from what I remember at the time.

Well, he was injured for most of his time there, and Worthington still wanted to get him back.

Norwich were in the Premier League when Bentley was there iirc.

Yep, and hardly played because of knee ligament damage. He didn't have the chance (like Guthrie has) to show what he could do.

It's not the same at all.

If you read the liverpool forum there are a lot of fans who'd have preferred to keep Guthrie even though he' only be on the bench. But that's behind gerrrard and mascherano rather than geremi and butt. May be a good deal especially if it's a replacement for Geremi.

Their view doesn't count though remember, because it doesn't tie into the negative one we prefer.

The Bolton fans view does though, so lets use that one instead!

:thup:

Never trust a Liverpool fan.

Never trust a Liverpool fan.

Other than with crowd management, I don't see the problem.

Their view doesn't count though remember, because it doesn't tie into the negative one we prefer.

The Bolton fans view does though, so lets use that one instead!

you're right of course, not too many people have stereotyped or pre-determined views at all  :lol:

All i can say is that when i (rarely) saw him play for Bolton i thought he looked a tidy player. Caught the eye amongst that lot and it made me look him up. No surprise if the general state of play and circumstances of fighting a relegation battle prevented him from relaxing and developing a bit more.

I'm happy enough as i guess we all know he's a punt and hope that he comes good accordingly. I'm sure he's not the limit of KK's ambition.....

Bleh, signing's a signing. From his first stint here I think it's fair to say KK had a pretty good eye for players, and whoever mentioned Rob Lee could be an interesting comparison. We've now got a tight, hard working scouting unit and they've obviously seen something they liked about him. I'll go out on a limb and say he's better than Alan Smith and less likely to miss games due to being in jail than Joey Barton, ergo for the minute it's a squad improvement. I'll give him my full backing when he's on the pitch for us next year.

nobody is saying they won't support the lad when he plays mate

Did I say they wouldn't? Man alive...

Guest Sniffer

Another milner as in the Milner that Benitez or MON would probably be willing to pay 6-7million for? Perhaps they see something in him that we aren't getting out of him?

Bleh, signing's a signing. From his first stint here I think it's fair to say KK had a pretty good eye for players, and whoever mentioned Rob Lee could be an interesting comparison. We've now got a tight, hard working scouting unit and they've obviously seen something they liked about him. I'll go out on a limb and say he's better than Alan Smith and less likely to miss games due to being in jail than Joey Barton, ergo for the minute it's a squad improvement. I'll give him my full backing when he's on the pitch for us next year.

nobody is saying they won't support the lad when he plays mate

Did I say they wouldn't? Man alive...

I never said you did  :lol:

Let's be realistic, for fucks sake!

Do you expect Keegan to see Guthrie as an automatic first team choice in the 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 next season? Of course not! He is a sub/squad player and he is young. He's an investment for the future and good enough to rely on should any of our midfielders get injured.

I really don't see why people are acting like complete idiots.

Another milner as in the Milner that Benitez or MON would probably be willing to pay 6-7million for? Perhaps they see something in him that we aren't getting out of him?

Milner may be the sort of player that thrives in a good side, or at least one that's superior to the opposition and can give him time and space. He may be more use to Liverpool than us.