Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

We also signed top notch players and paid the going rate, which is how we qualified for the Champs League and europe so often.

Competing at the level of the likes of pompey and Blackburn isn't really how I think NUFC should be run. Stand by for years of real mediocrity if thats what you want Dave. The truth is that clubs like Blackburn are currently doing the best of about 40 or 50 teams competing at that level, thats all. Newcastle are bigger than that.

The club did not buy any shite players and definately didn't go backwards did they between 1993 and 2007?

Rather underwhelmed by this signing.  Ashley seems to have adopted the policy the club and the rest of the top flight teams had back in the 60's and 70's - signing Liverpool reserve/fringe players, the reasoning being that as the Liverpool first team was so far ahead of the rest, i.e. numerous league titles, domestic and european trophies, their reserves must by default be at least top flight quality.  You wait, it will be Evans from Manu next then perhaps an Arsenal reserve and dare I say it?  perhaps a spurs cast off too!!!

missed this one, but its spot on based on what we've seen so far. Quite amazing how some people continue to choose not to recognise it just because it means ackonwledging the old board actually did something right and soopa Mike might not be so soopa after all.

Are you suggesting we never signed reserve/fringe players from the top clubs under the previous board? Think carefully before you answer.

We also signed top notch players and paid the going rate, which is how we qualified for the Champs League and europe so often.

Competing at the level of the likes of pompey and Blackburn isn't really how I think NUFC should be run. Stand by for years of real mediocrity if thats what you want Dave. The truth is that clubs like Blackburn are currently doing the best of about 40 or 50 teams competing at that level, thats all. Newcastle are bigger than that.

I didn't spot an answer in there.

If this is the only type of player we sign you'll have a point. As it is, we've also signed a player Portsmouth wanted for £8m and there's six weeks of the window left.

My justified criticism - and answer - is in the first line Dave.

The club did not buy any shite players and definately didn't go backwards did they between 1993 and 2007?

oh dear. Here we go.

Rather underwhelmed by this signing.  Ashley seems to have adopted the policy the club and the rest of the top flight teams had back in the 60's and 70's - signing Liverpool reserve/fringe players, the reasoning being that as the Liverpool first team was so far ahead of the rest, i.e. numerous league titles, domestic and european trophies, their reserves must by default be at least top flight quality.  You wait, it will be Evans from Manu next then perhaps an Arsenal reserve and dare I say it?  perhaps a spurs cast off too!!!

missed this one, but its spot on based on what we've seen so far. Quite amazing how some people continue to choose not to recognise it just because it means ackonwledging the old board actually did something right and soopa Mike might not be so soopa after all.

Are you suggesting we never signed reserve/fringe players from the top clubs under the previous board? Think carefully before you answer.

If this is the only type of player we sign you'll have a point. As it is, we've also signed a player Portsmouth wanted for £8m and there's six weeks of the window left.

So we did indeed sign reserve/fringe players from the top clubs under the previous board. Thanks for confirming it.

So we did indeed sign reserve/fringe players from the top clubs under the previous board. Thanks for confirming it.

Will we sign players who will get us into the top spots again then, with the same manager who did it the last time ?

Will we sign players who will get us into the top spots again then, with the same manager who did it the last time ?

I won't know that until the transfer window closes. You obviously know already?

I won't know that until the transfer window closes. You obviously know already?

you accept that this is the goal then ?

Wtf.. They clearly didn´t or he would have been playing there wouldn´t he Dave? You are aware that was Mallorca´s asking price and no club was willing to match it, so how does that make him worth that amount? You seemed to understand this very same principle in the Arshavin thread..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1034377/Newcastle-agree-fee-Liverpool-Guthrie.html

...captured young Liverpool midfielder Danny Guthrie for £2million.

"Newcastle's spending capabilities were further highlighted when they captured young Liverpool midfielder Danny Guthrie for £2million. Kevin Keegan was dismayed at the amount he was told he could spend by owner  Mike Ashley, believed to be in the region of £20 million, and desperately needs to add bodies to one of the smallest squads in the Barclays Premier League.

He has been forced to re-evaluate his plans and was alerted to Guthrie’s availability when he was offered the player when Rafa Benitez enquired about  James Milner earlier in the summer."

A prize to the person who correctly said that Mike Ashley looking for investors would result in "Newcastle have no money" newspaper stories.

Guest Phil K

While I can symapthise with the feeling of "Oh sh*t ! Another Smith"

Let's give the lad a chance. You never know.

If Guthrie 'does a Sibierski', then he'll have done very well.

The dictionary definition of 'doing a Sibierski' being: to massively overachieve, while performing way above expectations.

Exactly.

Sibierski was a fine example - when he signed, I have to admit I thought "JESUS !!!"

But the lad produced, a LOT more than expected, and out performed some of the darlings of the board - many of them consistent underperformers.

While I can symapthise with the feeling of "Oh sh*t ! Another Smith"

Let's give the lad a chance. You never know.

Does anyone actually think he'll be another Smith though?

He came at least half the price and is probably on at best half Smith's wages. Much rather have him in the squad than Alan Smith.

Guest Jungle Barry

Decent young player for a couple of million, can't really complain. Not as if we're in a position to attract the Lampard/Scholes types

I noticed Jonny Evans was mentioned again, he would be an excellent signing. Bags of potential

If he has been brought here as a first teamer I can see why people are moaning, I don't think that is the case though.

Hopefully the signing of a couple of really exciting players will put this in perspective.

Wtf.. They clearly didn´t or he would have been playing there wouldn´t he Dave? You are aware that was Mallorca´s asking price and no club was willing to match it, so how does that make him worth that amount? You seemed to understand this very same principle in the Arshavin thread..

what now? You've based that opinion on absolutely nothing whereas it was confirmed by the Mallorca that they rejected an £8m bid from Pormstmouth in Jan, so by that pricing it'd be fair to say that maybe he could of been worth more...