Owen opens new contract talks

Dave

Things are certainly looking up and moving forward.

That said; only the frantics, the pessimists and the cynics thought we were moving backward. Glad Owen's committing himself to the club.

Guest gbolem

I don't get it. Why is everyone so chuffed? What's changed?

The fact that the best player at the club has come out and said he wants to stay at the club for longer than his existing contract, when people were starting to get worried he could leave on a free next summer?

Be nice to see him take a pay cut and extend his contract.

He must know even after a pay cut he's never going to get this kind of money off anyone else and his days at a top 4 are numbered. He could move to a better 2nd tier club than ourselves but no one would be willing to pay good money for him, and i doubt NUFC would let him go on the cheap. If were looking at £7-9m for Milner then were going to be looking £10m+ for Owen even in his last year, well considering £3.5m for Ameobi in his last year, it doesn't seem to ridiculous to ask for that.

Owen, Taylor & hopefully Martins signed up, finally sort out Emre & Ameobi's transfers and actively seek to sell Smith & Duff while looking to offload Viduka if possible, then the slate is as clean as were going to get to start again and rebuild the squad.

Still around 5 more bits of deadwood will still be floating around the squad, but that's asking mega change to rid and replace, if the club manage it i'd be ecstatic...but this will do for now as long as we get some bliddy bids in finally.

It's better to have opened talks than to have not opened talks, is it not?

It would have been better to open talks last month IYAM, but it's not like we didn't already know they'd be starting this week.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4053129.ece

The fact that the best player at the club has come out and said he wants to stay at the club for longer than his existing contract, when people were starting to get worried he could leave on a free next summer?

:rolleyes:

Like I said, what's changed?

It's better to have opened talks than to have not opened talks, is it not?

It would have been better to open talks last month IYAM, but it's not like we didn't already know they'd be starting this week.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4053129.ece

Nice to have confirmation from the horse's mouth, I suppose. I don't particularly believe the press any more.

Guest elbee909

Yeah, whatever Michael - if that IS your real name.  Why didn't you come out and say this five minutes before you said it?  Exactly.  Just another attempt to pander to the fans for an extra five minutes.  We all know he'd rather be injured than play football.  And that hat, I bet it houses a poor starving rabbit.  Screw you!

Yeah, whatever Michael - if that IS your real name.  Why didn't you come out and say this five minutes before you said it?  Exactly.  Just another attempt to pander to the fans for an extra five minutes.  We all know he'd rather be injured than play football.  And that hat, I bet it houses a poor starving rabbit.  Screw you!

:lol:

Guest Owen 4 Ever

Finally :celb:

people started to say that he will wait until nobody want him,and then will sign. mackems.gif

But he done it before :celb: