Steve Harper - 15 Years...

Guest FlapjackJoe

Guest FlapjackJoe

Tomorrow will see Steve Harper's 15th anniversary for the club.  He signed for NUFC on 5/7/1993.

Ultimate professional, great servant to the club and with unquestioned loyalty.

Legend.

Distinct lack of any ambition sadly. With the shite that masquerades as an England 'keeper these days he certainly missed the boat.

He's the reason we've won nothing, tbh. Never mind Shepherd, Souness, Allardyce, Dyer, Bowyer...I blame Harper for all the club's ills in the past 15 years. He's like a cancer that runs through the whole body of NUFC.

:rolleyes:

Guest FlapjackJoe

His "lack of ambition" is a good thing for NUFC.

I couldn't care less that he could've become an established keeper at a lower level Premier League team.  Or that he might have had a look-in for England.

Legend for us, personally a big underacheiver.

It seems unusual that he has the drive and determination to make it as a professional footballer, but not the desire to go higher in the game. He could have gone for first team football and made a big push for the England team.

All said, thanks to Steve for some solid service over the last 15 years.

whether he lacks ambition or not, he's been great for us. always find it strange when nufc fans mention his 'lack of ambition' as a negative. he's a good keeper, he does the job well. cant see anyone being rightfully miffed by his lack of ambition, unless you're his dad ???

Lack of ambition or old fashioned dedication to a club ?  Read into it whatever suits.

Either way a very good goalkeeper who could have probably achieved more and as Gunt said may well have had international call ups during a period of no outstanding English keeper.

That said he's got a few years left yet and hopefully they can be successful years for him with NUFC and possibly England.

Guest Jawesome

I just think Harper got very lucky in the fact that so many managers kept him and never used him, therefore he was never classed as 'shit'.

I just think Harper got very lucky in the fact that so many managers kept him and never used him, therefore he was never classed as 's***'.

If only the same was true for the bands you seem to like.

have to say i agree with Crumpy, total lack of ambition.

bobby robson said he was paid extra to sit on the bench and play second fiddle to shay.

stinks of comfort zone ot me.

Make that 3. :nods:

Fuck sake, he's only 33, playing for the club he loves, and seemed to be kevin's first choice (and would be mine). Can't believe people are putting a negative spin on this. The guy is a legend. If I had the choice to play for newcastle but sit on the bench and only come in when necessary, I'd have chosen to bide my time as well. If Newcastle is the club he loves I can totally understand his decision and certainly wouldn't put it down to lack of ambition. Plus if he is only 33, who is to say he wont get a chance for England if he does become first choice. Rant over.

Lacks ambition, nowhere near as good as Shay Given and has been responsible for some right howlers when he has played.

Clown.

The "lacks ambition" bit could be debated, as for the rest you must have been watching a different Steve Harper to the one I have.

Not sure about the England thing like. He's not a bad keeper but he's certainly not a great one either.

115 games in 15 years isn't much of a career to start waxing lyrical about.

Guest neesy111

better than Given, and better for the defence

correct especially now, harper has had 2 excellent seasons, while shay has had 2 nightmare 1's