Tony Green

Tooj

The Greatest

That is all.

fill us in a bit more.

Electric.

Brilliant.

Inspirational.

Saved the team from being relegated single handed.

Skills of beardsley, pace of Bellamy.

I've shook his hand twice, and hope to meet him soon. He was just amazing. Not just in one or two flashes of genius, but his complete 90 minute performances, the effect on other players. Awesome.

It always puzzled me why someone like Clough and Taylor didn't sign him for Derby, I can only put it down to the fact that he had almost lost his career to an achilles injury and Joe Harvey got in first just when he had proved his full fitness after 18 months out of the game.

If the BBC ever screen the 1971 England v Scotland game then you must watch it, he man of the match by a mile, won the award for that game and is probably the only thing that will ever be available to buy.

It always puzzled me why someone like Clough and Taylor didn't sign him for Derby, I can only put it down to the fact that he had almost lost his career to an achilles injury and Joe Harvey got in first just when he had proved his full fitness after 18 months out of the game.

The Blackpool manager at the time was a certain Mr Bob Stokoe, who was determined that, if Green had to go, it was going to be to Newcastle. There were a lot of clubs sniffing around.

The Blackpool manager at the time was a certain Mr Bob Stokoe, who was determined that, if Green had to go, it was going to be to Newcastle. There were a lot of clubs sniffing around.

that is true, yes.

Guest LucaAltieri

Too good for us. He'll probably sign for villa or spurs. We wouldn't have this problem if we'd put a bid in earlier but now he's out of our league.

Remember my dad saw Gazza score against Chelsea (beat 4 or 5 men in the space of a few yards to get us into that mickey mouse tournament at Wembley) and said the only other Newcastle player he'd seen capable of that (and better) was Green.

No wonder my old man hates players like Frank Lampard!

Guest KeithKettleborough

I didn't see him play while he was at the club but remember him playing in a testimonial game a few years after he quit. Although out of condition and a little more rotund, Tony was miles better than anyone on the pitch which included some 1st Division players at the time. I remember thinking to myself that he must have been one hell of a player when he was playing for us.

Too good for us. He'll probably sign for villa or spurs. We wouldn't have this problem if we'd put a bid in earlier but now he's out of our league.

If he was playing today aged 25, we wouldn't get a sniff - even Man Ure would have to pay a record fee tp get him.

• 4 years later...
Guest Geordiesned

never heard of him. LOL!

Ask your dad/grandad/guardian/kidnapper. Never watched him myself but named by many older fans as the greatest NUFC player they've ever seen.

• 1 year later...
Guest firetotheworks

Just been briefly talking to this older bloke that's been going to matches since the '60s. He started talking about the different teams over the years and the good and bad seasons during the '70s.

"I'd have to say that the best player that I've ever seen play for us is Tony Green."

I mentioned that a lot of people have said that about him but had never seen any footage of him and he said "put it this way, as a footballer he was better than Peter Beardsley. It was just unbelievable what he could do with a football, but just didn't have the same physical strength as someone like that."

Honestly, this guy must have been something special considering he only played for us 33 times.