Ashley looking for investors, not buyers

Guest Daishi

Despite being the 54th-richest man in the United Kingdom, with a fortune of about £1.4 billion, according to the Sunday Times Rich List, Ashley wants to follow the example of Queens Park Rangers, where three of the richest men in England - Flavio Briatore, Bernie Ecclestone and Lakshmi Mittal - have joined forces with a view to transforming the fortunes of the Coca-Cola Championship club.

“The QPR model looks very interesting,” Ashley said. “It's something that Newcastle needs to look at. It's got to be able to compete. Newcastle is not something you make a profit on, you have to enjoy and love it. If we had some multibillionaire that wanted a stake in Newcastle, it will help, but sell the club? It's not the same answer.”

backs up Apisith's POV. can't really read this in any other way than him not being willing or able to invest his own money in transfers (possibly sees it as throwing money away). so in a way he is selling the club, only not the whole thing but portions of it.

not the best news.

Despite being the 54th-richest man in the United Kingdom, with a fortune of about £1.4 billion, according to the Sunday Times Rich List, Ashley wants to follow the example of Queens Park Rangers, where three of the richest men in England - Flavio Briatore, Bernie Ecclestone and Lakshmi Mittal - have joined forces with a view to transforming the fortunes of the Coca-Cola Championship club.

“The QPR model looks very interesting,” Ashley said. “It's something that Newcastle needs to look at. It's got to be able to compete. Newcastle is not something you make a profit on, you have to enjoy and love it. If we had some multibillionaire that wanted a stake in Newcastle, it will help, but sell the club? It's not the same answer.”

backs up Apisith's POV. can't really read this in any other way than him not being willing or able to invest his own money in transfers (possibly sees it as throwing money away). so in a way he is selling the club, only not the whole thing but portions of it.

not the best news.

Ssshh, he´s just got legend status in many fans´ eyes because of saying he hates Spurs..

But, why would he speak to a L O C A L evening rag in London??

Compared to the Ronnie, the Standard is a major newspaper.

Having lived in Cockneyland for many (many) years - I am aware that it is an even worse local than the Chronicle.  A "major" newspaper - oh for goodness sake!!!!

aye, the ES is a bit of a joke down there, hateful stuck-up daily mail politics and a small readership compared to the size of the city.

not the best news.

Ssshh, he´s just got legend status in many fans´ eyes because of saying he hates Spurs..

You take things too seriously.

not the best news.

You take things too seriously.

Love you too..

not the best news.

He says we've 'got to be able to compete'. However he chooses to do that (he clearly says he isn't looking to sell the club), is it not good news for us that he wants us at the top instead of plodding along?

He admits we're not a money-making machine, and the only thing is to make us win things for the hell of it. Isn't that a good thing for fans, that he suggests he wants us to be successful for 'love', rather than to cream off the money he stands to make if we are?

not the best news.

He says we've 'got to be able to compete'. However he chooses to do that (he clearly says he isn't looking to sell the club), is it not good news for us that he wants us at the top instead of plodding along?

He admits we're not a money-making machine, and the only thing is to make us win things for the hell of it. Isn't that a good thing for fans, that he suggests he wants us to be successful for 'love', rather than to cream off the money he stands to make if we are?

i want us to be successful too, and like ashley i'm not going to be giving the club £100m for transfers. it doesnt matter how much he wants us to be successful if he doesn't back that desire with cash. that he is looking for others to share the burden suggests he is not going to put his hand in his pocket, and seeing how unlikely it is that we'd have investors in place before the end of the summer, it is also bad news for this transfer window.

someone said ashley is 'only' worth £1.4billion so is not an abramovich and we shouldn't expect him to be one. why not? thaksin at city is worth considerably less and is spending like mad (not that id want him here) gaydamak at Pompey is worth far, far, far less and they have spent a fair bit. since the end of last season we've spent pretty much zero, in fact with rozehnal left we may have made a profit on transfers. so far Ashley's done fuck all and these quotes suggest that he won't be doing that much more in the near future.

also, if you can't make money at newcastle, why would anyone invest in the club? either he is looking for billionaires who don't want to make money but who also don't want to outright own a football club (anyone?), or, more likely, he is looking for people who can put in cash in order to get more out of the club further on down the line (ie, we're not being run just as a hobby but as a business that sometimes needs to cut costs by doing things like making players by their own suits).

Guest shaun11177

Weird stuff you would think Ashley was down to his last penny. He sold a stake in Sports World for 929m-has spent about 229 on Newcastle all of which he will get back if he sells. So whats the 700m he had left doing.

He wants an investor who is only going to want 49% of the club max because he doesnt want to lose control-who is going to put money in the club, said investor especially those New York guys are not going to do that unless they get a big return.

Ashley would have a better chance of attracting investment if the team improved a bit

The Telegraph expands on it a bit more..

Amid speculation that there have been discussions between his representatives and American private equity fund InterMedia Partners - and, more intriguingly, the Saudi Binladin Group, Ashley said: "I am keen to have partners in Newcastle. That's a very expensive seat I sit in. I think I'll start with people from Newcastle.

"It's not as if I'm going to go and see Bin in a cave in Afghanistan and say, 'good morning, come and sit next to me. Is that a rucksack you've got with you? Oh, good'."

The Saudi-based Binladin Group, run by Osama bin Laden's half-brother, Bakr bin Laden, distanced themselves from the Al-Qaeda founder some years ago.

Ashley's Sports Direct empire, which was floated in March last year, reported that profits for the year to April had halved after a drop in sales attributed in part to poor weather last summer and England's failure to qualify for the finals of Euro 2008.

advertisement

The chairman said he was keen for Newcastle fans to invest alongside him in the club. "A proportion of Newcastle for Newcastle fans would make a lot of sense. If anyone wants to buy one per cent of Newcastle they can buy at the same price as me. I don't care if 100 guys want to club together to buy 0.1 per cent. Newcastle have got to be able to compete."

The famously reticent Ashley's comments are an attempt to counter months of speculation that he could make a quick profit on the club and get out.

He said: "I think last year, we were on the Titanic and still dancing with the band. This year will be different."

Brilliant.

The chairman said he was keen for Newcastle fans to invest alongside him in the club. "A proportion of Newcastle for Newcastle fans would make a lot of sense. If anyone wants to buy one per cent of Newcastle they can buy at the same price as me. I don't care if 100 guys want to club together to buy 0.1 per cent. Newcastle have got to be able to compete."

sounds like SJH's scheme to sell shares to loyal geordies. keegan didnt stick around to see it happen...

He said: "I think last year, we were on the Titanic and still dancing with the band. This year will be different."

Brilliant.

hah, loved that part.

Show me the money mikey!

also supposed quotes related to QPR's situation:

http://qprreport.blogspot.com/2008/07/newcastles-chairman-wants-to-emulate.html

Ashley, who bought the club 14 months ago for £137 million, also denied rumours that he is a Tottenham Hotspur supporter. “It's not true,” he said. “I absolutely hate Spurs and always have done.”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

sounds like SJH's scheme to sell shares to loyal geordies. keegan didnt stick around to see it happen...

It sounds nothing like becoming a plc so no need for the drama.

also supposed quotes related to QPR's situation:

http://qprreport.blogspot.com/2008/07/newcastles-chairman-wants-to-emulate.html

Ashley, who bought the club 14 months ago for £137 million, also denied rumours that he is a Tottenham Hotspur supporter. “It's not true,” he said. “I absolutely hate Spurs and always have done.”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

:lol:

^ Posted the page before.

The Sun are naturally taking this as Ashley saying he needs the extra investment, and that Keegan "can forget about splashing the cash this Summer".

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1407422.ece

MIKE ASHLEY has admitted for the first time he needs new cash in Newcastle’s boardroom.

SunSport exclusively revealed on Friday the billionaire Toon owner has been in talks over a deal to sell the club to New York-based private equity firm Intermedia Partners.

The Americans pulled out after being quoted a £420million asking price. But, after profits in his Sports Direct empire crashed 51 PER CENT during a shocking financial year, Ashley realises he cannot afford to run Newcastle on his own.

He paid £137m to buy the club from Freddy Shepherd last year and took on around £80m of debts.

Ashley continues to deny he plans to sell — although the Saudi Bin Laden Group, whose chief is al-Qaeda leader Osama’s half-brother, are also interested.

But last night the Toon supremo admitted: “I would say I am keen to have partners in Newcastle.

“That’s a very expensive seat I sit in.

“I think I’ll start with people from Newcastle, though . . . and not in some cave in Afghanistan.”

Sports Direct has just endured the toughest year in its history — thanks in part to England’s failure to qualify for Euro 2008 hitting shirt sales.

And that has been a hammer blow for boss Kevin Keegan’s hopes of launching a substantial spree.

Ashley has already started cutting costs at St James’ Park while upping some season-ticket prices.

Top-earner Michael Owen wants a new deal but is being told to take a cut on his £100,000-a-week wages.

Fans hoped Keegan would have at least £50m to spend on new players. But the Toon boss has been told to forget splashing the cash this summer.

realise this will incur the wrath of the prozac nation on here but this really, really worries me - perhaps what should worry me most about the whole thing is that our owner made a statement that FS would have been hung for yet everyones laughing their arse off 'cause its about arabs and that's alright apparently, half of these people are the same people slating the sun/mail etc... for their shit, right wing london bias reporting

staggering really

but what worries me most is what the whole things about, him hunting for investors and advertising it now, when we need players on the pitch and his executive team are allegedly hunting aroud behind sofas in dubai for cash; i realise it's a big leap to make but depending how you read between the lines it suggests we're not gonna spend doesn't it?  until he gets some outside investment, that's how i'm taking it anyhow until i'm proven otherwise and basically that's what i've been wanting all along with ashley

still not convinced they proved fuck all with the modric bid that gets bandied about like street cred for mike ashley

so for dave et al when do you start worrying lads?  pre-season has started, there's a month to the season and we're in a defecit with player movements to the tune of what, 3-4?  by my count the conservative assesment was this summer we'd get 4 (hopefully 5) first teamers in and the same amount of younger players to push for the first team, got some work to do eh boys?

Of course they've still got some work to do and they've got more than enough time to do it in. A lot of clubs haven't done much yet either. If you want to ignore the Modric angle than that's your problem.

I think we'll start seeing a lot more movement on the player front within the next two weeks. I'll get more and more impatient after that if we don't. I'm sure the club are working as hard as possible to improve the squad though, things just really aren't that easy at the end of the day.

Of course they've still got some work to do and they've got more than enough time to do it in. A lot of clubs haven't done much yet either. If you want to ignore the Modric angle than that's your problem.

I think we'll start seeing a lot more movement on the player front within the next two weeks. I'll get more and more impatient after that if we don't. I'm sure the club are working as hard as possible to improve the squad though, things just really aren't that easy at the end of the day.

so you've answered my question, couple of weeks and you start getting impatient, fine

i'll choose to "ignore" the modric bid if you choose to "ignore" things just don't seem to be adding up man, they just don't to me

could go on and on again about how other clubs don't need as much work as us and citing them as examples isn't really useful...we've a shitter, weaker, more expensive squad than the clubs we want to rival ergo we have more work than them to do?  no?

The thing is for me, I'd expect to see £30m-40m spent this summer just on the back of ST/TV money - it was anything else then I'd put it down to "ambition injection". If we're not even going to spend that then next season is another write-off.

The thing is for me, I'd expect to see £30m-40m spent this summer just on the back of ST/TV money - it was anything else then I'd put it down to "ambition injection". If we're not even going to spend that then next season is another write-off.

this