A New Rob Lee

Guest DazzaNufc1892

Aye thats a good call Dazza. I was gutted when Parker left for the Spammers, he was a very honest and hard-working player. He was always going to struggle when he had Glenn Roeder as manager, Nicky Butt as his CM partner and carrying a captaincy he wasnt able for.

We never replaced Gary Speed. Sadly the clubs idea of his replacement was Lee Bowyer. We never replaced Rob Lee properly as well.

But yeah, under KK I think he would be a quality player. Especially with the right midfield partnership. Cant ever see him coming back though.

Problem though is that Parker is horribly limited in possession. Can't pick a pass to save his life and has an appalling first touch. Comparing him to Rob Lee is absolutely absurd in the extreme.

At best he could have been a decent holding midfielder, very good energy about him and well able to tackle and close people down. Lacks a good enough reading of the game to ever be top class in that position, but he good have been pretty decent.

Unfortunately either he or Roeder got it into their heads that he could be our box-to-box, driving force playmaker in midfield, which is a truly laughable concept, given his aforementioned fucking uselessness going forward.

spot on

Aye thats a good call Dazza. I was gutted when Parker left for the Spammers, he was a very honest and hard-working player. He was always going to struggle when he had Glenn Roeder as manager, Nicky Butt as his CM partner and carrying a captaincy he wasnt able for.

We never replaced Gary Speed. Sadly the clubs idea of his replacement was Lee Bowyer. We never replaced Rob Lee properly as well.

But yeah, under KK I think he would be a quality player. Especially with the right midfield partnership. Cant ever see him coming back though.

Problem though is that Parker is horribly limited in possession. Can't pick a pass to save his life and has an appalling first touch. Comparing him to Rob Lee is absolutely absurd in the extreme.

At best he could have been a decent holding midfielder, very good energy about him and well able to tackle and close people down. Lacks a good enough reading of the game to ever be top class in that position, but he good have been pretty decent.

Unfortunately either he or Roeder got it into their heads that he could be our box-to-box, driving force playmaker in midfield, which is a truly laughable concept, given his aforementioned f***ing uselessness going forward.

spot on

i dont think rob lees passing was all that good (in that team only sellars had the slide rule) but he aswell as the rest had that many options to play a 10/20yd pass to a man in space.

Unfortunately either he or Roeder got it into their heads that he could be our box-to-box, driving force playmaker in midfield, which is a truly laughable concept, given his aforementioned f***ing uselessness going forward.

spot on

i dont think rob lees passing was all that good (in that team only sellars had the slide rule) but he aswell as the rest had that many options to play a 10/20yd pass to a man in space.

don't disagree. maybe the key difference was mentality, lee usually tried to pass it forward and parker almost never did. also think lee had a better touch on the ball and could take it past people more easily, a consequence of starting out as a winger.

spot on

don't disagree. maybe the key difference was mentality, lee usually tried to pass it forward and parker almost never did. also think lee had a better touch on the ball and could take it past people more easily, a consequence of starting out as a winger.

started out as a forward at charlton didn't he ? (posssibly wrong). parker would have tried to pass forward more had a move been on to do it...it's the david batty argument under dalglish.. agree about lee having a better touch and had the ability to go past the oppo.

Nicko off the Blackburn forum told me Booker T got the idea for the Spinarooni from watching Scott Parker play.

Not sure how much truth is in that like.

shit...missed tonights 11pm bulletin....what's he say ?

• 6 months later...

25 January 2009

ROB LEE: IT PAINS ME TO SAY IT BUT THE CLUB THAT I LOVE COULD EASILY GO DOWN

EXCLUSIVE TOON TURMOIL All hands on deck in major battle to save the Tyne-tanic

By Alan Oliver

If Toon legend Rob Lee didn't realise how bad it had become he does now.

"I never thought I would live to see and hear Newcastle fans singing 'We are s**** and we know we are'. Never!" said the former player who typified the class, style and steel so sadly lacking at his beloved club now.

Lee was also stunned when he read in PEOPLE SPORT last week that Joe Kinnear blamed predecessors Kevin Keegan an

"Joe Kinnear knew the score and the situation and if there had not been major problems at the club he would not have got the job," said Lee. "Kevin Keegan also knew the situation but he could not get the players he wanted and this was one reason he left."

Kinnear forgets that the squad he inherited from big Sam has 14 full internationals. However former England international Lee concedes: "Newcastle do have a thin squad compared with other Premier League clubs but they still have plenty of quality players.

"I hate to think what will happen if they lose their best two - Shay Given and Michael Owen. But I don't blame Shay for wanting to go, because Newcastle United is not a place you would want to be at the moment. When Scott Parker was thinking of joining Newcastle I advised him to go because it was a fantastic club.

"But I could not and would not advise anybody to go there in the current circumstances. While there are so many problems off the field nothing will change on it.

"Newcastle need quality players but it does not look as if the money is there for them. Not only can they not compete with the top four for players but they are behind the likes of Aston Villa and Spurs and this shows just how far they have fallen.

"In any case if you were to ask me if a quality player would go to St James' Park I would have to say no.

"It pains me to say it but my old team could easily go down. Their next fixtures against Man City, West Brom and Sunderland are not easy games. Then they have the big boys. Newcastle must pull together or they're in big trouble."

Lee - described by Keegan as his best ever buy as Newcastle manager - is 43 next Sunday, the day they play Sunderland.

He says: "Even at my age I still feel fit enough to get into the Newcastle team."

Guest diddimz

He says: "Even at my age I still feel fit enough to get into the Newcastle team."

Would still be our best option as well

ROB LEE: IT PAINS ME TO SAY IT BUT THE CLUB THAT I LOVE COULD EASILY GO DOWN

EXCLUSIVE TOON TURMOIL All hands on deck in major battle to save the Tyne-tanic

If Toon legend Rob Lee didn't realise how bad it had become he does now.

"I never thought I would live to see and hear Newcastle fans singing 'We are s**** and we know we are'. Never!" said the former player who typified the class, style and steel so sadly lacking at his beloved club now.

Lee was also stunned when he read in PEOPLE SPORT last week that Joe Kinnear blamed predecessors Kevin Keegan and Sam Allardyce for leaving him with a "relegation squad".

"Joe Kinnear knew the score and the situation and if there had not been major problems at the club he would not have got the job," said Lee. "Kevin Keegan also knew the situation but he could not get the players he wanted and this was one reason he left."

Kinnear forgets that the squad he inherited from big Sam has 14 full internationals. However former England international Lee concedes: "Newcastle do have a thin squad compared with other Premier League clubs but they still have plenty of quality players.

"I hate to think what will happen if they lose their best two - Shay Given and Michael Owen. But I don't blame Shay for wanting to go, because Newcastle United is not a place you would want to be at the moment. When Scott Parker was thinking of joining Newcastle I advised him to go because it was a fantastic club.

"But I could not and would not advise anybody to go there in the current circumstances. While there are so many problems off the field nothing will change on it.

"Newcastle need quality players but it does not look as if the money is there for them. Not only can they not compete with the top four for players but they are behind the likes of Aston Villa and Spurs and this shows just how far they have fallen.

"In any case if you were to ask me if a quality player would go to St James' Park I would have to say no.

"It pains me to say it but my old team could easily go down. Their next fixtures against Man City, West Brom and Sunderland are not easy games. Then they have the big boys. Newcastle must pull together or they're in big trouble."

Lee - described by Keegan as his best ever buy as Newcastle manager - is 43 next Sunday, the day they play Sunderland.

A good many of the Toon Army wish he still was.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=rob-lee-it-pains-me-to-say-it-but-the-club-that-i-love-could-easily-go-down%26method=full%26objectid=21069938%26siteid=93463-name_page.html