Season ticket sales dwindling?

Guest BooBoo

Guest Geordiesned

I know quite a few people who are not renewing and the reason that most have given is that they're unhappy that in order to get a price freeze on their season tickets they have to sign up for 3 seasons. They feel with the current lack of incoming players to strengthen the squad 1 or 2 of those seasons may be in the Championship. They basically feel that the club are treating them shabbily.

It's revealing how Shepherd got a bad rap for buying players and making promises just to get ST renewals and now some are refusing to renew because those promises aren't there this time. Looks like he had a spot on judgement of how to keep sales.

Amongst the people I know, there seems to be two main reasons why many are not renewing their tickets,  and why no-one who doesn't already have a season ticket are even thinking of getting one . . .

(1) Many have had the 'stuffing' knocked out of them by Keegan officially and formally declaring (whether we 'suspected' it already or not) that we are a "second rank" club, and can only compete for 5th spot in the league, at the most.  The "official" lowering of our status from only a short while ago, has finished many people.

IN SHORT - PEOPLE FEEL AWFUL AT BEING TOLD THEY ARE SECOND CLASS.

(2) We were bought by a billionaire (to take us into the big league again, as you need to be owned by a billionaire these days to really be able to afford to compete) and then he refuses to spend the money needed to compete. This seems to be a 'bizarre contradiction' to most of my friends. People know he has paid off a lot of club debt, but to only buy a couple of 'unknowns' (to date) and only be linked with other similar level players (and to probably not even get them) is very demoralising.

IN SHORT - PEOPLE FEEL LET DOWN THAT WE ARE THINKING SO VERY SMALL IN THE TRANSFER MARKET.

OK, those are the prevailing views around my part of Newcastle and amongst the lifelong supporters that I know.

ME?  I feel most of what they feel, and that I have tried to reflect above . . . but I have had a season ticket since 1969 (the season after we won the European Fairs Cup . . . glory-hunter that I am!!) - and I am not giving up now!

Great post. :nods:

I think you've summed up precisely how I feel about things at the club there - except I won't be getting a season ticket because I simply can't afford it.

I can't even afford a Sky subscription anymore. In a weird way, the lack of transfer activity is a kinda relief for me, because it means not being able to afford it all right now is made just a little bit easier to take.

That said it goes without saying I'd love to see Ashley step it up and just go mental in the transfer market a la Abramovic in his first summer as Chelsea owner - but let's be frank here...the credit crunch (or at least the general economic environment right now) may be part of the reason why Ashley's being a bit more circumspect in his dealings thus far.

It's frustrating, sure...but it's understandable on one level as well. Season ticket holders who stick at it through thick and thin, whilst laudable for their loyalty, may well be doing so to the detriment of their families wellbeing, and I just cannot fathom that. 

Following other views (Credit Crunch, etc) I have just done a fair bit of 'ringing around' this morning, before commenting further.

The Keegan 'we are 2nd rate' outburst has had the most impact - far and away the most, with the 'low profile / buying unknowns if any' transfers situation a close second.  Combined, they are why a surprisingly large number of really life-long fans of all ages, are 'losing a bit of interest'.  This is then, sometimes, being reflected in them not buying or renewing season tickets.

The 'credit crunch' type issues are not having too much impact, as the type of die-hard/always go to every match person I know, has ALWAYS deprived himself (not the family) of pretty much everything else to get to the match anyway - they are just working a bit harder at it!!

So, amongst my circle of 'football mates' (which is quite diverse in types and ages) the Keegan outburst is the killer, followed by the ongoing (at this point in time) low-grade transfer activity.

Oh well, at least the support inside the ground will be more realistic in their outlook next year. I find the notion that Keegan's outburst killed expectations for fans who hadnt finished anywhere near the top 5 of the league for the last 5 years and had only achieved it a handful of times in the preceeding 40 years utterly laughable. So (and lets remember that reality is a constant in this) if the manager said 'we're gonna win the league' and spent all the club's money on an expensive striker, you'd be happier to re-new?

What a bunch of fannies.

Guest neesy111

We''ll see ?

First sign of mediocrity, brought about by buying real mediocre players, will be mediorcre ticket sales [by the standards we are used to]

Good business.

The first sign of mediocrity was bringing in Souness as manager although I understand why you wouldn't agree with that.  The season ticket sales weren't brilliant last season either, that's why the club could sell half season tickets to kids for something like £30.

well well well. Said I'd go but I will reply. Souness has been gone 3 years now, yes he made an arse of things but we recovered and finished 7th and reached an FA Cup Semi Final.

We have a new board, with new optimism [joke], and they have had time now to show us the direction they want to take the club in. This is what this thread is about ie reflected in the ticket sales. Keegan the first time round was hardly in the door before the season tickets were sold out and there was a waiting list a mile long.

I realise why you won't admit that this is true. But its the same as a lot of things you won't admit.

Night night.

You have got to be kidding? ???

no.

I said the direction of the club. Why do you think ticket sales are down, if they continue to go down. Do you seriously think if the public thought the team was on the up they would pass up the chance to get a season ticket, or not keep the one they have ?

They haven't had time to show anything at all yet.

How do you know the season tickets are down & if you do know, do you think that is solely down to the last 12 months?

Do you think people are more pissed off with the last 12 months, than the previous 12 months which was the last year of the previous regime?

simple fact is, if people perceive the club as not being worth spending the money, then they won't.  So if they are down on last year, and the year before, then its because they see it as less worthwhile. Not what was expected ?

Speaking for myself, I'll go regardless.

Am I more or less happy ? I don't know. I'm disappointed, very disappointed in fact. But I've felt worse, although not for a long time

about the general direction of the club.

It's good business to get players through the door that will attract the public to get their arses on the seats by making them think the club is progressive [and we won't even mention other prospective signings].  Not the other way round.

you have to be joking?

people will go to watch football match's if they feel like they are worth it, although the last 12 months have been bad, it was the previous 3 seasons before that would of made people's mind's up.  The old regime was to blame for last season (allardyce) and for everything before that.  You point about spending money is bollocks, remember when we didn't spend a penny in 03/04, that didn't stop people going ffs.

this club is in a whole better shape it was, it was rotten to the core this time last year, with no recruitment policy, no academy policy, no communication with the fans at all.  And season tickets we're quite a bit down last season as well.

Oh well, at least the support inside the ground will be more realistic in their outlook next year. I find the notion that Keegan's outburst killed expectations for fans who hadnt finished anywhere near the top 5 of the league for the last 5 years and had only achieved it a handful of times in the preceeding 40 years utterly laughable. So (and lets remember that reality is a constant in this) if the manager said 'we're gonna win the league' and spent all the club's money on an expensive striker, you'd be happier to re-new?

What a bunch of fannies.

5 years ago we'd just finished 3rd and were about to play a CL qualifier.

What a bunch of fannies.

I know it's a free country, but what you have written is a load of rubbish!!

You appear to have no notion whatsoever of what it is like to be a "dedicated / obsessed / realistic / delightfully unrealistic / dreaming / hoping-against-hope" Newcastle United supporter.

You would not last five minutes in the good company that I have kept for nearly 40 years of going to the match!!

Nothing against accountants (I know some) but are you an accountant?

What a bunch of fannies.

Nit-picking, the last 5 finshes are 12, 13, 7, 14 and 5. Is what i meant.

What a bunch of fannies.

I'd call 5th pretty near the top 5 like, and it's only 2 seasons since we almost expected to be in Europe every year.

The point being that it's only the last couple of seasons where the expectation has dropped to being a mid table team at best, even last season there was an expectation from most that Allardyce would get us back in contention.

The current perception is that Keegan isn't being backed with cash for the coming season, so there's no realistic prospect of us doing significantly better next year than last. If it's going to be a long and gradual process of improvement, it's not surprising that a number of supporters will just give it a rest for a couple of seasons and wait for that process to come to fruition.

What a bunch of fannies.

You appear to have no notion whatsoever of what it is like to be a "dedicated / obsessed / realistic / delightfully unrealistic / dreaming / hoping-against-hope" Newcastle United supporter.

You would not last five minutes in the good company that I have kept for nearly 40 years of going to the match!!

I would not last 5 minutes, how's that like, you going to crush us under your scintilating wit and piss-taking banter and call us an accountant?

No, i'm not but i do travel 1500km 10-15 times a season and spend about 3k doing it to see matches. You think i dont know blind optimism with that investment and level of effort? Its a 2 day round trip for me to go and see the match. That doesnt mean i have to take on the manner of a spoilt 5 year old because things arent going the way i want them to. Thats life.

You talk about blind faith and yet you're jacking it in? And i'm talking shite?

What a bunch of fannies.

I'd call 5th pretty near the top 5 like, and it's only 2 seasons since we almost expected to be in Europe every year.

The point being that it's only the last couple of seasons where the expectation has dropped to being a mid table team at best, even last season there was an expectation from most that Allardyce would get us back in contention.

The current perception is that Keegan isn't being backed with cash for the coming season, so there's no realistic prospect of us doing significantly better next year than last. If it's going to be a long and gradual process of improvement, it's not surprising that a number of supporters will just give it a rest for a couple of seasons and wait for that process to come to fruition.

We've dropped back in the pack and its not all our fault, thats the point about a competition, there are other competitors.

Guest neesy111

this still all come's back to the souness appointment

he split the nucleus of a very good team

replaced them with a half wits

got all his mates jobs here

then leave with a massive pay off, and leave us on the verge of relegation

What a bunch of fannies.

I would not last 5 minutes, how's that like, you going to crush us under your scintilating wit and piss-taking banter and call us an accountant?

No, i'm not but i do travel 1500km 10-15 times a season and spend about 3k doing it to see matches. You think i dont know blind optimism with that investment and level of effort? Its a 2 day round trip for me to go and see the match. That doesnt mean i have to take on the manner of a spoilt 5 year old because things arent going the way i want them to. Thats life.

You talk about blind faith and yet you're jacking it in? And i'm talking shite?

To be fair, i don't think manorpark was talking about jacking it in.

this still all come's back to the souness appointment

he split the nucleus of a very good team

replaced them with a half wits

got all his mates jobs here

then leave with a massive pay off, and leave us on the verge of relegation

I think the rot had set in some time before Souness's arrival, to be blunt. But really - must we keep on going over and over the same old ground again and again. The way this forum keeps going back to the same old same old is just like a dog returning to its own vomit.

:-X

What a bunch of fannies.

You talk about blind faith and yet you're jacking it in? And i'm talking s****?

Chez - I did specifically say thet I was NOT jacking it in!!!

I am only trying to reflect what I find to be the 'majority views' of my own circle, which (as said) covers a lot of ages and types . . .  even accountants, who are LOVELY people . . .

What a bunch of fannies.

I am only trying to reflect what I find to be the 'majority views' of my own circle, which (as said) covers a lot of ages and types . . .  even accountants, who are LOVELY people . . .

you should really be having a dig at the "fairweather fans" who cancel their Sky subscription, and won't fork out for travel a short journey to home games, they're precisely the sorts of wankers you should be having a go at...lightweight glory-hunting "Keegan (first-time round) Bandwagon Jumpers" who are such an embarrassment to the good name of the Toon Army.  :tickedoff:

What a bunch of fannies.

OK, sorry, i mis-read it. I'm NOT a bloody bean-counter either!!! ;)

We''ll see ?

First sign of mediocrity, brought about by buying real mediocre players, will be mediorcre ticket sales [by the standards we are used to]

Good business.

The first sign of mediocrity was bringing in Souness as manager although I understand why you wouldn't agree with that.  The season ticket sales weren't brilliant last season either, that's why the club could sell half season tickets to kids for something like £30.

well well well. Said I'd go but I will reply. Souness has been gone 3 years now, yes he made an arse of things but we recovered and finished 7th and reached an FA Cup Semi Final.

We have a new board, with new optimism [joke], and they have had time now to show us the direction they want to take the club in. This is what this thread is about ie reflected in the ticket sales. Keegan the first time round was hardly in the door before the season tickets were sold out and there was a waiting list a mile long.

I realise why you won't admit that this is true. But its the same as a lot of things you won't admit.

Night night.

You have got to be kidding? ???

no.

I said the direction of the club. Why do you think ticket sales are down, if they continue to go down. Do you seriously think if the public thought the team was on the up they would pass up the chance to get a season ticket, or not keep the one they have ?

They haven't had time to show anything at all yet.

How do you know the season tickets are down & if you do know, do you think that is solely down to the last 12 months?

Do you think people are more pissed off with the last 12 months, than the previous 12 months which was the last year of the previous regime?

simple fact is, if people perceive the club as not being worth spending the money, then they won't.  So if they are down on last year, and the year before, then its because they see it as less worthwhile. Not what was expected ?

Speaking for myself, I'll go regardless.

Am I more or less happy ? I don't know. I'm disappointed, very disappointed in fact. But I've felt worse, although not for a long time

about the general direction of the club.

It's good business to get players through the door that will attract the public to get their arses on the seats by making them think the club is progressive [and we won't even mention other prospective signings].  Not the other way round.

you have to be joking?

people will go to watch football match's if they feel like they are worth it, although the last 12 months have been bad, it was the previous 3 seasons before that would of made people's mind's up. 

eh ?

What are you on ? Are you saying they made their minds up to stop going 3 years ago but continued going ?

The old regime was to blame for last season (allardyce) and for everything before that.  You point about spending money is bollocks, remember when we didn't spend a penny in 03/04, that didn't stop people going ffs.

including the Champions League and regular European football. Bad days.

this club is in a whole better shape it was , it was rotten to the core this time last year, with no recruitment policy, no academy policy, no communication with the fans at all .  And season tickets we're quite a bit down last season as well.

not when they lose out on their prime transfer targets and can only get feebies and reserve players nobody else competes for it isn't.

2nd bit of bold is the biggest joke statement I've read for ages

It's revealing how Shepherd got a bad rap for buying players and making promises just to get ST renewals and now some are refusing to renew because those promises aren't there this time. Looks like he had a spot on judgement of how to keep sales.

To be fair Dave, they also bought a lot of players long before the end of transfer windows, and after getting ticket money in. But all clubs do the same in both cases.

What people have to realise is, as you say, football supporters need to be optimistic, all clubs with any sense feeds on it, this is what its all about. The new regime has to start understanding football, and the needs of the clubs supporters.

This no publicity malarkey that they seem to be happy with, really does no good to either the club or the supporters.