Season ticket sales dwindling?

Guest BooBoo

It's about time we punched our weight that's for certain, especially now we have a manager who we know will do right by the club. If it wasn't for Kev we wouldn't have any of these things today, we came a long way in such a short space of time. People take things for granted far too much iyam, but that's the modern day football fan for you.

This is just off the rumour mill but i hear that the club is slightly concerned about the amount of people who have not renewed their season tickets.

I for one have heard of lots of people who have called it a day and not renewed, yet havent heard of a single person who is buying a season ticket for the first time this season.

I seriously think that without a few excitement generating players incoming, then we'll be struggling to top 50,000 for most of the games this season (some like Man Utd and the Mackems are always going to sell out).

Have people just had enough or is there more to it?

the penny is dropping

We've had four very average at best seasons now though.

That's the reason IMO, although these rumours start about this time every year.

We''ll see ?

First sign of mediocrity, brought about by buying real mediocre players, will be mediorcre ticket sales [by the standards we are used to]

Good business.

Like Sibierski and Bernard you mean? ;)

Precisely.  Really don't understand people (particularly older people) writing off players before they've even seen them.

Truth is we've been signing mediocre players for years.  To suggest it's something new is fucking stupid.

nobody is saying we haven't Liam mate, but we also bought quality players, and top players to show the supporters the club was aiming to be successful.

There is a difference, and I suspect you know this.

Anyway, having said my piece - and agreeing also with Chez Givens comments - I'll go so I don't get accused of turning it into another old board/new board fest again, although it seems pretty unaviodable, and I'm sure I wouldn't get this sort of accusation if I had the opposite view.

But I don't. Only one man can change that.

This is just off the rumour mill but i hear that the club is slightly concerned about the amount of people who have not renewed their season tickets.

I for one have heard of lots of people who have called it a day and not renewed, yet havent heard of a single person who is buying a season ticket for the first time this season.

I seriously think that without a few excitement generating players incoming, then we'll be struggling to top 50,000 for most of the games this season (some like Man Utd and the Mackems are always going to sell out).

Have people just had enough or is there more to it?

the penny is dropping

We've had four very average at best seasons now though.

That's the reason IMO, although these rumours start about this time every year.

We''ll see ?

First sign of mediocrity, brought about by buying real mediocre players, will be mediorcre ticket sales [by the standards we are used to]

Good business.

Like Sibierski and Bernard you mean? ;)

stop misrepresenting me  ;D

what strikes me as quite amazing, is the amount of people subconciously commenting from the point of view that they think we are a big club, have been acting like one, and now are disappointed that we aren't anymore.

We were 3rd class - almost - when Keegan came the first time and he still packed them in, and didn't take long for the 36,000 stadium to be obviously too small.

we were 4th class.....the man utds etc were always up top then the secure in the top tier teams (spurs ,everton etc)then a mish-mash of teams going up and down,then a group of teams struggling against dropping in the abyss.

We''ll see ?

Good business.

The first sign of mediocrity was bringing in Souness as manager although I understand why you wouldn't agree with that.  The season ticket sales weren't brilliant last season either, that's why the club could sell half season tickets to kids for something like £30.

I dont get Manorpark's sentiments about us being second class. Does financial reality not matter in his world?

Firstly, I am not talking about any 'financial realities' - I am talking about peoples feelings and how this has affected their decisions whether to renew season tickets or not.

Secondly, if you bring the separate issue of financial reality into it, the club has been part of a (far out on their own) "group of five" huge turnover clubs in the UK for over 10 long years.  Now, we have been caught and are 6th in the UK in terms of income (the huge gap between 5th and 6th has now been eroded) BUT - this has been counterbalanced by the fact that we for the first time have a billionaire owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There should be no 'financial realities' (still large income PLUS billionaire owners top-ups) that should hold us back - quite the reverse.

BUT - that was not what I was talking about.

We were 5th in that group of 5. Why are you so upset that Keegan thinks being in that position again at the end of this season is about the best we can hope for in the circumstances, is what i meant.

Then you begin to confuse whats actually the problem here. Are you saying that we could be bigger than 5th, if we just 'thought it' or something? Is that why you say our financial situation should be the reverse? Not sure what you mean.

Finding it hard to find much logic in this, sorry if that sounds harsh. Its peoples feelings about what exactly that are stopping them from re-newing? The fact that Ashley should be doing something akin to the geordie Abramovich but is being tight? The fact that we cant seem to attract the right player or spend the right amount of money on them? Well, welcome to the last 5 years. Whats changed so much?

We''ll see ?

Good business.

The first sign of mediocrity was bringing in Souness as manager although I understand why you wouldn't agree with that.  The season ticket sales weren't brilliant last season either, that's why the club could sell half season tickets to kids for something like £30.

well well well. Said I'd go but I will reply. Souness has been gone 3 years now, yes he made an arse of things but we recovered and finished 7th and reached an FA Cup Semi Final.

We have a new board, with new optimism [joke], and they have had time now to show us the direction they want to take the club in. This is what this thread is about ie reflected in the ticket sales. Keegan the first time round was hardly in the door before the season tickets were sold out and there was a waiting list a mile long.

I realise why you won't admit that this is true. But its the same as a lot of things you won't admit.

Night night.

We''ll see ?

Good business.

well well well. Said I'd go but I will reply. Souness has been gone 3 years now, yes he made an arse of things but we recovered and finished 7th and reached an FA Cup Semi Final.

We have a new board, with new optimism [joke], and they have had time now to show us the direction they want to take the club in. This is what this thread is about ie reflected in the ticket sales. Keegan the first time round was hardly in the door before the season tickets were sold out and there was a waiting list a mile long.

I realise why you won't admit that this is true. But its the same as a lot of things you won't admit.

Night night.

Didn't we finish higher last season though than Shepherd's last one in charge?  >:D

We''ll see ?

Good business.

Night night.

You have got to be kidding? ???

We''ll see ?

Good business.

Night night.

no.

I said the direction of the club. Why do you think ticket sales are down, if they continue to go down. Do you seriously think if the public thought the team was on the up they would pass up the chance to get a season ticket, or not keep the one they have ?

We''ll see ?

Good business.

Night night.

no.

I said the direction of the club. Why do you think ticket sales are down, if they continue to go down. Do you seriously think if the public thought the team was on the up they would pass up the chance to get a season ticket, or not keep the one they have ?

They haven't had time to show anything at all yet.

How do you know the season tickets are down & if you do know, do you think that is solely down to the last 12 months?

Do you think people are more pissed off with the last 12 months, than the previous 12 months which was the last year of the previous regime?

Guest elbee909

If season ticket sales are down it's because people are prioritising other purchases over NUFC; and that's not that surprising with energy and fuel bills increasing and having a knock on effect everywhere.

But of course, it's more down to Ashley not having spent 250 million.

If season ticket sales are down it's because people are prioritising other purchases over NUFC; and that's not that surprising with energy and fuel bills increasing and having a knock on effect everywhere.

The tight bastard should be paying our fuel bills.

Guest elbee909

The tight bastard should be paying our fuel bills.

Just do what I do, buy shit-cheap T-shirts at Sports World and throw those on the fire.

Night night.

:lol:

You're right Souness has been gone 3 years, luckily we beat everybody else to Roeder to replace Souness as manager.  Ashley has had 1 year to turn around the mess which the club was in.  Were you shouting for the chairmans head during our 2 x 13th finishes?  Or the 2 x 11th places we managed to follow them up with? 

We''ll see ?

Good business.

Night night.

no.

How do you know the season tickets are down & if you do know, do you think that is solely down to the last 12 months?

Do you think people are more pissed off with the last 12 months, than the previous 12 months which was the last year of the previous regime?

simple fact is, if people perceive the club as not being worth spending the money, then they won't.  So if they are down on last year, and the year before, then its because they see it as less worthwhile. Not what was expected ?

Speaking for myself, I'll go regardless.

Am I more or less happy ? I don't know. I'm disappointed, very disappointed in fact. But I've felt worse, although not for a long time

about the general direction of the club.

It's good business to get players through the door that will attract the public to get their arses on the seats by making them think the club is progressive [and we won't even mention other prospective signings].  Not the other way round.

We''ll see ?

Good business.

Night night.

no.

simple fact is, if people perceive the club as not being worth spending the money, then they won't.  So if they are down on last year, and the year before, then its because they see it as less worthwhile. Not what was expected ?

Speaking for myself, I'll go regardless.

Am I more or less happy ? I don't know. I'm disappointed, very disappointed in fact. But I've felt worse, although not for a long time

about the general direction of the club.

It's good business to get players through the door that will attract the public to get their arses on the seats by making them think the club is progressive [and we won't even mention other prospective signings].  Not the other way round.

You're far too blinkered if you think people's decisions are solely down to the investment of the owner, particularly in the current economic climate.

Were you really happier with the direction of the club, say, 18 months ago than you are now?

Why were you more optimistic 18 months ago?

Why fork out £600 when you can join the membership scheme for £20 and pick and choose your games knowing you will be guaranteed tickets?

i do pick and choose my games, i want to go to all the home games and as many of the away games as possible

:celb:

Going to the match is overrated, I wont miss going to most games. There are aspects of being at a ground I will miss (If I  don't blag/buy a ticket) like the team running out to play Sunderland at SJP, traveling to SOL, them mad seconds after a goal is scored, you just don't celebrate at home or in the pub the same way.  But with Sky, Setanta, the net & a local that shows the games, I reckon I will see every home & away game.

I'm don't live in Newcastle any more but I think it's a combination of reasons. When Fat Fred was here you always had the hope that if someone new came in who had the money, then we'd start competing again. Now that Ashley has come in, things have not improved on the pitch which is where it counts! So what hope is there?

Things may be a lot better behind the scenes but I don't really care (that might sound ignorant but all the top teams have mountains of debt) the signings we've made so far are pretty mediocre. No football club has the right to expect to sell out a 52,000 stadium with the signings we've made recently. We'll see who comes in over the next few weeks but it's not looking promising at the moment!

Also don't believe the economy has anything to do with not selling enough tickets. As a one city/regional club, with a half decent team we'd sell out no problem.

Also don't believe the economy has anything to do with not selling enough tickets. As a one city/regional club, with a half decent team we'd sell out no problem.

In which case you must be fucking minted, or just completely unaware of how hard the economy is biting some people. Cloud cuckoo land, tbh.

In which case you must be fucking minted, or just completely unaware of how hard the economy is biting some people. Cloud cuckoo land, tbh.

To be fair you've needed to have quite a few quid to spare to attend football matches for years now, it's not a new thing. People who could afford it last year will in general be able to afford it now IMO. Obviously agree some will be tipped over the edge by the cost of living at the moment like. :thup:

To be fair you've needed to have quite a few quid to spare to attend football matches for years now, it's not a new thing. People who could afford it last year will in general be able to afford it now IMO. Obviously agree some will be tipped over the edge by the cost of living at the moment like. :thup:

Yeah I appreciate it's not a new thing Dave. But I think a lot of people, saddled with fucking huge credit card debts, mortgages they could barely afford at the best of times, and facing spiralling energy and fuel prices may well have reached their tipping point. I earn a decent wedge like, but I'm having to cut back on loads of things I once considered essentials but are now merely luxuries.

In which case you must be f***ing minted, or just completely unaware of how hard the economy is biting some people. Cloud cuckoo land, tbh.

Yeah I appreciate it's not a new thing Dave. But I think a lot of people, saddled with f***ing huge credit card debts, mortgages they could barely afford at the best of times, and facing spiralling energy and fuel prices may well have reached their tipping point. I earn a decent wedge like, but I'm having to cut back on loads of things I once considered essentials but are now merely luxuries.

serious...is it that bad ? we've cut back a tad but the main cut backs are for a reason nowt to do with the crunch.