Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

His lack of goals is the real issue ffs!!! Forget the attitude stuff & being late as the reasons if he was scoring goals blind eyes would be at work.

nope, it's his all round play thats doing him in.

Unless I've worked it out wrong (which I probably have), at the same age Carroll had 3 senior goals with us.

Ranger's number of senior goals?

If Carroll had been given ten minutes here and there in the Championship season he would've struggled to put a run together as well.  I don't see why Ranger can't go out on loan and have the other bloody club play his wages.

I'm not saying Ranger will go on to be the next Carroll but I'd probably rather not let another team find out.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

At the moment, he's an athlete with next to no footballing ability. Is it worth persevering?

At the moment, he's an athlete with next to no footballing ability. Is it worth persevering?

This is my point though, there's plenty of posts just like this in the Carroll thread in 2009.

As I said, I don't know if he'll turn out to be the next Carroll but I'd rather we at least waited until after a loan somewhere.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

This is my point though, there's plenty of posts just like this in the Carroll thread in 2009.

As I said, I don't know if he'll turn out to be the next Carroll but I'd rather we at least waited until after a loan somewhere.

I wasn't directly replying to your post, mate. :thup:

I just can't see it happening in regards to Ranger.

I would rather we play Ranger than Amoebi, Lovenkrands any day of the week.  He has the makings to be a a good player, sending him out on loan won't hurt anyone.

You keep saying he is not the next Carroll so stop linking him to Carroll. Think of Ranger more on a par with Paul Robinson.

It was quite clear that manager had faith in AC whether it was Shearer picking him for the Stoke game above Oba or CH making him the main striker when we went down, managers are just not backing Ranger because they are quite clearly not convinced.

I think its how he is as a person that has brought this about, he has talent but just refuses to grow up, the lad is so thick he just can't see it.

Its a shame but no great loss really.

BUT Its the Sunday Sun so could all be bollocks

You keep saying he is not the next Carroll so stop linking him to Carroll. Think of Ranger more on a par with Paul Robinson.

It was quite clear that manager had faith in AC whether it was Shearer picking him for the Stoke game above Oba or CH making him the main striker when we went down, managers are just not backing Ranger because they are quite clearly not convinced.

I'm saying he's not the next Carroll but comparing him to him.  That's how comparisons generally work...I can't explain it any more simply.

Hughton picked Carroll in Championship because we had no-one else.  If we hadn't been relegated then Carroll wouldn't have been given the chance he got.

Edit - fwiw as well, didn't Shearer want Ranger tied down on a long term contract?  So he must have rated him as he did with Carroll.

Guest toonlass

I would rather we play Ranger than Amoebi, Lovenkrands any day of the week. 

I wouldn't. At least Lovenkrands and Ameobi score goals.

The Sunday Sun :D It's all clear.

There is that fact, also NO quotes from club or player and NO tweets by Nile about it and I am sure he would have had something to say on the matter.

If Shearer had become manager he wanted Frazier Campbell to spearhead the attack if you remember rightly. Carroll would have only been second or third choice, after Ameobi I assume.

I think this may be something to jolt him into action and into taking things more seriously. I'd like to see Ranger go on loan to Forest or something, a promotion challenger - being first choice under a good manager. Even Cardiff if Hughton takes over. This summer I feel is too soon to get rid - monitor how he copes with being put on transfer list etc and see how he develops somewhere else. If he's still a gangsta one year on - get rid. Its relatively low risk to keep him, especially if he's nowhere near the squad next season.

Loads of potential, no goals, crap attitude, photographed Gangsta, probably a bit unpopular in the dressing room. We are desperate for strikers and I'd have sent him out on loan but we may have just decided enough is enough.

The message to the other youngsters should be; work hard and get the rewards; piss about and get sold.

Like many others, i think Ranger should be loaned out to a Championship club rather than sold. Carroll's playing time in the Championship improved him no end and he was then able to make the step up to the Premiership. I genuinely believe he is around the level of ability that Carroll showed 2 years ago when he was the same age as Ranger. He will become a good player if he keeps his head down and works hard, gaining experience from loan move.  :sadnod:

There is always the risk we sell him and he ends up banging in the goals elsewhere but I think its more likely he will just fk up at his new club and end up disappearing from the football world.

He is 20 years old and still acts like he is 14, how long did he think the club would take his behaviour when they have other young dedicated players waiting for their chance, such as Phil Airey. Nile being here just holds up the progress of others, sorry Nile but if it is true then tough shit, you had ya chance and you fkd it.

I just can't see what we would lose by sending him out on loan for half a season in the Championship. He'd be someone else's problem and we'll see if he can play. He's barely into a five-year contract, it's not like we risk losing him for nothing, or less if he wasn't a success wherever he went. If he scores a few goals but comes back a twat/still not good enough then we'll only get more money for him for those goals.

Seems stupid as fuck to just get rid now, from a financial perspective as well as footballing.

I just can't see what we would lose by sending him out on loan for half a season in the Championship. He'd be someone else's problem and we'll see if he can play. He's barely into a five-year contract, it's not like we risk losing him for nothing, or less if he wasn't a success wherever he went. If he scores a few goals but comes back a t***/still not good enough then we'll only get more money for him for those goals.

Seems stupid as f*** to just get rid now.

:thup:

It's just idiocy selling him now. Send him on loan, see if he makes progress playing regularily and monitor him. If he doesn't progress as a player, get rid. No harm done. If he does progress we potentially have another good striker on our hands. ???

This seems a bit too rash so early in his career, but he must really have attitude problems that we haven't heard of if they're willing to let him go.

Attitude problems the club weren't aware of when they dished out a long contract for him? Can't see it. He's always been a div, and was in trouble with the law before we even signed him.